Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

2008'ish Dynamax Dynaquest

Hope everyone is having a great week!

We are first time RVers and looking to purchase. I've done hours on hours of research and test drove a few coaches as well. Everything from A's to B's to C's! All have plus and minuses thats for sure. We are a family of 5(kids are 8, 6 and 3 ATM). Would love to get into something that Mom can drive and under 30ft if we can.

Then while looking around on a RVTrader I see a picture of what looks to be a 2020 top of the line gorgeous class C! Well I look closer and notice its a 2008 Dynaquest 27 footer! WOW what a great looking rig and over 10 years old!

The overall look just screams class and confidence!

Then after researching some more I noticed that a person just can't get one of these under 30ft anymore as it seems Dynamax has focused on the ISATA's for the 30ft and shorter rigs.

Just something about the Dynaquests that I can't get out of my mind and even though we were looking at either purchasing new or just a couple years "seasoned" I'm now considering tracking down a nice 30ft or under Dynaquest.

Yes I am now getting to the questions haha.

1) Dynamax have any thoughts/rumors on bringing back a shorter Dynaquest type Rig anytime soon?

2) Reliability of those 2008'ish Dynaquests out there?

3) Would you suggest to a family like ours to purchase a 10 year old rig like this for our first RV or am I asking for trouble?

4) High miles....Most the used 30ft and under Dynaquests I'm seeing have higher miles. Would you worry about the engine and other parts of these rigs at higher miles?

Anything else you could add would be great and Thanks again for taking the time to read this!

Happy RV'n!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1. We have not. The reason that vehicle went away is that the shorter wheelbase went away on the M2. We have had several requests, but we would have to request a special chassis from Freightliner and that takes time.

2. These are really semi chassis designed to run 100's of thousands of miles.

3. Already broken in...what's not to love. I just bought a used vehicle. I was looking new, but I love being able to do what I want to something and I don't feel bad cutting into and jacking around with a used vehicle.

4. See #2. Also, for peace of mind you can get a vehicle inspection.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. We have not. The reason that vehicle went away is that the shorter wheelbase went away on the M2. We have had several requests, but we would have to request a special chassis from Freightliner and that takes time.

3. Already broken in...what's not to love. I just bought a used vehicle. I was looking new, but I love being able to do what I want to something and I don't feel bad cutting into and jacking around with a used vehicle.

Thank you for the response! I have not test drove one but how would you compare the older 2008'ish 30 and under Dynaquest to the C's(Sprinter and Ford E-350/450) chassis when it comes to handling and overall drivability? Thanks again
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #4

2006 Dynaquest

We have 32 ft 2006 Dynaquest which had 35000 miles on it, we have put 7000 on it since last June & love the unit. High quality build, no problems, we did do some upgrades, but most were by choice. Good luck, don't think you will be disappointed with a Dynamax.
Aggie1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #5

Care to share the upgrades you did? Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 AM   #6

Upgrades

Roadmaster sway bars, front & rear, steering stabilizer, LED headlights, Flojet macerator, MORryde Easy Reel Spooler, Xantrex digital echo-charger, Bilstein front shocks, Centramatic Balancers, AGM batteries. LED lights, replaced outlets with outlets with USB sockets, Progressive Industries surge protector, Build5 center console, ScanGauge D, Minimizer Floor Mats, Kenwood DNX57TR Radio/GPS
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie1951 View Post
Roadmaster sway bars, front & rear, steering stabilizer, LED headlights, Flojet macerator, MORryde Easy Reel Spooler, Xantrex digital echo-charger, Bilstein front shocks, Centramatic Balancers, AGM batteries. LED lights, replaced outlets with outlets with USB sockets, Progressive Industries surge protector, Build5 center console, ScanGauge D, Minimizer Floor Mats, Kenwood DNX57TR Radio/GPS

Did you feel the ride was bad enough it needed all the upgrades in steering and suspension? Or maybe just over 10 year old steering/suspension that had worn out?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

We owned a 2006 Dynaquest 320 for a couple years and really enjoyed the coach. We recently sold it, to purchase one with more sleeping capacity. We looked at several of the "vintage" Dynaquests before purchasing and they seem to hold up well to age. The problems with most of the older ones was primarily cosmetic. If you do decide to purchase an older coach, be prepared to fix some things. I happen to fix things for a living so I was not afraid. During the fix up process I often thought that if someone who had to rely on others for repairs, might get frustrated with all of the "little things" that pop up needing repairs.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

Upgrades

The shocks were weak, & I felt like the sway bars were needed but the front end didn’t show any wear just felt the upgrades were needed. The shocks were the only thing that I have felt like were maybe subpar on the unit, don’t know if they were a Dynamax or Freightliner spec item.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:

What about the possibility of building a 300XL again? Is that chassis/wheelbase available?
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Freightliner changed the exhaust style from "box" to "horizontal-Horizontal" and thus eliminated the shorter wheel bases. Any time we look at how to get back to that, there is another trade off. Lose a 50 gallon fuel tank, lose a door location. I will be trying to see if we can get a 30' coach to work shortly, but we've got a couple of things ahead of it.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #12

Can Solar be added to these older rigs without much modifications?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Depends on your definition of "much". Its really just running solar panels, to a controller, to a battery bank.

1. You can use flex panels that just glue to the roof.
2. there is an electrical tower that goes floor to roof (as long as you are careful not to hit the existing wires that are there)
3. the batteries are exposed for electrical hook up.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #14

Quote:
...but we've got a couple of things ahead of it.
I'm trying real hard not to read Cascadia into this, but I keep coming back to the post...
Old 04-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Lol, well don’t worry too hard, that one is a long way off. They haven’t upgraded the front axle rating for us to build it, and I don’t want to tool for the “chassic version” just so they can pull the plug and make the new Cascadia work. Even if they rated the axle properly tomorrow, I’m a year out.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Lol, well don’t worry too hard, that one is a long way off. They haven’t upgraded the front axle rating for us to build it, and I don’t want to tool for the “chassic version” just so they can pull the plug and make the new Cascadia work. Even if they rated the axle properly tomorrow, I’m a year out.
Is an 18,000lb front axle the target? Just guessing since that's what they use on the Cascadia based ShowHaulers...
Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
Commercial Member

I don't know the exact number....but why would I want to create any fiberglass parts for the old chassis....when they make THIS beautiful machine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 2.02.03 P.png
Views:	66
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	202429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 2.01.51 P.png
Views:	80
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	202430  

Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #18

Quote:
I don't know the exact number....but why would I want to create any fiberglass parts for the old chassis....when they make THIS beautiful machine!
Oh, I'm with you...100%! I was just curious what the magic combination was to get THIS beautiful machine on the line in your factory.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
Commercial Member

I still turn my head when one of those go by. I see it out of the corner of my eye and I'm like "wow, what is that?" and its a Cascadia every time. I think it is the best looking chassis on the road today. Including all commercial trucks, sprinter and even the retail truck market.

Maybe in 2 years

Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #20

I found a '07 DYNAQUEST 302 ST 30fter about 25hrs away from me errrr that I really like! I'd like to test drive one before I fly out and look it over in person but I can't find any for sale here in Arizona.

I did find a '07 DYNAQUEST 340 but if I go test drive it will it even come close to comparing to the shorter 302? Anyone have experience driver both? Thanks

Not sure it matters but the 302 has the MB 900 engine while the 340 has the Cat C7.

Thanks