Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

12v Relays not activating

I am having a 12v issue related to the relays. Two will not engage and the 3rd will not disengage when using the "store/use" toggle switch in the coach. When I toggle the switch, number 3 activates, shutters and attempts to open, but does not. The attached picture shows the 3 relays; reading left to right, number 1 is first and number 3 is last. When I manually depress the contact plates of number 1 and 2, I get 12v power in the coach. For the purpose of process of elimination, I also picked up a replacement "store/use" toggle switch, but no difference. What would cause the solenoids not to activate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relays.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	204617  
Danandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Commercial Member

brand, model, year?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

2015 Dynamax DX3 TSR

Sorry, I thought that would have come up as part of my profile. 2015 Dynamax DX3 TSR
Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

This is my first day on the forum, so still learning proper posting process.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Commercial Member

No worries.....just figured we would get that out there. You can put that in your signature and then its with every post.

I'll have to look into this on...a '15 is before I came over.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danandtina View Post
Sorry, I thought that would have come up as part of my profile. 2015 Dynamax DX3 TSR
Click on UserCP, Edit Signature and enter your rig info. It will post on all messages.

Welcome to the forum.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danandtina View Post
I am having a 12v issue related to the relays. Two will not engage and the 3rd will not disengage when using the "store/use" toggle switch in the coach. When I toggle the switch, number 3 activates, shutters and attempts to open, but does not. The attached picture shows the 3 relays; reading left to right, number 1 is first and number 3 is last. When I manually depress the contact plates of number 1 and 2, I get 12v power in the coach. For the purpose of process of elimination, I also picked up a replacement "store/use" toggle switch, but no difference. What would cause the solenoids not to activate?
Where are these located?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #8

Sounds like a faulty ground to me. The ground is probably on the frame and is either loose or corrode with road grime.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #9

The relays are located in the electric bay, one behind the battery bay on drivers side. I did learn something tonight that might help in diagnosis. There are two "use/store" switches on the panel at the entry door. One is for coach and the other for chassis. The chassis switch activates relay 1, and works fine. I was able to get 12v to the coach by manually making contact with relay 2. Here is what is odd, when you toggle the "use/store" for coach, relay 3 activates, but stays connected; you can see it and hear it, but again it stays connected, yet relay 2 never activates or moves, yet it is the one that gives the coach 12v power. So at this point I do not think it is a switch issue, but rather an issue with relay/solenoid 2. I have no idea what relay 3 does since it will not retract breaking contact.
Another thing to know is that the rig came with a 110v residential refrigerator now replaced with a Norcold AC/LPG. One person I spoke to thought relay 3 may have been for the old refrigerator. That does not make total sense as the fridge is AC/LPG.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

Is that green light illuminated on the isolator? Could be the relay itself, or the isolator. Don't think the refrigerator would have anything to do with it .Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_180912.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	204692
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

When your plugged in or on generator everything should work. If not on generator or shore power this isolator will automatically isolate batteries to save power.. when it does one of the red LED lights for chassis batteries at the entry door will go out. Even with switch on. You can turn off the switch and back on and it reconnects. Hope this makes sense..
Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #12

When diagnosing problems with relays that don't function locate the activating wire(s) and see if there is power there when the relay is supposed to be activated. It's a matter of following the power from where it starts (selector switch) to where it should be (relay coil). If power arrives at relay but still no joy, check to make sure there is a return path to the battery or commonly referred to as the Ground. There can be a fault (corrosion, bad connection, etc) at either end, the relay or the battery.

If there is a good ground and power to the relay, yet still no function, then, and only then, should the relay be replaced.

Another way to check relays is to remove the control wire(s) and use a known source of 12v power to see if you can activate. A long wire from a live 12 volt terminal and a short wire clamped to a known grounding surface will allow you to check in place (make sure the control wires are removed from their terminals).

Lots of things can happen to wires. Get pinched, snagged and cut, corroded connections, etc.

FWIW, I hate mechanical relays that are activated for long periods of time (continuous duty) as they can often get hot and fail. Would prefer solid state devices for things like isolators, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #13

Just wondering if you've found the problem yet..
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #14

You are correct that everything does work when on generator or shore power. I must admit I am confused on the second part. But it sounds like you are suggesting I run the generator (which will not start because of the open relay) or hook up to shore power and then toggle the switch? The chassis relay and switch are working fine, its the coach relay that is not activating.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #15

I have not had a chance to go back to it over the last couple of days, but I too thought about seeing if would activate with a remote power source. This was my next move. I will let you know the results. As far as battery or ground connections, all are clean and good.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #16

Hello, were you able to find any further information on my challenge? Would you be able to supply the wiring schematic for the relay area?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #17

Bclemons ^^^^
Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
Commercial Member

First off, what problem are we trying g to solve? I’m not saying the relays are or aren’t working as described, but what problem is the coach exhibiting that brought you to the relays?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #19

They way I understand it is hes not getting 12v into the coach and has it isolated to this relay located in the automatic battery isolator unit
Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #20

My end issue is no 12v power to the coach. Since the relay does not close and make contact, all 12v power is stopped at that point.