Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

2019 Isata 3 electrical issues

Do I have a lemon? House on wheels lots of moving parts, I get it. I'm comfortable with a few bugs but since delivery 10/19 and two short trips on its way to the dealer for the third time. Less the poor quality control on craftsmanship (window shade magnets separated from farm, slide out awning separated from coach in 20 mph winds..just a few) my biggest concern is the electrical issues. Number one is the slide..keeps getting fault and having to be reset. Works a few times then issues. Most recent issue wouldn't close all the and had to manually get it in. Issue at delivery and after. Dealer solution??? Operate while engine running..actually worked a few Tim's until recent issue. Other, 30 amp breaker pops when AC on generator, 15 amp breaker pops when coffee pot, microwave and tv are on (kitchen, fyi, microwave, tv all on 15 amp breaker)? Smells like wire burn near the panel. Turned on furnace for first time
and smoke filled the cabin..not as bad after..but strong odor? That's all from a four day trip...I'm afraid to go on a real trip...anyone having similar issues? Good news is sprint chassis and ride is awesome. Everything dynamax/forest river touched not so much.
Timms4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Commercial Member

is this your first RV? I am in no way trying to diminish any of these issues, but they are all very common.

1. Window shade magnets separated from the frame??? I'm not sure what you mean hear, as I don't know that we use magnets on the window shades.

2. The slide can have issues and the #1 cause is typically low voltage. So yes, running the engine helps...but more importantly, make sure the batteries are properly charged up. If the slide operates at low voltage, then it can cause weird issues with the electronics. Many people thing 12V's is good...but that is actually over half depleted. You would rather NOT have then drop below 12.2V. If you have confirmed that the batteries are in the 12.4-12.6 range when operating the slide, I would then start looking at maybe a bad controller. But 9 times out of 10, it is lower voltage.

3. 30 amp breaker can absolutely pop depending on what you have running. Heat make things operate inefficiently. An LP gen is only 3.6 KW. So operating the air and other devices, depending on what they are can trip the breaker. You may want to look at a "hard start capacitor". They make one for the AC's and those seem to help soften when the compressor starts up. We would really need to know more about the conditions at which you are operating to determine anything more? Altitude? Temps? What else was plugged in?

4. 15amp breaker. Coffee pot is resistance heating element and has a pretty high draw, as will the microwave. So this is very possible...you just have to be able to balance your loads. Unlike a house, which will typically have unlimited electricity...in an RV, it is all about conserving your resources. Water, Sewage and Power. TV is a low draw...it is more the microwave and the coffee pot that are the culprits. Does the coffee maker have a warming plate as well? What is the wattage draw? Also, as mentioned before, altitude reduces the capacity of the generator.

Is any of this happening when plugged into shore power? or just on generator? LP gen is 3.6kw. The Diesel gen is 3.2 kw.

5. Page 2 of the Suburban Furnace owners manual states "NOTE: During initial firing of this furnace a burn-off of excess paint and oils remaining from manufacturing process may cause “smoking” for 5 - 10 minutes."

Not dismissing any craftsmanship issues...just pointing out that a lot of the items you mention are learning curve/educational issues that are easily resolved as you learn about the new product. And really, things the dealer should be discussing when you take delivery.

Who is the dealer on this?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. First new RV not first Rv experience. I get there are things unique to any system.
Magnet strips hold the shades closed in the cab area.
The issues I incurred were on shore power, but the 30 amp breaker has popped with AC on generator.
The slide has faulted on gen power and shore power and that was before delivery. The motors sound different on each side, not all the rollers are in contact with track (identified by tech, who called dynamax and they no big deal. This slide thing scares the crap out of me.
If there is fix to this the dealer doesn't know. Turning off engine, putting stabilizers down and the restarting engine to push slide out makes no sense. I get microwave and coffee pot popping a 15 amp breaker but what are the doing on the same breaker when chances are your going to be running both at some point. Other issues not mentioned, exterior screws have surface rust, stairs don't retract. I get the furnace but should the first time the furnace is turned on be by the customer. The was driven 1300 miles to the dealer. End users are only as good as the information provided. The dealer is lazy days in Tampa and I'm headed there next for drop off.
Again understand there are compromises, but if wanted to compromise I would have bought another type of coach. Sorry for the typos....v/r
Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Ah, so you have the Remis Shade option? That is an aftermarket part we install...if you have a picture that will be helpful in case we are doing something wrong on the installation. Normally I don't hear a thing about those shades as I think they are pretty well built.

