Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyusa View Post
I'm happy for all of you on your new 18TO. Does anyone planning on getting the slide out awning, I'm having of difficulty finding one that has all in a package, A lot of them are fabric only or rails without some parts, very confusing.

I was thinking about it and i've heard that there are pros and cons to them. They are great when it cones to leaves and small sticks when you close your slide nothing lets pulled in. On the other side, you have no way to clean and seal your slide out roof. And they can flap loosely or even tear during strong wind. I figured it may be less hassle and less cost to just get up on a small ladder and sweep off the leaves before you close the slideout.
WolfPup18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyusa View Post
So what holds the bed frame while it's up?
They made a wood strut down the middle of the bed. I can still access the storage area from inside but there is no hinge. Just two big pieces of plywood covering the storage.
Trijicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #23

I just dropped a deposit on an 18TO and pick it up in 11 days.

I have already started the modifications.......

I will be doing a lot of back-country camping, off the beaten path, so wanted a better wheel/tire combo. I wanted a bit more clearance and a tougher tire. I purchased 16" rims and some 'mudder' 235/80-16....10 ply tires.

Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #24

Nice Big John! What are you using as a tow vehicle?
patmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmac View Post
Nice Big John! What are you using as a tow vehicle?
2014 Ram 1500 Quad-Cab EcoDiesel 4x4.

The challenge with any 1/2 truck these days is the limitation on the pay load. The 18TO will probably have a functional, real-world tongue weight of 500lbs. I weight 230....the wife 130.....add 100lbs for 'stuff in the truck' and we are at 960lbs. The rating on our truck is 1,260, which leaves us with 300lbs of pay load. Throw in my Yamaha WR426 and 50 lbs of firewood and I am right at the limit.

And.... interesting that my 2018 18TO is a Forest River Cherokee, rather than a Wolf Pup. As far as I can tell, they are identical. But we did get a SMOKIN deal from AC Nelsen in Omaha. (A shame that Colorado dealers feel the need to add price their units between $3k-$5 higher than the mid-west dealers....with delivery costs generally $800 to $1,200. RIDICULOUS!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #26

Sounds like a nice setup. My Yukon XL only has a tongue rating of 600#. I added a weight distributing hitch to bump it up 1000# and now it only squats an inch. I bought mine from Indiana and used Uship to deliver to AZ because the prices are a lot higher here too.
patmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #27

Tires and rims arrived and I got them mounted up.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #28

Spare bunk mattress

We bought our 18TO on April and have used it twice. We love the size and comfort. The mattress is a little firm, a topper would be a good idea I think. What does everyone do to store the spare mattress that goes above the couch? If not in use we leave it at home. Any other ideas?
Norris1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #29

My tires are a little tall for the wheel well, so I am installing a 2.5" lift on the trailer this weekend. I'll post pics......

As for the extra mattress..... we tossed it in the house. We will never use that little bunk.

We love, love, love our 18TO!!!!! Our first weekend was boon-docking, way beyond other campers on Memorial Weekend, up a very rough road that required 4x4 Low in a couple of steep, rocky climbs.

Giddy Up!!!!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #30

2.5" square tubing that is 1/4" thick gave me the lift I needed for the proper clearance for the 235/80-16's.

I don't weld real purty.....but my welds are strong.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #31

Took our new 18to out for the first time this past weekend. Great upgrade for our family from a pop up. The only issue we ran into was a a faulty campground 30 amp breaker. We had to run on lp and battery all weekend. At least we learned a lot about the trailer. I'm buying a 30 amp surge protector before our next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	153271  
Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
Took our new 18to out for the first time this past weekend. Great upgrade for our family from a pop up. The only issue we ran into was a a faulty campground 30 amp breaker. We had to run on lp and battery all weekend. At least we learned a lot about the trailer. I'm buying a 30 amp surge protector before our next trip.

Very nice.

We were out this past weekend as well. This was our 5th camping trip since June and a total of 12 nights so far. We love our 18TO, with zero regrets or desire for some other camper. With our big tires and lift, we have been able to go into dispersed camping areas where very, very few campers dare to venture.

Here's a pic of our weekend......

Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
and some 'mudder' 235/80-16....10 ply tires.
Quote:
lift I needed for the proper clearance for the 235/80-16's.
John, part of the clearance problem is that you actually have 235/85-16 tires instead of the 235/80-16 tires you are stating you have.

These are larger in diameter than the 235/80-16's.

You can read it on the sidewalls of the pics you posted.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Very nice.

We were out this past weekend as well. This was our 5th camping trip since June and a total of 12 nights so far. We love our 18TO, with zero regrets or desire for some other camper. With our big tires and lift, we have been able to go into dispersed camping areas where very, very few campers dare to venture.

Here's a pic of our weekend......

Did you relocate your spare tire to the bumper? My spare is located on the back of the fold down rack. I would like to move it so I could leave the rack down during travel for added storage and not have the added weight of the spare.
Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Did you relocate your spare tire to the bumper? My spare is located on the back of the fold down rack. I would like to move it so I could leave the rack down during travel for added storage and not have the added weight of the spare.
I don't have the fold-down storage. I just moved the tire rack mount as far to the drivers side as I could and then I mounted the black storage box on the back that you can see in the pic.

And yes....it was a typo when I said it was an 80 profile. I have always known I had 85 profile tires. And those off-road lugs came in handy this past weekend, when we got off-road in some slick clay road bed that was off-camber. The trailer was sliding around behind us and I can't even imagine how bad it would have been with highway tires.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #36

We just got the 16fq. For the two of us it's perfect. Lacks outside storage, but lots of inside.
Katy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 AM   #37

Quote:

I upgraded from a pop-up to a Wolf Pup 16FQ in 2016. I love it, enjoy yours!
dstacy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #38

Mantooth and WolfPup18 thanks for the advice.

Big John cool upgrade, I am going to avoid taking a torch or welder to my rv as long as possible. Mainly due to my skill set.

There isn't much online about the 18to, so thank you all for posting. I read through all our posts twice before pulling the trigger on my 18to purchase. I felt like it was the most rv our suv could pull for the price. I will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

If I add any cool mods I well post again.
Davolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #39

2018 Wolf Pup 18TO - Bathroom

Does anyone know if you can access the bathroom when the slide out is retracted? I have a child with special needs that needs access sometimes on route to our destination
jay_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #40

Is everyone still satisfied with this trailer and has it performed without any major issues. I am probably going to purchase this camper this weekend.

I'll be pulling with a 2003 tundra v8 4x4 extended cab. 6900 is it's towing capacity so towing should not be an issue. I have a deal for an out the door price after taxes and fees of right around 13700. Seems like a great deal so I am excited.

I am just curious if anyone has had any major issues or repairs with their trailer and how reliable it will be for the next few years. I'm buying more than what we need now to hopefully still use it over the next few years as my kids get older.
Buyingnew is offline   Reply With Quote