Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

2015 Dynamax DX3 37BHHD Slide frame crack???

I went out today to exercise the generator and charge the batteries. I fired everything up, put the slides out, did my walk around and immediately noticed a large crack in the main body fiberglass at the front lower corner of the passenger side bunk and master bedroom slide. What in the Effen F. I did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago and it was not there. It has been on the jack stands and not moved. So this has occurred over the last 3 weeks. I am positive that it wasn't there. I pay real close attention to the slide seals, especially the cable slide rubber pass throughs that are glued to the main seal because I had to re-glue them last fall as they were not sticking anymore and would travel with the cables and allow water to flow into the slide.

Anyone else had this issue, have any recommendations on what to do to fix it and prevent it from getting any bigger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 6.27.52 PM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	145484  
Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Can only express how to stop it.
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, that will stop it from spreading,
Can't speak to any of your other questions.
Only need to drill deep enough to get through the fiberglass.
Do it all the time on planes "stop drilling" it is called on the windscreens and side windows to stop a crack.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

I had cracking on my overcab cap
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

Yep. Had it on mine and fixed at the factory.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

I have a few small cracks in different areas. I chalk some of them up to road conditions and shifting when driving.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Can only express how to stop it.
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, that will stop it from spreading,
Can't speak to any of your other questions.
Only need to drill deep enough to get through the fiberglass.
Do it all the time on planes "stop drilling" it is called on the windscreens and side windows to stop a crack.
Thank for the advise. Can you advise on what size/diameter drill bit to use? Also, on the end leg of each spider crack, or just the main one. And what do you recommend filling the holes with? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Yep. Had it on mine and fixed at the factory.
What did the factory do to fix yours specifically, and was it still under warranty? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Out of warrenty. Were at the Rally and brought to their attention. Use the smallest drill bit you have at the end of each crack. Just enough to go through the jell coat. You can buy he'll coat at a boating store, follow the instructions, and you can patch your self. Or go the the rally and see if they will. I had two small stress cracks like yours and one bigger from a brace not welded correctly. That required about a weeks work to fix. They called the work done as a courtesy repair, not warranty. Hope this helps. If you know someone into Corvettes, they can tell you hard/easy.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Sometimes you'll get a superficial crack where maybe the slide seal screw goes in or at the corner of a slide like that under the right circumstance it just decides to give. Normally appears quickly though, not after a long period of time like this. All suggestions seem spot on. I would also seal that spot just to be safe and prevent any water infiltration. Use latex though, not silicone.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, frame, slide