Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

30fw toilet problem still!

2nd weekend out. Took everyones advice re using LOTS of water to flush, calgon in tank, etc. Again we got a poop/paper pyramid just under the toilet. I am PISSED. It seems there is a fault with the shape of the tank. It seems flat just under the toilet and doesn't drop off enough or something. We used a ton of water to flush but the poop just stuck there, it wouldn't go down to the rest of the tank. Again I had to reach in to push it down. I don't think I should have to be doing that! Brian Clemons, what could be happening? I know the 30fw is a new model, could it be that the wrong type tank is installed? What is the solution here? The first time I accepted this was our fault for not using enough water but not this time. After all, how much flush is enough? I flushed for at least 30 to 45 seconds. That's a LOT of water! This is unacceptable! Please Help!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
2nd weekend out. Took everyones advice re using LOTS of water to flush, calgon in tank, etc. Again we got a poop/paper pyramid just under the toilet. I am PISSED. It seems there is a fault with the shape of the tank. It seems flat just under the toilet and doesn't drop off enough or something. We used a ton of water to flush but the poop just stuck there, it wouldn't go down to the rest of the tank. Again I had to reach in to push it down. I don't think I should have to be doing that! Brian Clemons, what could be happening? I know the 30fw is a new model, could it be that the wrong type tank is installed? What is the solution here? The first time I accepted this was our fault for not using enough water but not this time. After all, how much flush is enough? I flushed for at least 30 to 45 seconds. That's a LOT of water! This is unacceptable! Please Help!
How far down does the drop pipe go? Your drop pipe may be too long. Others have had this problem. You may need to remove the toilet, pull the drop pipe and cut it shorter. It only needs to go into the tank about 4".

Do you fill the bowl as it would be at home before you us it? That is required. Do you put a few gallons of water in after you drain the tank?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #3

I put lots of water in the tank after dumping. I did not fill the bowl before going, never had to in our last RV but will surely do that now. Thanks for the tip!
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
I put lots of water in the tank after dumping. I did not fill the bowl before going, never had to in our last RV but will surely do that now. Thanks for the tip!
PLUP. Sticks like glue! Hope that fixes your problem.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

cuts down on bowl cleaning too
Old 05-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
I had this problem with my fifth wheel

Try this it works for me https://youtu.be/kohdqRRJer0
It’s a tank wand - simply push it into the middle of the pyramid and switch on the water !
Dave1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

I only get pyramids when I don't use single ply RV toilet tissue..
Talker2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

The other Isata 5's have a masserator, how about putting one in this model? It would probably require a bump in the paneling under the tv but that would beat pushing crap. Or maybe a vacuum flush on that model. When my new 30FW arrives I know my wife will say "you bought it you push the poop"!
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
How far down does the drop pipe go? Your drop pipe may be too long. Others have had this problem. You may need to remove the toilet, pull the drop pipe and cut it shorter. It only needs to go into the tank about 4".
We looked in the compartment underneath where the holding tanks are and the tank has a measured depth of 4 inches stretching from one side of the coach to the wet bay where only then it drops sharply and has a depth of not quite 12 inches. The tank length across the coach is 63 inches. That's 5'3" of tank that is only 4 inches deep! And, the toilet pipe enters about 3 feet from the end opposite the wet bay. When I put my hand down the toilet to measure how much space is between the end of the pipe and the bottom of the tank it turns out to be about 2 inches. So if the tank is only 4 inches deep at that point, and the pipe is 2 inches from the bottom, it seems there isn't much room to shorten it, right? So have to come up with another solution. This seems like, well, I dont want to say poor design, how about strange design. Are other coaches black tanks designed like this? I know my previous RVs were not.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 05-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
We looked in the compartment underneath where the holding tanks are and the tank has a measured depth of 4 inches stretching from one side of the coach to the wet bay where only then it drops sharply and has a depth of not quite 12 inches. The tank length across the coach is 63 inches. That's 5'3" of tank that is only 4 inches deep! And, the toilet pipe enters about 3 feet from the end opposite the wet bay. When I put my hand down the toilet to measure how much space is between the end of the pipe and the bottom of the tank it turns out to be about 2 inches. So if the tank is only 4 inches deep at that point, and the pipe is 2 inches from the bottom, it seems there isn't much room to shorten it, right? So have to come up with another solution. This seems like, well, I dont want to say poor design, how about strange design. Are other coaches black tanks designed like this? I know my previous RVs were not.
2" from the bottom of the tank to the end of the pipe is just not enough room. Not if I was using it!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Something is not right here. Even if pipe was cut off even with the top of the tank 4" is not even enough clearance. Its like its the wrong tank or the tank is turned wrong. Seems like it the toilet should be over the deep end of the tank with the shallow end making room for liquids when needed.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Something is not right here. Even if pipe was cut off even with the top of the tank 4" is not even enough clearance. Its like its the wrong tank or the tank is turned wrong. Seems like it the toilet should be over the deep end of the tank with the shallow end making room for liquids when needed.

That would be my guess also.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
If they turned the tank around it would take up a lot of space in the storage compartment on the passenger side of the coach. The black and gray tanks both extend from the passenger side all the way to the wet bay on the drivers side. I guess that's why they did it that way. Sure wish BC would chime in here with a little explanation. Was it designed this way? If so, what is the best way to utilize it. I'm gonna go to single ply paper, filling the bowl before flushing, Calgon to make it slippery and hope that I dont have to stick my arm down there again!
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 05-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
If they turned the tank around it would take up a lot of space in the storage compartment on the passenger side of the coach. The black and gray tanks both extend from the passenger side all the way to the wet bay on the drivers side. I guess that's why they did it that way. Sure wish BC would chime in here with a little explanation. Was it designed this way? If so, what is the best way to utilize it. I'm gonna go to single ply paper, filling the bowl before flushing, Calgon to make it slippery and hope that I dont have to stick my arm down there again!
Brian will chime in. He is the only one that would know for sure but if your measurements are right and you only have 2" clearance at the bottom, If that was my coach the only thing that would help is that stuff they give you to drink the night before you have a colonoscopy..
Old 05-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Brian will chime in. He is the only one that would know for sure but if your measurements are right and you only have 2" clearance at the bottom, If that was my coach the only thing that would help is that stuff they give you to drink the night before you have a colonoscopy..
Miralax !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #16

That is same tank that is in the 36DS. The difference is the Macerator toilet. The toilet holds water. Then when you flush it (2 choices large or small flush) , it fills with more water then macerates it, dumps it, and adds more water to the toilet. I have never had an issue with this setup. I use Happy Camper in the tank also.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...s=happy+camper

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #17

Warrant Issue ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
That is same tank that is in the 36DS. The difference is the Macerator toilet. The toilet holds water. Then when you flush it (2 choices large or small flush) , it fills with more water then macerates it, dumps it, and adds more water to the toilet. I have never had an issue with this setup. I use Happy Camper in the tank also.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...s=happy+camper
I had a feeling that was the case. The problem is the 30fw does not have a macerating toilet so the waste does not get chewed up before it goes into the tank. So it appears this tank set up actually needs the macerating toilet. So now what? My coach was one of the earliest off the line of this model. I will be interested to hear others experience with it.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #19

Sounds like it might be that pipe being too long? Once you hear from BC he'll figure it out.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Sounds like it might be that pipe being too long? Once you hear from BC he'll figure it out.
As I said earlier in the thread, the tank at that point is only 4 inches deep and the space between the end of the pipe and the bottom of the tank is about 2 inches so there really is no where to go in regard to shortening the pipe. They might need to swap out for a macerating toiet although I have no idea if that is even possible at this point.
Windsurf-mobile for us