You can turn off the engine, put the levelers down and if you are plugging into shore power, then you don't need to have the engine running. The main thing, regardless of engine running or shore power is to make sure the batteries have time charge up.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

BC, I appreciate your replies and information. Dynamax should include Flow charts to operate this thing. Bottom line is I can deal the idiosyncrasies of the coach and mechanical not working after a few trips but.....brand new purchased 40 days ago on its way back to the dealer for the third time..not counting walking away on first walk through because of issues ( AC, Slide didn't work). Soooo, do I got a lemon?...anyone?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

I don't think lemon laws apply to rv's of any kind because of the bouncing they do on the road.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

As long as Lemon Laws don’t apply to RVs there will be NO ACCOUNTABILITY to the poor workmanship on all RVs.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Thanks, not looking for a way out, just looking to share the pain. I'm all in at this point and just sharing my disappointment with the process and need to lower quality expectations of what I assumed was a quality product . It cracks me up when they push the issues to operator error when the reality is poor information as to the capability/performance of the product. I really just want to hit the road and have confidence I can get from a to b without a stay at a rv garage.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timms4 View Post
bc, i appreciate your replies and information. Dynamax should include flow charts to operate this thing. Bottom line is i can deal the idiosyncrasies of the coach and mechanical not working after a few trips but.....brand new purchased 40 days ago on its way back to the dealer for the third time..not counting walking away on first walk through because of issues ( ac, slide didn't work). Soooo, do i got a lemon?...anyone?
i feel your pain after two years [warranty gone] and only 800 miles i have driven lci is working with we on slide problem [ don't work] have not been able to use motor home for fear of slides not working this is my 13th rv in my life the number should have told me something.l.o.l things will have to get better or a new owner is in sight.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timms4 View Post
It cracks me up when they push the issues to operator error when the reality is poor information as to the capability/performance of the product. I really just want to hit the road and have confidence I can get from a to b without a stay at a rv garage.
I am sorry you feel that way. I was simply trying to help diagnose the issues and also explain that some of the info can be found in the owners manuals that we ship (hard copy if we have it), flash drive and also available on the web.

We also rely very heavily on the dealer to do a proper walk through. We try extremely hard to publish videos, specs, manuals, tips, etc in any and every format that someone might possible use, including this forum to help educate and inform our customers.

You just bought a house, a car, new appliances and a back up generator all on the same day. We're here and ready to answer whatever questions you may have.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Remis Shades

"Window shade magnets separated from frame..."

We had that happen twice in our first 6 months. I just pressed the magnetic strip back into the frame using a pencil. Seems like it was really hot outside when this happened, but the magnet has stayed in place ever since. You're going to really like the Remis Shades.

One other thing, if that was the first time you fire up the PL furnace, the fumes can be a little alarming. We ran ours for about 20 minutes with the door and vents open. Never had fumes again. We've had 4 new RVs and every one did that.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

BC, this site has already saved me a couple of times. I appreciate your input and suggestions.
Everything we've discussed with the exception of the slide are things that I'm just disappointed with but not show stoppers. The slide on the other hand is a huge issue and is critical. I hope you guys can get with the dealer and figure this thing out. Unfortunately the negative issues overshadow all the positive aspects of the coach.

V/r
Old 11-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #13
Old Engineer

Remis Shade Magnets

"Window shade magnets separated from frame..."

We had the same problem on our 2019 Remis Shades, also only in hot weather.

After putting them back in the frame location a couple of times I re-applied them with Weldwood contact cement, end of problem.

I find that fixing things like this myself is preferable to a trip to the dealer, and our dealer is only 3 miles away.

This was a Remis problem, not a Dynamax problem.

Our 2019 Dynamax has been mostly trouble free and has never been back to the dealer yet.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 AM   #14

I have a 2019 isata 3 also and have had as many problems or more. No dealer support also. I have been working on the problems ln my shop for months.
theo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #15

Theo, what floor plan do you have?
I wish I had a shop and time to piddle with this thing.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
I have a 2019 isata 3 also and have had as many problems or more. No dealer support also. I have been working on the problems ln my shop for months.
Who is your dealer? Have you reached out to our customer service reps on our web site?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #17

I have a FW model. I purchased the unit from MHS and have had many conversations with service. They are great people. Today I am working on the black tank valve. Will not close and did not work well from day one. The cable takes two 90 degree turns at the valve. Been using drain valve lub but it is not a lub problem. The valve seems to be installed with a roofing tar. My plan is to use a micro torch and warm the connection between the tank and valve. Remove the 4 bolt clamp and and rotate the valve 45 degrees. If you have a FW model you May have the same problem.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
Commercial Member

We actually use the Dometic "Easy Open/Close" cable valves. I prefer a straight pull, but code requires the valve to be within so many inches of the tank discharge. A straight pull electronic would be great, but we haven't figured out how to make one fit in the space that we have. We sent the data over to the valve people to figure out.

Most of the time its not an issue, but every now and then we get a cable valve that is finicky.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #19

Thanks for the info theo, so far so good after one trip. I'll keep you updated on the slide issue, not letting lazy days or dynamax off the hook, I have a $100,000+ worth of resolve.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #20

Thanks, I have been trying to figure out if an electric valve could be installed. Please let me know if it is possible. I have been trying to get that kind of info from service. The comment I made about great service people was a reference to the Dynamax service people not MHS.
I was successfull by rotating the valve 45 degree up. That took out one of the 90 degree turns. The valve can now be closed with a moderate amount of pull.

Tags
electric, electrical