Old 09-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

2019 Ram 5500 Chassis Cab 43,000 lb. Max GCWR?

I see the Ram site is promoting the 2019 Ram Chassis Cab as the highest in the industry at 43,000 lbs GCWR (https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-chassis-cab.html). But, the Isata 5 30FW is listed as having 37,500 lbs GCWR. What is Dynamax doing that is causing it to be underrated by 5,500 lbs?

It seems like they would want to promote an increased GCWR even if not all the way up to the 43K that Ram lists. With all of the complaints I see about CCC publishing the additional capacity could be/would be a key selling feature.

Granted I don't fully understand what all of the weight specs mean but I have a pretty good general understanding and when we take delivery of our MH later this year I expect the dry CCC of our Isata 5 30FW to be around 1,600 lbs. based on the model stickers I've seen. That should be enough for my wife and I and our small dog with all of our stuff - we'll see. But, if I'm over by couple hundred lbs of well distributed weight I don't see why I should be concerned. First I'm sure the upfitter (Dynamax in this case) has likely calculated a safety buffer that they will probably not admit for legal reasons and second the chassis mfg. specs says it is capable of much more and the true CCC capacity is somewhere in between - unless the upfitter is changing the chassis/suspension to lower the GCWR from the mfg. specs. What am I missing?

There just seems to be sooo much concern about CCC on the Isata line which could easily be put to bed with updated published GCWR as long as the RAM chassis can handle it - which it appears it can.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Comparing a cab and chassis to a full built coach is comparing apples to oranges.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Comparing a cab and chassis to a full built coach is comparing apples to oranges.

Why? The Chassis Cab is intended to be upfitted, correct? Ambulance, Dumptruck, Trailer Hauler, etc. How is upfitting these vehicles different then a MH in terms of chassis specs and capabilities? Why does a Coach diminish the capacity of the chassis more than these others? So an ambulance would have much less then the 43K GCWR as well?

Is Dynamax modifying the chassis or just building on top of it?

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

It's still a 19.5k GVWR regardless of what the combined rating is. With a 10k hitch you're never going to get there anyways. Combined rating really doesn't have anything to do with CCC unless your towed vehicle cuts into it for some reason.

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
It's still a 19.5k GVWR regardless of what the combined rating is. With a 10k hitch you're never going to get there anyways. Combined rating really doesn't have anything to do with CCC unless your towed vehicle cuts into it for some reason.
^this^ GCWR has nothing to do with CCC really. Also, if you look at that it is up to 43k with a little 8 for a footnote. And saying to see your dealer for details.

As a side note....you should have more Than 1600 lbs of ccc on a 30 FW.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Thank you both. I obviously missed the mark on the GCWR but I appreciate your responses and your help in my continuing education of owning a MH.

Now if I could just get the darn thing so the real education can begin!

Tags