Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

2016 Isata 3 awning replacement

I got caught in a storm down here in Florida and the Carefree Latitude awning ripped off my Isata 3.... I'm so upset I didn't retract the awning before we went to bed, we had a campfire and it was a beautiful, clear, calm night, the storm came up so quickly around 3am the first thing we heard was the awning banging on the outside...
I was able to remove the awning and brackets, put them all inside the rv (thanks to the emergency window in the rear). We'd really like to get a new one installed, I called my insurance agent and it's covered - but the RV dealers down here are so booked up! We are staying in Sarasota at Turtle Beach campground - any ideas on how we can go about getting the awning replaced would be appreciated!
Also, I hear there is an "wind sensor" option that automatically retracts the awning - does this work well?

Pat Geraghty
pgeraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Since this is insurance and not warranty, your best bet would be to order a new awning from Carefree in Colorado and have it shipped to where you are staying. Then hire a mobile RV repair to come to your site and replace the awning. As long as the mounting brackets didn’t “rip out” of the sidewalks, it should be a straight forward repair.

In your black manuals bag, you have a sheet from Dynamax that has the model number of all the installed components. You can find the main awning model number and maybe verify that against any markings on the awning.

The awning is the Dual Latitude model which is an OEM product, but hopefully since you already own it, they will sell you a replacement. If you just have parts that are needed to be replaced, you can get parts as they have shipped a couple to me for my Isata 3.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/latitude/
milkman55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Carefree has a Bluetooth module for some of the awnings that adds a wind sensor. I ordered one but have not installed it yet on our Force awning.
Sorry to hear about the damage, hope you are able to get it fixed soon.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!

I contacted Carefree and they turned me on to ad mobile RV awning company in the Tampa area - it's working out so the mobile RV company will deliver and install the new awning at my campsite at Fort Desoto!

I still am not clear on the wind sensor setup for the awning - Carefree told me all Latitude awnings came with the wind sensor standard, they said there is a control box with 7 wires - I took the cov er off the drives side and there is a control box with 7 wires - but it doesn't appear to have been wired/activated on my Isata 3. Is it as simple as purchasing one of Carefrees remote controls to activate it?

Pat
Old 01-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

My understanding is the wind sensor is already activated. There was another thread discussing this issue and they were able to give their awning a couple of good pulls on the end and their retract activated.

I would have the mobile tech check all that out when he replaces the awning.
milkman55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
My understanding is the wind sensor is already activated. There was another thread discussing this issue and they were able to give their awning a couple of good pulls on the end and their retract activated.

I would have the mobile tech check all that out when he replaces the awning.
On my Isata 3 the wind sensor is not that great. I have banged it up and down about a foot and it sometimes will retract and sometimes not. I never trust it and close the awning unless I am right there. I also have left mine open when sleeping and may rethink that.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

Nothing like being outside in a cold blowing rain, in your underwear at 3:00 am trying to put in a manual awning. Now it goes in when I go in.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Nothing like being outside in a cold blowing rain, in your underwear at 3:00 am trying to put in a manual awning. Now it goes in when I go in.
Better hope you didn't end up as a YouTube video! You never know these days...
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Blue tooth remote for the awning

Yes, I was outside in the rain and wind at 3am.... had my headlight/strap with me so could at least see the damage!

I want to get the blue tooth remote key fob with the new Latitude awning (BT12) - anyone had any experience with it?

Pat

Tags
awning, replacement