Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Our design has ridges in the top. They are supposed to design the tank to prevent things like this.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #42

How about the macerating toilet as an extra cost option. I know it's standard on the 36 but it would be worth extra $ to have a more efficient disposal system.
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Currently we don't have that figured into our harness, so it is something that would need to be developed. It seems to be 50/50. If we install the macerator, someone complains about the water usage. If we find a way to use gravity, then the other half complains because they wanted to macerator. Option might be doable, but we try and limit those and keep things simple.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #44

"If we find a way to use gravity,"

Gravity is your friend , no cost , no repairs works 100% of the time.

A macerator requires space , uses more water , eats electric and frequently needs repair UGH!

Many will not pass material if not in operation , UGH again.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"If we find a way to use gravity,"

Gravity is your friend , no cost , no repairs works 100% of the time.

A macerator requires space , uses more water , eats electric and frequently needs repair UGH!

Many will not pass material if not in operation , UGH again.
I'm with Fred. Gravity is our friend, plop right into the deepest part of the tank whenever possible. Just like an out house.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
This was my engineer's "visual representation" of what could be happening. Not to scale of course. And yes...it would be nice if anyone cared, but right now the demand is so high its hard to have any pull whatsoever.

We have sent the designs over to another supplier for a potential long term fix...but in the meantime we just have to stay diligent.
Probably recycled plastic also. DW brought home some water bottles other day and you could hardly hold one that it would not crush.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I'm with Fred. Gravity is our friend, plop right into the deepest part of the tank whenever possible. Just like an out house.
I would agree with this except the depth of the tank where the toilet empties is only 4 inches with only 2 inches from the end of the pipe to the bottom of the tank. That said, I'd rather have gravity, but in our configuration we will have to use lots of water to make sure no pyramid forms, maybe as much water as a macerater? I've never used one so don't know.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #48

Fred: I've used 2 macerating toilets for 11 years with no problems...!

Casey: I had to use outhouses in my early (childhood) years. Yes, gravity is infallible but fortunately I now have better plumbing ...

Mountiman:Have her buy Dasani, only 1$ more per case here and sturdier bottles...

Kevin: I definitely sympathize with your aggravation ... I hope it's solved before I am empathizing with it..!

Mr Clemens: Please find o way to put a macerating toilet in My 30FW. I've already pushed enough crap in my life and getting too old to push any more...!

All posted with a smile on my lips and hope in my heart...😎
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
I would agree with this except the depth of the tank where the toilet empties is only 4 inches with only 2 inches from the end of the pipe to the bottom of the tank. That said, I'd rather have gravity, but in our configuration we will have to use lots of water to make sure no pyramid forms, maybe as much water as a macerater? I've never used one so don't know.
I'm thinking you need a shorter pipe or a new tank or both. Here's another question does the shallow portion of the tank under you toilet slope towards the deep end? And if not maybe they cold prop it up to give it a glide slope?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post
Fred: I've used 2 macerating toilets for 11 years with no problems...!

Casey: I had to use outhouses in my early (childhood) years. Yes, gravity is infallible but fortunately I now have better plumbing ...

Mountiman:Have her buy Dasani, only 1$ more per case here and sturdier bottles...

Kevin: I definitely sympathize with your aggravation ... I hope it's solved before I am empathizing with it..!

Mr Clemens: Please find o way to put a macerating toilet in My 30FW. I've already pushed enough crap in my life and getting too old to push any more...!

