Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

A/C wiring Isata 3

The ceiling cover for my air conditioner fell off the other day while I was driving. It appears the electrical box was taped and fell loose knocking the cover off. The high-voltage wires go into one side of the box however the wires attached to them are just wire nutted and come out the top where the cover should be for the electrical box. This does not appear to be right to me. It appears to be a typical home electrical box. The few images I have seen online appear to be a grey box with the wires plugging into the box. Can anybody tell me if they have something similar to mine? I will attempt to attach some photos.
Mmspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

AC wiring

Here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	209209  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmspring View Post
Here is a picture

That electrical is pathetic. The good news is you found it before it shorted and burned your rig. Fortunately any licensed electrician can repair it easily. I’d pay him and send the bill to Forest River with before and after pictures. Even if out of warranty I’d demand they pay. Have the electrician look over the other wiring while he’s there. In some way your actually quite lucky!
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

I agree. The reason for the box is to enclose the wiring connections so you do not have a fire. I did send an email to Dynamax on Friday so I should hear from them next week. I am only about 1 hour from the factory so I hope I can just take it there to get the wiring fixed. I also have one of my GFI plugs tripping and I thought it was a faulty plug but now I am wondering if I have some bad wiring somewhere else in the coach..I have owned it about 1 1/2 years and I know that there is a 2 year warranty on some things and 1 year on other components. I assume since this is an obvious problem in the factory that they will take care of the issue.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

I think I’d be watching over their shoulder to be sure they did it correctly. “Trust but verify” - think that’s the expression.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Commercial Member

as a side note...just because a box has tape on it, does not mean it was taped into place. (While the OP says "appears" which I am fine with, others seem to jump in and take that as fact).

The box is normally attached to the AC as I recall, we just wire into it.

We also have no idea what year the motorhome is, if someone else has worked on it and what is actually going on.

So I will reserve judgment until we get some of those facts. If you can shoot me the last 8 of your VIN, I will pass this picture on to my guys and see what they say.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

2017 Isata 3 Vin 9688039

I bought this new in 2018 and have never had the cover pulled off. I also sent an email to Brian Meeks and Dan Dobecki. Thanks for checking on this. It just does not seem correct with the wires coming out of the top where the cover should be.

Mike
Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Some of the wires are low voltage and are not a concern other than sloppy workmanship and maybe securing them in place better. But the 120 volt outlet box with no cover and the splices sitting in the open outside the box are a concern. Not to code. Looks like they tried to attach the box with a blob of caulk. And the AC cover falling down is ridiculous. Sad!

Nothing wrong using that type of outlet box as long as it has a cover plate on it. I would check the 120 volt splices to ensure they're done properly. Then attach the box with some screws and install a cover plate. Not worth taking it to anyone to get corrected but it could be worth notifying the manufacturer. Typical RV poor workmanship. When I take down our cover, I don't see any wires.

Although RVs are *supposed* to be built in accordance with the NEC, electrical work never gets inspected at the factories and there is no authority having jurisdiction you can notify and get the manufacturer forced to correct something. I have found many electrical issues in our TT that don't meet code, mostly bad workmanship. I just fix it and wait for the next problem to come along...
Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmspring View Post
2017 Isata 3 Vin 9688039

I bought this new in 2018 and have never had the cover pulled off. I also sent an email to Brian Meeks and Dan Dobecki. Thanks for checking on this. It just does not seem correct with the wires coming out of the top where the cover should be.

Mike
Thanks...you are with the right people for repair, but I will figure out exactly how its supposed to look and determine where it went wrong.

I know I have worked one some things that are a box and that box has tabs that go into the main body...so there is no cover exactly in that the body of the AC ( in my case it was a dishwasher), the body becomes the face plate. Not saying that is the case, we could have had a guy go completely off the rails here, but before I rush to judgment, I like to get the facts.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Some of the wires are low voltage and are not a concern other than sloppy workmanship and maybe securing them in place better. But the 120 volt outlet box with no cover and the splices sitting in the open outside the box are a concern. Not to code. Looks like they tried to attach the box with a blob of caulk. Sad!

