Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #11

The positive and negative are reversed on my trailer. I am gonna look at fixing this.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear View Post
Are you using the Zamp plug or alligator clips?
I ran into a similar problem with my 2016 Nitro XLR that was Zamp Solar Ready. I already owned a Renology Solar unit with alligator clips so I ordered a Zamp plug adapter that was compatible with my Renology wiring, connecting with an Anderson plug.
My solar panels would charge my batteries when I used the alligator clips but the Zamp plug didn't work. The Zamp plug adapter was improperly wired with the poles reversed at the factory. Zamp customer service was great, walked me through fixing the improperly wired plug and sent me a new one.
On your RV the bare metal prong should be your positive lead.
Where it was improperly connected. Was it at the junction box on the frame or at the plug on the side of the camper?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #13

Chevyman, the trailer was wired properly, the Zamp plug adapter from the solar panel was wired reverse poled.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #14

Oh ok. I have a solar panel and regulator made by Battery Doctor. One of them is wired improperly. I checked the voltage from the zamp connector on the trailer. Then I checked the amps with the same polarity as it would connect to the trailer and I got negative amps. Then I flipped it and the amps are positive. As of now I use alligator clips on the batteries and that works.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Chevyman I have a really simple novice question. When the alligator clips are on the battery doing their intended purpose of battery charging, is the trailer in use with stuff running etc? or do you have to disconnect the battery either manual or with a battery disconnect switch?
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Chevyman I have a really simple novice question. When the alligator clips are on the battery doing their intended purpose of battery charging, is the trailer in use with stuff running etc? or do you have to disconnect the battery either manual or with a battery disconnect switch?
The trailer is in use.
Also sometimes I leave my trailer at my friends cabin. They do not have electricity there. If I leave it there I disconnect the batteries from the trailer and the solar panel helps keep them charged for my next use.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #17

I switched the positive and negative on the junction box on the frame. Its the same as my panel so i assume its working now.

Tags
grey wolf, solar