Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

2020 DX3 vs. 2020 Newmar Super Star

Hey All...

If you had a choice, which one would you choose and why, other than simply price? I know price is important but not a deciding factor to us since we planned accordingly.

Both have a floorplan we like just fine, both have hydronic heat/hot water, both on a FL Chassis with certain upgrades as well.

We like them both and both have pros and cons.

And I know about the fact that the Newmar is now a Winnebago so no need to go there!

Feel free to chime in!

Thanks in advance.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

My 2 cents is Dynamax only builds and sells Class C RVs. Seems like Newmar and Entegra are trying to expand into areas that have never been their core business.

Three of Dynamax models are on the Freightliner chassis and a significant portion of their business with the DX3 definitely their most popular model on that chassis. They have been building on the Freightliner for a long time and understand it well.

As to price, I have not looked but would not be surprised is the Newmar product is substantially more than just a minor difference.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Thanks Milkman...I hear you.

And from I can gather it is about a $50,000 difference so not chump change.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

I'd go with dynamax for both their experience I the Super C space as well as after sales support
Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #5

Looked at it online. Same chassis as the Dynamax except with the air ride cab. Would be interesting to how much that improves the ride. They are using the L9 engine with the 150 ft lb torque increase, same that I got mine upgraded to. I think they are using a slightly taller/wider tire. The rear storage area is nice. Apparently the Newmar interiors is what is supposed to set them apart, didn't seem that much better to my eye, mostly bling. And, with typical options the price will be right at 400K. I didn't see anything that made this rig worth paying 150K more than a comparable Dynamax. Clearly they are aiming for a different price point market.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Pickles - great thread. We've been lurking for a while leaning further and further towards purchasing a Dynaquest 37RB. We've had a 5th wheel for a few years with a second bathroom and the wife will never go back to a RV without one. We've postponed for at least a while for the dust to settle around the Newmar launch. I'm a little old school and would never buy a first year anything - and in the RV industry, that might extend to two. The Newmar is certainly good looking and well appointed. The air cab will be interesting to see what people are saying about it a year from now. We agree with you that we're not going to allow the price to be the deciding factor. That said, from my reading the last couple years and cornering every single Dynamax owner I ever ran into at an RV park to seek feedback, Newmar has their work cut out for them. Another poster made a great point that this is what Dynamax does, not that others can't make a great product, this is team Dynamax bread and butter. While I really like the Newmar 4051 floor plan (more so than the 37RB), the Dynamax product will be hard to beat. If you lurk on each of the manufacturers forums for a while, you'll quickly see issues from both. The most important difference in these two rigs to me personally (again, having lurked here for some time) is Brian C. I've never met Brian but his involvement with this forum and willingness to engage with end consumers is a rare thing these days. I've written off the other competition but as we get closer to buying our retirement rig, Dynamax has the edge for us.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I think we're going to get a little better idea soon. A magazine took ours, theirs and one built on an S2RV to do some testing at a camp site. I'm not sure if it will be a series, but off the record feedback was that the DX3 stood head and shoulders above. Not saying against which...but I will just say I heard the comment from multiple testers and support staff. If it is a series, we will all have a cover, if it is just one, I believe we got the cover shot.

The one thing that has concerned me, and I'm still not sure why they did it, other than the novelty of it, was the air ride cab (which already had air ride seats) with the air ride rear. That means the connection between the front and back is floating and requires a boot of some sort between. It also requires a hydraulic ram to support the cab when the air leaks out when sitting.

again, off the record, the one comment I heard on the test drive was that it was crab-walking. Again this was a demo, so don't put too much into that, I would say test drive it yourself to be sure. They build a good product and I would never speak ill of their product, I just feel like on this one, they were over complicating it. Maybe I'm wrong and it becomes all the rage.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think we're going to get a little better idea soon. A magazine took ours, theirs and one built on an S2RV to do some testing at a camp site. I'm not sure if it will be a series, but off the record feedback was that the DX3 stood head and shoulders above. Not saying against which...but I will just say I heard the comment from multiple testers and support staff. If it is a series, we will all have a cover, if it is just one, I believe we got the cover shot.

