Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #41

So far, from doing some web surfing and talking on the phone, it looks like the new 5200# from Lippert or the 5000# from Dexter would take replacing everything, from the hubs inward.
WildPlumYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #42

We had a GREAT summer camping in our Wolf-Pup...Probably put 2000 Mi. on it - The 5200# axel hubs brakes and 15" wheels Radial tires are wearing great with no abnormal "inside" wear....Thank You Forest River for making our camper SO much better at a very mreasonable "Upgrade" cost...

We put a 4" memory foam mattress in and since we are both under 5' 7" we fit in the bed comfortably...

We have had NO other warranty issues and I am VERY watchful...We love it.....
sagegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #43
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Your model is likely not the only model with underated axle. My newly purchased 2013 VIBE 6504 was only equipped with a 3500 lb GAWR.
The dry weight of the trailer was 3400 lbs. Tires & rims (14 inch) were only rated at 1800 lbs each.

I was not going to weight for a "tragic" incident. I just got my unit back from a local trailer manufacturer. Replace the Lippert axle with a Dexter 6000 lb unit and upgraded the tires/rims to 15 inch 2500 lb rating.
Cost a bit of money, however I now have piece of mind.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPlumYonder View Post
Due to these problems, we've cancelled the big fall trip that we love to do, so now we've got all winter to get this "straightened" out. We definitely aren't going to put the same thing back in, nor are we going to put the same thing with just a higher rated axle in, since that isn't what appears to have bent.

We're looking at other options at the moment, including switching to a 5000# "torsion-flex" axle (and assorted bits) from Dexter. Nothing else is going to mount in quite the same place so it'll involve work on the frame.

And we just got our old late 70s solar panels set up to use as a battery charger, and put in a second battery so we could dry camp this fall....
Just so you know... Dexter and Lippert's torsion axles are exactly the same. Neither will admit that and cite various reasons but those reasons either don't matter or are just totally false. They're the same. So changing brands will do nothing for you.
IndianaEng22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #45

Got the replacement "hybrid" axle from Lippert (shipped UPS, which had the delivery guy shaking his head at the size and the weight label that claimed it weighed 47 lbs). Took about 3 hours to R&R, doing a bunch of measuring and thinking before doing - the actual process was pretty quick. No modifications to anything - unbolt old, bolt in new.

With the hybrid axle and the 15" wheels, the trailer sits a good 2"+ higher than before, which is a Good Thing, although it will mean completely resetting the hitches and antisway.

Some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	axles.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	20022
The two axles

NV: 231694 (old)
NV: 257699 (hybrid) 5200# beam with 3500 # stubs.

These are both supposed to be 22deg unloaded start angles - look at these pics (yes, taken from slightly different angles and rotated). The old part (and this is NOT the bent end) is clearly different. Check the space between the stub and the mounting hole.

Name:	axle1.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	20024
The stock

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	20023
The hybrid

Thanks to Lippert who sent the hybrid and attachment kit directly to us, with relatively little fuss. No thanks to Forest River, who ran us in circles for a bit.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #46

Wow, i am glad i am not the only one. We bought our wolf pup from access rv in salt lake who did NOTHING to help with the axle issue. We had another dealer talk to forest river and they did replace the axle and sent new tires.

one road trip of about 800 miles and the axle is bad again! NOT overloaded either. I have pics that look EXACTLY like the ones from wildplumyonder. Not happy with Forest River on this one.

Just bought it in late April this year and it has been in the shop for half of that time. Not good.

When upgrading the axle would anyone recommend going to a leaf spring instead of the torsen beam with a 5000-6000# rating? If i have to pay to fix the problem Forest River left us to deal with I only want to fix it once. I know some of you know where I am coming from!

Any extra clearance would be helpful too as we want to camp in Moab and off road areas when possible and as it sits now it would be tough.

Thanks guys
mttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #47

Put the "hybrid" axle on, went on one camping trip of about 700 miles roundtrip. Came home, looked at the axle and it is bent AGAIN. Done with this, looking to completely replace with something else.

REALLY annoyed at both Forest River and Lippert. If I thought it wouldn't cost me more in time, money and aggravation than just jacking the whole thing up and putting an entirely new unit, from the wheels on in, I'd be looking into legal recourse for a known insufficient design. I'm sure both Forest River and Lippert count on that attitude.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #48

I wish I had seen some of these posts before purchasing our wolf pup last year. We do love it except that while camping in May this year we noticed the tire/axle problem. We seem to have gotten more miles before the problem became noticeable than others here. At the time we noticed we'd put about 3000+ miles on it. Those of you who have gone through this, what is your best recommendation for fixing the problem. Please share your insights. Thanks so much!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwhitehead View Post
I wish I had seen some of these posts before purchasing our wolf pup last year. We do love it except that while camping in May this year we noticed the tire/axle problem. We seem to have gotten more miles before the problem became noticeable than others here. At the time we noticed we'd put about 3000+ miles on it. Those of you who have gone through this, what is your best recommendation for fixing the problem. Please share your insights. Thanks so much!
Take it to an alignment shop, see if the axle is bent. At minimum, you want 15" tires instead of the 14" tires, which are being overloaded. If you bought it new last year, you may already have the "upgrade" hybrid axle. If the it IS the hybrid and the axle is bent, it needs an entirely new axle, rated for the use.

Tags
axle, bent