Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Winterize 2020 Forest River 264dbh

So I put 6 gallons on antifreeze in fresh water tank and the pump couldn’t pull it through the lines very well to the fixtures. Any ideas what I did wrong???
Very frustrated
Gnuters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnuters View Post
So I put 6 gallons on antifreeze in fresh water tank and the pump couldn’t pull it through the lines very well to the fixtures. Any ideas what I did wrong???
Very frustrated
I'd say what you did wrong was to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Most on this site recommend against that for a couple of reasons. 1.) it's hard to get the taste, color, smell, etc., out of your tank. 2. fresh water pick-up hoses aren't usually at the low point of a fresh water tank which means one often must put TOO much antifreeze in the tank for the pump to pick it up.

Do you not have a winterizing kit installed with a valve to switch from fresh water to antifreeze pick-up?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'd say what you did wrong was to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Most on this site recommend against that for a couple of reasons. 1.) it's hard to get the taste, color, smell, etc., out of your tank. 2. fresh water pick-up hoses aren't usually at the low point of a fresh water tank which means one often must put TOO much antifreeze in the tank for the pump to pick it up.

Do you not have a winterizing kit installed with a valve to switch from fresh water to antifreeze pick-up?

Mr. Dan I do not have a winterizing kit, also we don’t drink water out of the fresh water tank. It’s such a pain to get to the back of the water heater and the water pump is back there also.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

Is your pump up under the bed? If so, here is a write-up I did last year...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-172340.html
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Never put antifreeze in fresh water tank. Im not sure where you found instructions to do that, immediately delete that content, any bookmarks to it, and don't listen to anything else that person, site, manual ever say again.

How do you bypass your water heater? You have to get back there to do that no matter how much of a "pain" it is. You may be much better off having an RV service/dealer do this for you. Money well spent and much cheaper then the alternative.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnuters View Post
Mr. Dan I do not have a winterizing kit, also we don’t drink water out of the fresh water tank. It’s such a pain to get to the back of the water heater and the water pump is back there also.
Oh my. If you're running the antifreeze through the FW tank and not putting the water heater in bypass mode then it's going to take a WHOLE LOT of antifreeze before it flows through the faucets.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #7

My forest river 25 ft 2401R has a closet just pas ref. Under it is a drawer that can be removed and a panel under that. Which allows u to get to all valves related Ed to hot water tank! If you have that ck it out, the drawer can be utube to show up how to remove!
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

Got it figured out, thanks guys!! Still a pain in the butt. The pump is under the bed in the front of camper no access panels
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Oh my. If you're running the antifreeze through the FW tank and not putting the water heater in bypass mode then it's going to take a WHOLE LOT of antifreeze before it flows through the faucets.
Imagine... LOL Nothing about maintenance has ever been just pressing a button, at least with the RV's I've owned. If its easy, your most likely doing it wrong.

With so many great resources available these days, imagine what people did 25 years ago attempting to winterize...
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, winter, winterize