Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Winterizing 274 DBH and pump access

So I attempted to winterize my Cherokee 274dbh this weekend.....

My water pump is locate in the back of the storage compartment behind the outside shower - it appears that FR mounted the pump with the inlet in the back where I can't reach/fit to access it.

I'm guessing my only option is to forgoe the antifreeze in the lines and just blow them out now. Anyone have any reccomendations on a decent air compressor? Would something 12v work since I don't have access to plug in a compressor at the storage lot?

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Jr. member & newbie

You could pour 4-5 gallons of pink stuff into the empty water tank and use your regular water pump to purge the lines. Be sure to bypass the hot water heater.

Or you can buy a hand pump for about $15 that pulls antifreeze out of the bottle and forces it into the water hose connection on the outside of the trailer.

I doubt if a 12V compressor would work. I find I have to have about 45 PSI to clear the low spots in the piping. I think you will need something with a tank and regulator.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

This may be a little late....we have the same TT. What I did was drained low point drains, blew out the lines, put plugs back on drain lines and took out the anode from water heater, pulled panel off water bypass (under sink there is a panel, two screws square drive, remove panel and bypass is hidden there) poured the antifreeze into the fresh tank, (4 gallons). turned on water pump, opened valves on the kitchen sink, cold then hot, one at a time. Turned them off Then did the bathsink, toilet, shower, then outside shower until dark pink color was flowing. Opened freshwater drain and drained leftover antifreeze back into bottle and put drain cap back on. Not hard to do just time consuming.
Any other question about you 274, send me a pm. I've been over our TT with a fine tooth comb and know every inch of it.
Take care.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Old 12-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Oh FYI. Get a 1 1/16" socket with a 4" extension it will help you remove the anode rod from the water heater. Make sure your electric switch is off for water heater. It's on left hand side, under the wiring in the water heater panel.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I ended up with a 6g pancake compressor by Husky. Bypassed the HW heater and blew out the lines one at a time. Used the anti-freeze in each drain, p-trap, and toilet. Pulled anode and drained HW heater.

Hopefully I got it all - I REALLY don't feel like making plumbing repairs in the spring.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Did you "flush" the toilet (push the pedal down) while blowing out the lines? And the outside shower? Other than those two items I believe you got it winterized.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

I did

Tags
pump, winter, winterize