Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 17RP dual batteries ??

Has anyone put dual batteries on a 17RP and how did you do it.

Mine has a series 24 battery and box on it and there is not enough width to put a second battery in the tray next to it. I would rather no slice and dice on a brand new trailer but if that is what it takes I just might.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Marc
lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

OK I see that I am not the only one stumped by this.

I guess my choices are get a group 27 battery and box and mount it in the original position, or get some 2" angle iron and weld it to the top of the hitch frame making a new battery mount tray that is long enough to hold 2 batteries of either the 24 series or the 27 series. Time to get out the sparkle wrench.

Marc
Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Update for anyone interested.

As mine had a 24 series battery on it I just bought another battery box and another matching group 24 battery. By cutting the handles off one end of the lower battery boxes there was enough room in the existing tray to mount both batteries. I cut part of the lid off one battery and installed the second battery in the opposite orientation and was able to get both lids on. Jumper cables were purchased at NAPA for $10 each all made up with terminal ends on them.

I have also placed a disconnect switch on the negative lead to the trailer to shut it all off so the parasitic loads will not drain the batteries until they are needed.

So I now have double the amp hours of the original setup.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
Update for anyone interested.

As mine had a 24 series battery on it I just bought another battery box and another matching group 24 battery. By cutting the handles off one end of the lower battery boxes there was enough room in the existing tray to mount both batteries. I cut part of the lid off one battery and installed the second battery in the opposite orientation and was able to get both lids on. Jumper cables were purchased at NAPA for $10 each all made up with terminal ends on them.

I have also placed a disconnect switch on the negative lead to the trailer to shut it all off so the parasitic loads will not drain the batteries until they are needed.

So I now have double the amp hours of the original setup.
What brand battery are you using?

Also, how is the FJ as a Tow Vehicle for your Wolf Pup? I'm getting a Wolf Pup 18TO and may be pushing the weight cap, if loaded up
Trijicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

It came with a Interstate type 24 battery new so I just matched the batter with one just like it. As I only had it a couple of weeks it seemed the right time to do it so the batteries matched.

The towing capacity on the FJ is 5000lb so with the trailer empty weight of around 3000lbs I should be good to go.

I have only pulled it about 10 miles home from the dealer so don't have any open road experience with it yet, but on that short trip with lots of fairly big hills, it towed as good as my little 6x12 cargo trailer. I could barely tell it was back there.

I am sure that real mountain hills, and winds, and reality may be somewhat different however, but feel the FJ is up to the task and not over stressed in any way.

Marc