Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"The vehicle ignition fueling input is for the Dometic fridge (prevent dsi for a specified time) and is still currently used."

Good to know , I would hate to be the ignition source for a gas station explosion.

Living with a propane fridge for a couple of decades I know they use tiny fuel ,
but thought driving long days FR might have engineered a savings.

I am probably the least tech savvy person on this forum, so excuse me for asking a question that may have already been asked. I have a Dometic fridge in my Isata 3. I always try to remember to turn off the fridge when we stop to fuel, but have forgotten on a few occasions. When I realize this, I say a little prayer and hope that I don't forget again. I have been thinking of putting a label near the diesel fill area reminding me to turn off the fridge. Do I need to shut the fridge off or is there a safety measure in place for forgetful dudes like me?
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #22

RolandRevenger Well it seems that the fridge is connected to the ignition, but...as long as you stick with diesel fill up areas I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Combination islands or pumps might be a concern, however.

Personally I would confirm it. Wait for your reefer to start the flame and then turn on the ignition and see if it goes off. However, had a 1997 Bounder with a propane reefer and never gave it a thought. There is also a hot water heater and this time of year, a furnace. Doubt that they are interlocked as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #23

If it were to shut off with the ignition then it wouldn't work when camping without ac power. The reason for having a propane fridge is to have a refrigerator when camping.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #24

I was wondering if the fuel door/cap, when open, triggered a temporary shut-down of the fridge. Mine is in storage till May and not accessible till then or I would test it out.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #25

"If it were to shut off with the ignition then it wouldn't work when camping without ac power. The reason for having a propane fridge is to have a refrigerator when camping."

The system has a timer , shuts down for 15-20 min to allow fueling at a gas station , with no explosion danger.

The propane reefer works normally when camping.

I thought running on the inverter would be a great idea as there would be no shut down no flame blowouts and no propane use underway.

I do understand the danger of dead batts should someone attempt to camp with the inverter , so FR is right not allowing this option.

Propane use is not so expensive that I would rewire the coach to save a bit on every long trip.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote