Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

2017 Dynamax Rev 24RB House Battery Charging

How do I know if my House Batteries are charging while driving? The reason I ask:

Prior to taking a trip this past weekend I connected to shore power for some hours and disconnected later. After disconnect I checked my Battery level using the button on the wall. All the leds were on.

Next, I turned on my refrigerator to automatic and drove 9 hours to Florida. Upon arrival I was down one LED light on the battery check.

I connected to shore power and camped over night. The next day my check showed all leds.

I drove home 9 hours with the refrigerator in automatic mode. At home I saw I was again down one led.

I charged some hours on shore power and was back up to full led bars.

So why didn't the alternator keep my house batteries at full led during 9 hour drive?

Note: I had read in one of these forums that if a 50 amp fuse is blown the alternator will not charge the house battery. I looked in the fuse box near the drivers side and saw no 50 amp fuse used or anything close to it. I looked in the fuse box near the RV door and also found no fuse near that rating. So I suppose the post was not related to the Dynamax REV.

Thanks,
Bryan

bts1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

Check by the alternator and see if there is a blade type resettable fuse link in the wires going to the coach. I found a house battery charging problem (like yours) on a FR Sunseeker was caused by this link being open. You may not have on on your rig but worth a look.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #3

I thought that having all lights lit up meant that the battery was charging and the second light indicated that the battery was good.

I only worry when it gets below the 'good' level. I do know that the battery won't charge if you have the house battery 'off'.

But I could be wrong.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Love my Rev

you are most certainly not charging while driving ! you need a cheap multimeter - put it on dc 20 and just check your battery posts with engine running and it should be over 14v . If not charging find where the 50 amp fuse is and see if blown ( you will ruin your battery if you don't keep it fully charged and understand all of this battery basics )
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I thought that having all lights lit up meant that the battery was charging and the second light indicated that the battery was good.

I only worry when it gets below the 'good' level. I do know that the battery won't charge if you have the house battery 'off'.

But I could be wrong.

I have read knowledgeable posts that contradicted each other. Over the course of my two years (today) with my REV I had concerns about the battery state of charge.

I have come to almost accept that three lights showing is fine. There are always 4 when plugged in or gen is running. I thought I saw 4 a few other times but maybe bad memory.

Bottom line is that I remind myself to not hassle over this since these batteries have never left me down when treated half properly. Only sketchy time was when left for service at dealer and battery switch was on. Even then there was enough juice to start the generator.

We should all have the Victron or similar battery monitor for peace of mind.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
Denver, CO

When you unplug from shore power does the 4th led go out? And oh by the way, the LED's are essentially useless get a Victron.

"We should all have the Victron or similar battery monitor for peace of mind."
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

Reb rb 24

You need to verify a few things. First off, the frig on my REV 24RB does not run on battery power. Maybe you have a 2018 and they may have given you a 3 way. Mine runs on propane and shore power and has the automatic mode. The alternator is a heavy duty unit that charges quite fast and sends a charge to both front and house batteries. Those led lights are never accurate. I installed a Victron BMV 702 and it works great and is very accurate. I did that when I upgraded to lithium, solar and added a Vitron 3000 watt multi plus charger/inverter. I now rarely use my generator anymore since the upgrades. Only if rainy for several days.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #8

Also note the REV uses 30 amps and there is no fuse at the controller for the generator. If your generator was down, your engine would likely not turn over. It's hard to monitor actual battery life with the stock set up and if you only have the one battery the coach co.ws with, you don't have much and then there's that typical constant drain from different sources.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpelaez View Post
You need to verify a few things. First off, the frig on my REV 24RB does not run on battery power. Maybe you have a 2018 and they may have given you a 3 way. Mine runs on propane and shore power and has the automatic mode. The alternator is a heavy duty unit that charges quite fast and sends a charge to both front and house batteries. Those led lights are never accurate. I installed a Victron BMV 702 and it works great and is very accurate. I did that when I upgraded to lithium, solar and added a Vitron 3000 watt multi plus charger/inverter. I now rarely use my generator anymore since the upgrades. Only if rainy for several days.
If you are able and willing can you post photos of your Victron setup?

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #10

Photos attached . If you can't see the file hEyre, send me your email and I'll fwd that way Bobby.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15296200111605158358024730922083.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	176776  

Tags
battery, charging