All posted with a smile on my lips and hope in my heart...😎

Agree on the Dasani well worth it, those cheap thin bottles get you wet just trying to open them.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #51

Quote:
When it comes to all things sewer, simplest is bestest!
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #52

I’m just thinking here, but just mabee the production of any unit that requires the use of said poorly designed tank should be halted till a proper tank can be acquired for production use. Then I really stopped daydreaming and realized it’s all about the profit and production numbers , not quality or the end customers satisfaction. And most of all , would not want to hurt the tank manufacturers feelings.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #53

Quote:
I'm thinking you need a shorter pipe or a new tank or both. Here's another question does the shallow portion of the tank under you toilet slope towards the deep end? And if not maybe they cold prop it up to give it a glide slope?
We are gonna have a discussion with the dealer when we go for our "fixit" appt on May 30. Since BC already notified the warranty people it shd not be hard to find something to help solve the problem. Right now the tank bulges down just after the toilet pipe enters it thus diminishing the downward angle toward the deep part. If they can shorten the pipe and support that part of the tank it should help immensely. If we need a new tank it will have to wait till summers end, meanwhile we will be using lots of water to flush!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
I’m just thinking here, but just mabee the production of any unit that requires the use of said poorly designed tank should be halted till a proper tank can be acquired for production use. Then I really stopped daydreaming and realized it’s all about the profit and production numbers , not quality or the end customers satisfaction. And most of all , would not want to hurt the tank manufacturers feelings.

Some RV companies are in the money business, they’re in business only to make money. They do that by making RVs.

Other companies are in the RV business. They have to make money, but they are in the business of making RVs. I suggest that Dynamax is in this latter category.

One main reason RV’s lack quality rests with the suppliers. In the 1980s automobile manufactures saw their industry increasingly dominated by high quality Japanese products. To catch up, they changed everything they did including demanding that suppliers did as well. That’s how high quality autos are now produced in the USA.

Until the RV industry can demand supplier quality, it will continue as it is. Dynamax has a GM who took a company through ISO 9001 certification, but he doesn’t control the tank manufacturer. I’m sure BC would like to have them attend an Ed Deming seminar!
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
It's not a poor design as much as it is a poor quality. We get them where they are perfectly flat across the top as they should be. We kick back, each and every one now that we know it is happening, but its not unusual for some plastic parts to be a little "mis-shaped". It normally adjusts to what we need on install. This one of course did not and now that we know that we refuse them, they are ground up and recycled, they produce us a new part.

I'm not sure how long shutting down a plant that uses this tank would be acceptable in anyones mind. Is it 3 days, two weeks, until we get good parts in? It's not quite that simple. If we shut down and stopped things, every time a supplier had a defect, the lead time would be one year.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Just a heads up....once o fly engineers conducted a test. They found the worst one we could find (caved top and bottom)...overfilled it, left it over night and it held its form when emptied.

I almost wonder if you could overfill it with water and let it sit. The only concern is that it would likely start going up the vent and now swell as we would like. Just a thought to get you to the appointment.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #57

Quote:

Mr Clemens has addressed this in 2 previous posts and has admitted there is a problem with the tank supplier and has engineers working on it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #58

Kevin:
Marinesan.com
MasterFlush 7640 RV Series
also docs.renegade.com
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just a heads up....once o fly engineers conducted a test. They found the worst one we could find (caved top and bottom)...overfilled it, left it over night and it held its form when emptied.

I almost wonder if you could overfill it with water and let it sit. The only concern is that it would likely start going up the vent and now swell as we would like. Just a thought to get you to the appointment.

I agree with BC, maybe overfill with fresh water (use your tank flush port) if you get too much water in it will flow out the vent pipe on your roof (trust me I did this once by getting distracted while running a black tank flush line ), so that when the water comes out the roof you'd have a full tank, let it sit like that for a few days checking every few hours to make sure you don't have any water leaking into the coach anywhere because this tank is over full, and see if that wouldn't pop the bulges back out?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Maybe you are right about some companies, but I don't think you'll find one out there that cares about their customers like Dynamax. As far as suppliers, I would believe that if they are getting inferior product Dynamax will do all they can in their power to correct the issue including changing suppliers if necessary. This toilet problem is an issue in a couple of units out of hundreds built and the factory is working to get it fixed. And the message about what might be done about the fix was delivered by the GM, it doesn't get much better than that.
Days camped 2021 = 25