The one thing that has concerned me, and I'm still not sure why they did it, other than the novelty of it, was the air ride cab (which already had air ride seats) with the air ride rear. That means the connection between the front and back is floating and requires a boot of some sort between. It also requires a hydraulic ram to support the cab when the air leaks out when sitting.

again, off the record, the one comment I heard on the test drive was that it was crab-walking. Again this was a demo, so don't put too much into that, I would say test drive it yourself to be sure. They build a good product and I would never speak ill of their product, I just feel like on this one, they were over complicating it. Maybe I'm wrong and it becomes all the rage.
I looked at the Newmar when it was first launched and thought maybe it would be a serious competitor to Dynamax but since looking at product in the market it feels overpriced for nothing special. I agree with Brian the air ride cab is a big turn off for me, even if the ride is much better I can see huge problems after a few years of ownership with boots and leaks, etc. I’m sticking with Dynamax
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Wow...lots of quality input and I appreciate it.

Here is a quick update:

I went and test drove both this past week. Like others, I am not seeing enough of a significant difference between the two. Both are nice but the Newmar did nothing special for me, quite honestly.

Ride: The two chassis are the same from I can tell. The Newmar ride may was interesting and bouncy...but not really better from what I can tell. The larger front tires are not bad thing. When it comes time to replace can I put on 315s instead of the current 275s without any modifications to anything? Just wondering. Also, the wheelbase is quite a bit longer on the Newmar which I liked. But again, very little noticeable difference and I was seriously concentrating on any differences I could find. Bottom line: Not a big enough difference in smoothness on the bumps and, even more importantly, expansion joints over bridges.

Cab: Very similar but the Dynamax added the permanent rear view/side view camera which is nice. Not so on the Newmar. Just the little Kenwood screen.

House: Newmar went with a Ventana level finish which is their lowest level. Sort of a disappoint, really. Also, a bit on the grandparenty side...still. Dynamax appears more modern but not over the top modern. Newmar has a few more windows but not that important to me. Newmar does offer a dishwasher which I like. Can Dynamax put one in when ordered from the factory? Would be nice! Bottom Line: You are on your own. To each his own when it comes to this sort of thing.

Electronics: Very basic and old style Newmar. Ugh. No dimmers on all those puck lights, no Multiplex screen to monitor everything, no cool extra indirect lighting. Bottom Line: Dynamax does a much better job me thinks.

Cab over window: This is a nice feature we are seeing more and more on Super Cs. Not seeing it on a Dynamax, yet. Many think that the potential for leaking is too great. I do like the view, however. Bottom Line: Not a big deal to me either way.

Roof: Similar but the Newmar did have the gutters installed so no dripping down the side of the coach. Other than that, both fiberglass roofs. Bottom Line: No difference but adding gutters would not be difficult or too expensive in future Dynamaxs?

Exterior: Both look very nice. Integrated awnings, euro style windows, heated bays for the most part. Newmar seems to have a bit of an issue with heating the bays so they add on the heating pads to their takes because if I remember right those tanks are not elevated such as they are in the Dynamax. Newmar did offer a slide out but it takes up a lot of space. They also have a bit more passthrough. Dynamax has that AH heater that should keep you pretty safe in cold weather. Bottom Line: I like them both. Minor pros and cons to both.

CB Radio: Dynamax puts one in and I love it! Never know when you might need it. I am a Ham Radio operator going on 35 years now so seeing this along with easily being able to add other antennas and radios is a huge plus for me. Newmar puts on the antenna but no CB?! What the heck is with that?!

Have yet to make the final decision but I think one can decipher which direction I am heading.

Also, great point made here about the unknowns regarding the cab being "detached" from the house. No one knows how that will hold up and it could be a pricey fix down the road. If it made a huge difference in ride quality I would take that risk, but it really didn't.

Finally, anxious to see this article that BC alerted us to on this thread. What magazine and when is it supposed to come out?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Why I chose a Newmar

Motorhome magazine...december.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3