Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

zamp solar on 2016 grey wolf

I have a 2014 Cherokee Grey Wolf that is solar ready with Zamp Solar wiring. I have a Battery Doctor solar panel that I used on my last travel trailer. I tried using my Battery Doctor solar panel on the Grey Wolf. Before connect to the trailer the charge light is lit up on my power regulator. When I connect the light goes out and it doesnt charge. I also tried just the solar panel. I used a multimeter and the is no current at my battery cable ends. I went underneath the trailer and those connections are tight. Maybe they are wired wrong? On the trailer the is a sticker that says Zamp Solar panels only. I find it hard to believe that. Does Zamp reverse the positive and negative wires? I have nothing against Zamp and will purchase a Zamp solar panel if needed. I just thought maybe I could use my current solar panel. Any info would be great.

James
chevyman54173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

Hopefully someone has a better answer, but I looked into it a little when I bought my 14' 304 BH. Also Zamp ready. I think the connection is proprietary to Zamp and won't work with others and the Zamp stuff was so expensive I figured it would be cheaper just to buy a dozen deep cycle batteries, Kidding. But it probably would. I don't dry camp so not a necessity to me. I thought it was a cool feature when I bought but after seeing Zamp prices I say it's basically useless.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

I have two 6volt batteries wired in a series. I also changed light bulbs to LED. I do dry camp about 5 or 6 times a year. Im not trying to run a tv. Im just trying to minimize my generator use. I just want to keep my batteries charged.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Just looked at it again. Zamp 80 watt panel is about 500$.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

I was looking at the zamp 40watt panel. I think I saw that one for little more than $300.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

When I bought my Flagstaff it too came solar ready but it was pointed out to me that you had to connect the wires to the battery as that was not done
buffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
RiderBloke

Zamp plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose killer View Post
Hopefully someone has a better answer, but I looked into it a little when I bought my 14' 304 BH. Also Zamp ready. I think the connection is proprietary to Zamp and won't work with others and the Zamp stuff was so expensive I figured it would be cheaper just to buy a dozen deep cycle batteries, Kidding. But it probably would. I don't dry camp so not a necessity to me. I thought it was a cool feature when I bought but after seeing Zamp prices I say it's basically useless.
My investigations on my 26RR show that the Zamp plug is the same as the ones on my motorcycle battery charger and these are available from allelectronics.com. I checked the voltage at the Zamp plug with a multimeter and it was battery voltage. You may need to check the polarity carefully but that should be no problem to sort out.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

Had the same issue with a non-Zamp panel. The polarity is reversed. Switched the connections on the charge controller going to the Zamp port on the sidewall. All good.
3 kids and a big yellow lab and piti/lab cross
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #9

If you lookup SAE solar plug you will find lots of places that sell them. $500 for a 80 watt panel is very expensive. Even in the great white north I can get a 100W panel, MPPT controller and 30 feet of wire for $240.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

Are you using the Zamp plug or alligator clips?
I ran into a similar problem with my 2016 Nitro XLR that was Zamp Solar Ready. I already owned a Renology Solar unit with alligator clips so I ordered a Zamp plug adapter that was compatible with my Renology wiring, connecting with an Anderson plug.
My solar panels would charge my batteries when I used the alligator clips but the Zamp plug didn't work. The Zamp plug adapter was improperly wired with the poles reversed at the factory. Zamp customer service was great, walked me through fixing the improperly wired plug and sent me a new one.
On your RV the bare metal prong should be your positive lead.
pappybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

The positive and negative are reversed on my trailer. I am gonna look at fixing this.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear View Post
Are you using the Zamp plug or alligator clips?
I ran into a similar problem with my 2016 Nitro XLR that was Zamp Solar Ready. I already owned a Renology Solar unit with alligator clips so I ordered a Zamp plug adapter that was compatible with my Renology wiring, connecting with an Anderson plug.
My solar panels would charge my batteries when I used the alligator clips but the Zamp plug didn't work. The Zamp plug adapter was improperly wired with the poles reversed at the factory. Zamp customer service was great, walked me through fixing the improperly wired plug and sent me a new one.
On your RV the bare metal prong should be your positive lead.
Where it was improperly connected. Was it at the junction box on the frame or at the plug on the side of the camper?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Chevyman, the trailer was wired properly, the Zamp plug adapter from the solar panel was wired reverse poled.
pappybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #14

Oh ok. I have a solar panel and regulator made by Battery Doctor. One of them is wired improperly. I checked the voltage from the zamp connector on the trailer. Then I checked the amps with the same polarity as it would connect to the trailer and I got negative amps. Then I flipped it and the amps are positive. As of now I use alligator clips on the batteries and that works.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Chevyman I have a really simple novice question. When the alligator clips are on the battery doing their intended purpose of battery charging, is the trailer in use with stuff running etc? or do you have to disconnect the battery either manual or with a battery disconnect switch?
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Chevyman I have a really simple novice question. When the alligator clips are on the battery doing their intended purpose of battery charging, is the trailer in use with stuff running etc? or do you have to disconnect the battery either manual or with a battery disconnect switch?
The trailer is in use.
Also sometimes I leave my trailer at my friends cabin. They do not have electricity there. If I leave it there I disconnect the batteries from the trailer and the solar panel helps keep them charged for my next use.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #17

I switched the positive and negative on the junction box on the frame. Its the same as my panel so i assume its working now.

Tags
grey wolf, solar