Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

Wolf Pup Leaking from Grey Tank Area

My wife and I are in the process of moving to Oregon. We pulled the camper 2500 miles and camped over the four days that we were en route with no issues, although we didnít really check so we could have had issues.

When we arrived, my wife was taking a shower while I was outside. I noticed that water was dripping from below the shower area. Afterwards I checked the trap underneath the shower and the P-trap was a bit loose. Adjusted it and have confirmed that it is not the cause of the leak. Ran the shower again and after a while, sure enough water is dripping from underneath the grey tank.

I figured I would do some testing to see if itís only the shower that causes the leak and it doesnít appear to be. I ran the kitchen sink and sure enough after about 5 minutes of running the kitchen sink water starts dripping from the rear of the camper.

Could this be an issue where the lines all dump into the grey tank? Could this have happened while we were bouncing down the road for the last 2500 miles. Is there anything I can do? Something I read stated that the grey tank would have to be dropped, and that is certainly not something I have the tools to do where Iím currently located.

The challenge here is that Iím going to be living in this thing for the next couple of weeks to a month and this is a major problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Help!

2016 Super Crew F150
2017 Cherokee Wolfpup 18TO

josheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

If there is just underbelly below (i.e. no wood or under layment, nothing that can rot / rust away I wouldn't worry to much, until I got somewhere that I could fix the issue).

That said I would want to look and see what the problem was. You could use a small camera (i.e. endoscope, Amazon sells some for about $20), a cell phone camera with flash on works if you can reach in enough.

Most likely it is a PVC / ABS fitting that they didn't put enough glue on at the factory. It could be difficult to to replace or re-glue depending on location. They also make some rubber slip on connectors that would go on easier than a PVC / ABS coupling.

You may be able to fix without dropping the tank, but if you do make sure that you flush it very good. It can be almost as smelly as a black tank from food and grease in it from the kitchen sink etc.

Good Luck.

carbuthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks so much man, this is all good stuff. We are going to get under there again and see if we can get some pictures and then heading to an RV repair place to see what they think. Hopefully this is pretty easy fix (although a pain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuthn View Post
If there is just underbelly below (i.e. no wood or under layment, nothing that can rot / rust away I wouldn't worry to much, until I got somewhere that I could fix the issue).

That said I would want to look and see what the problem was. You could use a small camera (i.e. endoscope, Amazon sells some for about $20), a cell phone camera with flash on works if you can reach in enough.

Most likely it is a PVC / ABS fitting that they didn't put enough glue on at the factory. It could be difficult to to replace or re-glue depending on location. They also make some rubber slip on connectors that would go on easier than a PVC / ABS coupling.

You may be able to fix without dropping the tank, but if you do make sure that you flush it very good. It can be almost as smelly as a black tank from food and grease in it from the kitchen sink etc.

Good Luck.

2016 Super Crew F150

Old 09-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

Just curious, did you find the problem?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #5

So I actually did! (Or didnít, which was good)

I actually took your advice and started recording with my cell phone as far up in there as I could get it with the flash on. I left the water running from all faucets and I could not see even a drop leaking. The final experiment I devised was to let the gray water back up into the base of the shower. I let about 2 inches of water backup into the shower and then taped a marker at the surface of the water in the tub. 24 hours later that line was still stable, so I figured that the tank was not actually leaking.

I pulled the ďhatchĒ back open exposing the shower drain plumbing and made sure everything was still solid. Afterwards, widened my cut into the underbelly just enough to inspect the insulation, etc. I pulled out a little bit of the gross looking insulation, but everything else looked pretty good and was completely dry. I finished off the job by closing that back up with duct tape of course, and sheís as good as new!

I think I underestimated how much moisture was trapped under there and how long it would take to dry. Thankfully, looks like we dodged a bullet.

2016 Super Crew F150

Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

Good to hear it wasn't a real problem.

Tags
leak, tank, wolf pup