Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

2018 Isata 3 FW - Cat Scale Weight

Just returned from a 2000 mile return trip from N. Idaho to Chicagoland home base (everything worked perfectly). About half way across the country, I finally got enough courage to get my weight on a Cat Scale. Used the app which worked great. Background data:
- Full tank of fuel
- Full propane tank
- Empty Black, fresh and grey tanks
- Both my wife and I included (+ the dog....)
- Loaded as we normally travel (maybe 75-100 lbs of variable stuff)
- Options include auto levelers, cab over, 2 solar panels, Alcoa wheels, cocktail table

Weigh ticket showed the following and I added the Isata 3 specification:

Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR)
Front Axle: 4220 lbs actual vs. 4410 lbs spec (190 lbs to the good)
Rear Axle: 7200 lbs actual vs. 7720 lbs spec (520 lbs to the good)

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
11,420 actual vs. 11030 spec (390 lbs to the negative)

Given these data, assuming I am analyzing correctly, it looks like I am good on the axle ratings, but almost 400 lbs too heavy on the total weight. Note that I feel I am conservative on what I carry around, but looks like I need to re evaluate some things to try to get the weight down. I rarely ever carry fresh water when driving and always empty the grey tank. I do normally carry between a third and 2/3's in the black tank before dumping, which would add another 100 lbs or so typically.
All in all, I guess it could have been worse. However, I have some ideas on how to reduce some weight now that I know the actual weight before my next trip.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Not too shabby...while we know levelers are what adds the most weight that people can live with out, it is also one of the main things people don't want to live without.

Levelers and cab over bunk are the two options, combined, that add the most weight. One or the other is not bad...both tends to hurt the ccc.

We've been experimenting with composite floor, different sidewall glass. Most people use roll sheets of fiberglass, laminated to a substrate. We have tried that and the walls just don't look good. So the biggest area that makes us heavy, is also the area we don't want to skimp. We use gel coat walls...so glass sprayed into the substrate. SO much better result when looking at ours versus others. Filon (what most people use) just looks wavy and like you have orange peel...even before painting.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not too shabby...while we know levelers are what adds the most weight that people can live with out, it is also one of the main things people don't want to live without.

Levelers and cab over bunk are the two options, combined, that add the most weight. One or the other is not bad...both tends to hurt the ccc.

We've been experimenting with composite floor, different sidewall glass. Most people use roll sheets of fiberglass, laminated to a substrate. We have tried that and the walls just don't look good. So the biggest area that makes us heavy, is also the area we don't want to skimp. We use gel coat walls...so glass sprayed into the substrate. SO much better result when looking at ours versus others. Filon (what most people use) just looks wavy and like you have orange peel...even before painting.
One of my favorite topics. Thanks for sharing this useful 'real world' information. I have a 2019 FW, no cab over bunk, but with levelers and trifold sofa. I weighed in at 10,600 with the usual stuff plus 3/8 gas, 1/3 fresh water, empty gray and black tanks, 3/4 propane AND 2 mountain bikes.
How does your coach handle at 11,420?
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
One of my favorite topics. Thanks for sharing this useful 'real world' information. I have a 2019 FW, no cab over bunk, but with levelers and trifold sofa. I weighed in at 10,600 with the usual stuff plus 3/8 gas, 1/3 fresh water, empty gray and black tanks, 3/4 propane AND 2 mountain bikes.
How does your coach handle at 11,420?
Hi Barch. You and I discussed separately my set up with the Sumo Springs. With my current setup, the coach rides super smooth with very little motion side to side and reasonable suspension travel/action. I am very happy with the performance. On a "per axle" basis, all is good. The overweight is the total unit limitation set by Mercedes, I think. While I think I am well within the spec safety margin, I have started re-evaluating what I take with me. As a new motorhome owner, I would say I am "well equipped". On the other hand, I'm learning there is lots of stuff just not worth taking. I have enough experience now to start culling out the marginal stuff and think I can come very close to the specification level. I know the cab over adds weight, but I would not give it up as it provides a great place for quick and accessable storage, knowing one has to be reasonable now.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We've been experimenting with composite floor....
We love our composite floor....OCCC = 1025

Thanks Brian!

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, weight