Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Wolf Pup Shoe Storage

After a few seasons, it was time to tackle this little project. A place for shoes has always been an issue. I’ve made a few mods to dinette storage, and other areas, but none as convenient as this location for shoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5827.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	215022

Name:	IMG_5825.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	215021
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

Excellent idea. I think that might work in my unit as well. That looks about 4-5" of depth at the top?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
Excellent idea. I think that might work in my unit as well. That looks about 4-5" of depth at the top?

I didn’t want to screw into the side of the cabinet, so I sized it to fit tight against that wall and door trim for extra support and used foam tape.

I’d say it’s 5”, but I will provide some measurements. I know it’s 22.5” long, used some scrap wood from my sons old slat bed frame lol.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

I would be concerned about screwing into the cabinet as well. My cabinet side is that brittle thin pressed wood that a sneeze could put a hole in.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
I would be concerned about screwing into the cabinet as well. My cabinet side is that brittle thin pressed wood that a sneeze could put a hole in.

Exactly, and there is no support behind it except at the edges, and the side of my fridge.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:

You were right on. It’s 4” at the top and down to 3/4” at the bottom.

Name:	IMG_5828.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	215036
Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Bracing against the trim is a good idea. Heavier shoes might cause issues on the other taped side. Keep us informed as to if you are happy with how it works long-term.
Plenty of room for two pair. But will weight be an issue?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Wolf Pup Shoe Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
I didn’t want to screw into the side of the cabinet, so I sized it to fit tight against that wall and door trim for extra support and used foam tape.

I’d say it’s 5”, but I will provide some measurements. I know it’s 22.5” long, used some scrap wood from my sons old slat bed frame lol.

I struggled and worried about mounting something in my RV. I finally decided if I really want it there and it isn’t gawd awful... chances are it will be good with the new owners if there ever is one.

Trust me. A few personal shelves and accessories added to a used RV that is kept in good shape...will not go against the price. Don’t believe me? Go look at some used RVs. The smell of most will turn you away.

I was in the trailer for a minute the other day with my 6 YO GS and he said “Pawpaw why does it smell good in here?” I said cause we try to take care of it. What I got from it....was that my house stinks. 🤨
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Bracing against the trim is a good idea. Heavier shoes might cause issues on the other taped side. Keep us informed as to if you are happy with how it works long-term.
Plenty of room for two pair. But will weight be an issue?
Two, possibly three pairs of shoes will fit. I'm also concerned it may pull away on the right side that is not supported by door frame. I will wait an see how it goes, if needed I can add a small 1" brace to help support, or if I really enjoy this build, I will just make it more permanent with some screws.

I've also added a thin piece of wood to protect the cabinet (Photo Below), I can only image what that cabinet will look like after a season of sliding shoes in an out (Worse then a few screw holes I was trying to avoid for sure).

Name:	IMG_5832.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	215044
Old 09-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Other Shoe Rack Design

This project was my wife's idea. She wanted shoe storage as well, and we don't use much of the storage below the first bench. This is an off-the-shelf shoe rack ($15) from target that i just built into the storage area. The flexible mold trim was $10, but worth it.
Attached Images

RTrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTrots View Post
This project was my wife's idea. She wanted shoe storage as well, and we don't use much of the storage below the first bench. This is an off-the-shelf shoe rack ($15) from target that i just built into the storage area. The flexible mold trim was $10, but worth it.
Very nice work, the trim adds a nice finished look. I was thinking about cutting into my under bed storage and doing something similar. That shelf looks perfect!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Wolf Pup Shoe Storage

Do you suppose "heavy duty" Velcro would keep it in place to avoid having to drill into cabinetry or wall panels? Just a thought.
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Do you suppose "heavy duty" Velcro would keep it in place to avoid having to drill into cabinetry or wall panels? Just a thought.
That may be a better idea. That way the rack could be removed easily for whatever reason. Space is tight in that area for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Velcro was a thought, just not sure if it will hold, or be one of those items that keeps falling off the wall. Im going to try it.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
Velcro was a thought, just not sure if it will hold, or be one of those items that keeps falling off the wall. Im going to try it.
You could try a few of those Command Strips. 3 or 4 should hold it.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
I only had a little time this morning (sorry no photos), and pulled off the foam tape. Replaced with a strip of velcro on each side (used a staple gun to help hold the velcro onto the shoe rack side). I find cleaning with alcohol before mounting, and giving the glue on any of these mounting techniques a chance to cure, goes a long way. Being able to remove is a nice "feature".
Old 09-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
The velcro is holding surprisingly well. Looks like a much better solution than foam tape.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #18

What did you use to stain the wood? It looks like it matches the cabinet color really well....
2016Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016Pup View Post
What did you use to stain the wood? It looks like it matches the cabinet color really well....
It's just some stain I had in the garage. I will get the color for you. If I put another coat, it may be a better match. Currently the stain is a bit on the lighter side compared to the factory color. Ive used it on a few other additions to the Wolf Pup and multiple coats gets the color closer.

I think painting it Black might give things like this some nice contrast. Like the previous post with the store bought shoe rack.

Tags
storage, wolf pup