I would check the 120 volt splices to ensure they're done properly. Then attach the box with some screws and install a cover plate. Not worth taking it to anyone to get corrected but it could be worth notifying the manufacturer. Typical RV poor workmanship.

Although RVs are *supposed* to be built in accordance with the NEC, electrical work never gets inspected at the factories and there is no authority having jurisdiction you can notify and get the manufacturer forced to correct something. I have found many electrical issues in our TT that don't meet code, mostly bad workmanship. I just fix it and wait for the next problem to come along...
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. You can't string up the entire industry off of a single TT that has nothing to do with my plant.

We can all "assume" what is going on here, but again, before we take it for fact let's do at a least the most basic and surface level investigation.

As for "never gets inspected at the factories and there is no authority having jurisdiction" Our plant gets inspected regularly by the RVIA.

I get a report after each inspection. They inspect the electrical as part of that and repeat offenses are MAJOR issues and they have the authority to shut my plant down. Depending on the level of issue...Class A, B, etc. it might only take ONE finding. If it is a repeat violation I have to have a written procedure on what steps we are taking to correct the issue and several parties are involved.

We answer to OSHA, NHTSA, DOT, RVIA along with the environmental testing that we get due to our paint shop.

I am sorry if your TT has had issues, but that is not a reflection of the plant that I operate.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Commercial Member

We're not sure what is going on there. The AC's have their own electrical box that we wire into....and that's not it. They attach with a two clips and two screws. This looks like the wiring has been modified. Did the dealer do any add ons or anything? I am going to check the records and see if they did any repairs.

Edit: the only warranty items I show are a repaired ceiling vent in the bedroom and the recall for the exhaust and battery TSB.

Did they add any aftermarket items as part of the sale?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

The only thing we have had work done on was the awning which was repaired by the dealer and they added the truma water heater rotary switch that was not included. I have not had any work done on the ceiling vent or batteries unless that was completed before we purchased the RV. We purchased it on
1-24-18 at Motorhomes 2 Go in Grand Rapids.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #13

The only after market item was the addition of the table between the front seats.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I have long ago learned to never say "impossible". That is not the box we normally use and I don't think we even carry a metal box like that. That was built at the tail end of 2016...so who knows if anyone remembers it correctly for then. So the we just need to get it take care of at this point and get some additional pictures from the servicing dealer.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #15

I am actually just as close to the factory as I am to the dealer. Can I contact somebody there to bring it to the factory for service or do I need to take it to the dealer?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Per my PM, my guys already know you're coming. We're fairly well booked up, but I'd like our guys to take a look. So bring it by after your Thursday Jack appt. We'll have a group leader take a look and get it cleaned up properly. I gave you the contact info in the PM.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #17

Ok, Thanks for all of your help.

Mike
Old 07-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #18

A/C wiring Isata 3

BCClemens. Let me complement you on this and other issues you handle promptly and courteously. You are a credit to your organization. Hope to meet you at the rally.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag73e View Post
BCClemens. Let me complement you on this and other issues you handle promptly and courteously. You are a credit to your organization. Hope to meet you at the rally.
I would like to agree with this and add that the few small things I have found over 3 years on my Isata 3 FW were fixed by me and reimbursed by Dynamax (All of them). As far as the wiring goes on my Isata 3 I have been very impressed with the quality of the work. I did some "tie strapping" to bundles and individual wires but mostly because I am OCD with 35 years working as an Electrician on Naval Aircraft. All of the splices and wire runs were very clean and I have not had any electrical problems at all. Dynamax should not be lumped into the rest of the RV industry as they have no say in how other plants operate.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #20

Just an update. It appears the dealer might have used the air conditioner for a repair prior to my purchase. We assume this happened because this is a different model A/C from the one that supposed to come with the RV. They replaced it with a better model but did not complete the installation properly. With the help of Brian and Greg at Dynamax the issue has been resolved and the wiring is now correct....

Tags
wiring