Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

2016 Isata 3 Slide Out Roller Fail

Anyone have knowledge if these rollers are screwed into a metal frame or do they go into something like wood or plastic. The screws just pulled right out and upon first inspection, the type of screws being used would not grip well in anything other than metal. I am also having the same issue with these type of screws holding the awning on the side. The drill tip screws they used are just coming loose and cannot be tightened up because they are stripped out. Any help with what they screw into would be appreciated. My first thoughts are to try to fill the holes in with epoxy and replace with the proper type of lag screws to provide a better grip.

BTW, The slide is operating much better now that this roller has been removed. Actually while taking this out, I noticed that some of the rollers have no weight on them at all. I don't know if I could get this one back in without having to remove the entire slideout from the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Roller Fail.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	136284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Roller Fail 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	136285  
flycer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

"Any help with what they screw into would be appreciated."

Heli-Coil Screw Thread Inserts | Stanley Engineered Fastening

Some models are better at restoring thin wall screw holes.

They install like pull rivets and have some meat behind the repaired hole.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #3

Upside down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycer61 View Post
Anyone have knowledge if these rollers are screwed into a metal frame or do they go into something like wood or plastic. The screws just pulled right out and upon first inspection, the type of screws being used would not grip well in anything other than metal. I am also having the same issue with these type of screws holding the awning on the side. The drill tip screws they used are just coming loose and cannot be tightened up because they are stripped out. Any help with what they screw into would be appreciated. My first thoughts are to try to fill the holes in with epoxy and replace with the proper type of lag screws to provide a better grip.

BTW, The slide is operating much better now that this roller has been removed. Actually while taking this out, I noticed that some of the rollers have no weight on them at all. I don't know if I could get this one back in without having to remove the entire slideout from the vehicle.
From the picture, it appears that the metal bracket is in contact with the slideout and not the (what I assume is) UHMW roller. I thought the roller should be against the slide. Not an expert, but the picture looks like a faulty installation.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
From the picture, it appears that the metal bracket is in contact with the slideout and not the (what I assume is) UHMW roller. I thought the roller should be against the slide. Not an expert, but the picture looks like a faulty installation.
Yes the 1st Pic shows the bracket turned Backwards! They Only put a Radii on 1 side then put it on Wrong! The sharp corners are cutting into the Bottom of slide! Youroo!!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Clarification: What you are seeing is the roller cocking over after the screws have pulled loose and the slide is being extended. Take a look at the other rollers further down to see the correct orientation. The floor is catching on the high part of the metal bracket. Oddly enough, when the slide is retracted, it stands back up and the bottom of the slide again comes back in contact with the roller and retracts ok. I have, at this time completely removed the roller to prevent further damage.

As for putting it back on, there is virtually no room to get into the space to drill new holes or much of anything like installing inserts into the prior holes without removing the slide from the vehicle.

What I would really like to know is if there is any metal framing that these drill tip screws are supposed to be drilled into or do they just drive them into the plastic/fiberglass/wood. If there is no metal framing there, they are using the wrong type of screws and I can see why they pulled out. I am having the same problem with some of the awning screws and don't want to have a problem with it falling off while driving down the road.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Depending on the framing answer , you might just install the roller a few inches from its present position.

And figure out WHY it seems that one roller is taking most of the load?

It sure does look as if it was installed upside down.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Flycer61, you are correct. Orientation is right. What has happened is when the slide goes out, the rubber got caught on the guard that prevents the rubber from getting caught on the roller. The rubber climbs up the guard and as the slide kept moving out, it rips the roller out. Those screws go into a wood stuffed aluminum tube. We use a new roller now and the guard angles back at the top, 45 degrees to keep the rubber pushed back even further. Normally what we do is jack up the slide...there is a little room to move it up and use a 90 degree driver to put the new style roller in. Either that or trim the rubber down a bit where the guard is, Doesn't take much.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Commercial Member

My recommendation is to take it to a dealer, or if you're close by, our factory. At the very least, get the new style roller from us. If you PM me your VIN and contact info, I'll see what I can do to help with either of the 3.

Also, keep an eye on the other rollers. If you start to see black on the underside of the slide, it means rubber is getting caught on other rollers.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

bclemons - Thank you so much for the help with this. And on a Sunday afternoon at that! Says a lot about your concern with the product. I will PM you the vitals.

Thanks!

Tags
slide, slide out