Old 01-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
JGB

2018 Isata 36 DS Dead Batteries

Much to my surprise we discovered the batteries in our 2018 Isata 5 36DS completely dead after 4-5 weeks parked in the barn, connected to shore power. After failing to get a significant charge for several day with a 200 amp charger, we had to bring in a heavy duty 800 amp charger to start the engine, although the coach batteries were fully charged. I was convinced that the batteries were dead and took it to our local Ram dealer who discovered that one of the alternators was bad and it was replaced. My confusion is why the inverter/charger didn't keep the batteries charged and my concern is being stranded if this happens again in some remote location. Has anyone experienced anything similar with there RAM 5500 Chassis?

JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
JGB

Video Mirror Has Quit

I also just discovered that the video rear view and side view mirror is dead, hopefully just a fuse from all of the battery issues, any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

The BIRD is the device that works to keep both the coach and chassis batteries charged either by shore/generator power or by the engine generators. Check out the link which will show you in detail. The BIRD is located in the compartment with your inverter/charger.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...7&d=1529004443
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
JGB

I have a tech coming by to check the bird tomorrow however once they replaced the alternator and charged the batteries it appears that the chassis batteries are being charged on shore power. I shut the engine off and with the ignition on, the batteries showed a constant 12 volts. I turned the lights on and saw a very slight momentary drop in the voltage, but once I plugged the shore power in the voltage immediately rose to 14 volts. I am guessing that the short in the one alternator must have had a direct ground that drained the batteries beyond what the bird could handle Thanks for the link, I will print it off in case the tech doesn't have access to something similar. Now I have to try to figure why the video mirror isn't working, since I couldn't find anything in the manual package or online. I am hoping it is a simple fuse, but where? I am trying to avoid any warranty work since it is a six week process regardless how simple the problem may be. Thanks again
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

You could have started the truck by depressing the aux 2 button while turning the ignition key. It connects the house batteries to the chassis.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
I have a tech coming by to check the bird tomorrow however once they replaced the alternator and charged the batteries it appears that the chassis batteries are being charged on shore power. I shut the engine off and with the ignition on, the batteries showed a constant 12 volts. I turned the lights on and saw a very slight momentary drop in the voltage, but once I plugged the shore power in the voltage immediately rose to 14 volts. I am guessing that the short in the one alternator must have had a direct ground that drained the batteries beyond what the bird could handle Thanks for the link, I will print it off in case the tech doesn't have access to something similar. Now I have to try to figure why the video mirror isn't working, since I couldn't find anything in the manual package or online. I am hoping it is a simple fuse, but where? I am trying to avoid any warranty work since it is a six week process regardless how simple the problem may be. Thanks again
I have never found a fuse on my I5 to the camera system but the camera controller is located under the center stack of the dash, on the floor behind the plastic panel. You could check there to determine if you have voltage. I have attached a picture of the controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	194373  
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
JGB

Great, this will be helpful.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
I have never found a fuse on my I5 to the camera system but the camera controller is located under the center stack of the dash, on the floor behind the plastic panel. You could check there to determine if you have voltage. I have attached a picture of the controller.
same for the Tecma toilet, I have never found the fuse for that hoping to do a power reboot of the system. Too many damn things not given to owners on these coaches, meaning complete schematics and wiring diagrams should be provided.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
JGB

Batteries and Video Update

We confirmed that the everything was working properly with the coach charger and the no start problem must have been directly associated with the defective alternator which has been replaced and everything is functioning properly. The side and rear view video failure was a very small 2 amp fuse which we traced back to a filter/line fuse that was located in the driver side door molding even though we had the proper 12 volts on the terminal block under the dash. We searched several locations and could not find the same type of fuse so we bridged the fuse line with a standard automobile fuse connector and placed a 2 amp automotive type fuse in its place, problem solved and we have video again.

Thanks to those that assisted us with these issues.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
same for the Tecma toilet, I have never found the fuse for that hoping to do a power reboot of the system. Too many damn things not given to owners on these coaches, meaning complete schematics and wiring diagrams should be provided.
I have posted it on here before....but as opposed to making anyone use the search, I'll just re-post here. I take that back, its too big.

Toilet is a 12V breaker, not a fuse. I think that breaker is in the battery bay on the back wall. Hitting the 12V disconnect would accomplish the same thing...cutting power to the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.39.07 P.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	194392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.39.21 P.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	194393  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toilet - Theftford - Tecma.pdf (1.65 MB, 14 views)

Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries