Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I purchased my DX3 with the sunset orange custom paint job signed by whoever... I will say this. I love my DX3 and love the paint job for what it is but as far as quality, it's HORRIBLE.

I had paint overspray (and I don't mean a dusting) on rubber around both my windows, I had paint on my glass, the orange peel was terrible... trash in the paint, spots that were wet sanded but never buffed completely. Even the VIN decal and tire pressure decals were based off to put the custom paint job on and it looks like Helen Keller masked them off.

Granted, I'm in the bodyshop business for over 38 years and am extremely anal about paint (thus the reason why our body shop paints all of Nascar's Rick Hendrick's museum and private cars)

If I had the opportunity to order, I think I'd order a single color and either take it to a custom paint shop or have it wrapped with graphics.

My .02 worth

Mark
Your gonna wake Bill and a couple others up with a negative comment about Dynamax anything and he will tell you, you dont need to be in the RV business... LOL
I know what your talking about though cause I seen an Isata 5 at a show and the paint was on the trim piece below the drivers window probably 1/16".. Also around the front fender wells was not up to par either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
That’s probably me. Truthfully, I don’t even know what to look for besides overspray on rubber. My DX3 should arrive in a month or so. I ordered it in a Ford Oxford White solid. I hope it turns out nice since it’s just a solid paint job and it should save them some labor.
I love white vehicles. You have to post some pics when you get some.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #22

Our new Force HD has a beautiful paint job, and my family has had shown winning cars painted for years. I had a little overspray on one of the handles for a storage bin that should come off pretty easily. My original Force had a lot of overspray on the truck cab glass and mirrors.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I purchased my DX3 with the sunset orange custom paint job signed by whoever... I will say this. I love my DX3 and love the paint job for what it is but as far as quality, it's HORRIBLE.

I had paint overspray (and I don't mean a dusting) on rubber around both my windows, I had paint on my glass, the orange peel was terrible... trash in the paint, spots that were wet sanded but never buffed completely. Even the VIN decal and tire pressure decals were based off to put the custom paint job on and it looks like Helen Keller masked them off.

Mark
Pictures? I always think that helps establish expectations.

Technically ALL RV paint is custom paint. The masks are specific to the particular mfg. Or, you could say, NONE of it is custom paint as you get to choose from a small collection of colors and styles, pre-designed by us. Customer paint, in my mind would be a customer that chooses specific colors or design...that we don't really do.

Dean Loucks (who did the mask design on the DX3), does in fact do custom paint. He has done some for RV shows and that price tag is normally about $30,000. I recall one he did for Damon that was a 30' Class A and it was with flames...super cool. We charge nowhere near that.

There are some areas that we do not cut and buff....typically fenders or tight areas with lots of ridges to prevent anyone from burning through the paint. For example, on the 3 series, we do not cut and buff below the belt line. Too many odd angles and protrusions.

So, anyway, if you can post some pictures of the issues it would be help to all to see what you consider horrible.

Class A's have the benefit of painting some parts before they are installed. We try and do that were we can...like the awnings. But unfortunately, the cab is the cab and we have to tape around all of that.

PS. Not trying to defend our paint. Just explaining some of the process (not cutting and buffing certain areas) and genuinely asking for pictures. I have seen some horrendous over spray (clearly our fault) that someone didn't notice. And some that was really light on the edge of a window that they claimed was mass negligence.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #24

Just got our I5 36DS last Friday and I tend to be a perfectionist but the paint and finish is outstanding when compared to Thor and Winnebago motorhomes I have owned. Besides, I had rather finish up the areas Brian is talking about myself rather than pay more for the coach or have to wait another couple of weeks for delivery!
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #25

We love our paint job. Best rv paint I've ever had. I get complements almost every time we stop for fuel or camping.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
So I will be submitting a one month notice to my boss here in a few hours and will be retiring, but I have some more pressing things to attend to such as upgrading from our Lexington and ordering a new DX3. We will probably order the unit in the next 6 months to a year from now
Good Luck and best wishes on your retirement plans.
I am just a few steps in front of you, I submitted my papers just a few months ago for retirement after 30 years in law enforcement, its time to enjoy life, and thanks to Joe & Kathy from the forum, I decided to to put my Monaco on the Market and find my way into a DX3. I still have a few years before my retirement can take affect but I wanted to order my DX3 now so the day that my ID card gets punched, I can hit the road for more then just a two week vacation.
And yes, A good man knows his limitation....!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Hauler View Post
I am just a few steps in front of you, I submitted my papers just a few months ago for retirement after 30 years in law enforcement, its time to enjoy life, and thanks to Joe & Kathy from the forum, I decided to to put my Monaco on the Market and find my way into a DX3. I still have a few years before my retirement can take affect but I wanted to order my DX3 now so the day that my ID card gets punched, I can hit the road for more then just a two week vacation.
Thanks I appreciate, and best wishes to you also. I am from the engineering field but was a Volunteer Firefighter/Officer for 30 years so I really appreciate your profession.
Don't ya just love Dirty Harry!!
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
Commercial Member

PS. On the 5 series, we have had about 10 conversations about overspray and taping. The fenders are not removable and they have a little rubber molding between the fender and the body. On the handles, there is a foam gasket. HUGE pain in the behind. So we either drill out the fenders, risking damage, or we try to tape them. Taping rubber is problematic at best. One little piece of tape doesn't stick and the paint is flowing in.

In the end, I think the best solution (which is why we get black chassis) is to tape over the rubber 1/8" to get back on the body for a clean line. Leave a small black pin at the problem areas. This is why we also buy the Freightliner in black now. Then the rubber window seals shrink...you're not staring at white underneath. The black blends. Always trying to evolve.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
Thanks I appreciate, and best wishes to you also. I am from the engineering field but was a Volunteer Firefighter/Officer for 30 years so I really appreciate your profession.
Don't ya just love Dirty Harry!!
Its good to be a part of the forum, You can always find a like minded person to engage in conversation with, particularly when it come to an enjoyable product (Dynamax) and the best TV cop ever to star on screen.
CHEERS!!!! to us future Dyamax owners...
Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
PS. On the 5 series, we have had about 10 conversations about overspray and taping. The fenders are not removable and they have a little rubber molding between the fender and the body. On the handles, there is a foam gasket. HUGE pain in the behind. So we either drill out the fenders, risking damage, or we try to tape them. Taping rubber is problematic at best. One little piece of tape doesn't stick and the paint is flowing in.

In the end, I think the best solution (which is why we get black chassis) is to tape over the rubber 1/8" to get back on the body for a clean line. Leave a small black pin at the problem areas. This is why we also buy the Freightliner in black now. Then the rubber window seals shrink...you're not staring at white underneath. The black blends. Always trying to evolve.
Yes Brian that little rubber piece of molding is where I seen the overspray. Not bad but you could tell where the taping had been. There and the small piece of trim on the bottom of the drivers window.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Hauler View Post
Herbie, when you get your rig, it would be a pleasure to have you come

camping with us sometime (anytime) I think you have my cell?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #32

Quote:

What about just applying white grease on the rubber seals before painting?
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #33
Commercial Member

This is like an 1/4" fillet more than anything. The paint must go on and the clear needs to extend past the paint. grease is not an option and we're more likely to foul the surface than prevent an issue.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #34

It's cool. I was just explaining my experience. You have to remember too,I've been in the bodyshop business for 38 years, my eyes are always going pick out the bad in a paint... just can't help it. OCD doesn't help neither.

I don't have any pics because I sent them to Brandon (I think that was his name, I dealt with him before I was sent to Brian)

I just checked my email and apparently it's already been deleted, it was back in December when I purchased it.

In all fairness, Dynamax told me they would cover it under warranty but since I'm not a dealer, I just wanted it fixed and it was faster and better for me to just do it myself and knock it out.

Mark

Quote:
Pictures? I always think that helps establish expectations.

Technically ALL RV paint is custom paint. The masks are specific to the particular mfg. Or, you could say, NONE of it is custom paint as you get to choose from a small collection of colors and styles, pre-designed by us. Customer paint, in my mind would be a customer that chooses specific colors or design...that we don't really do.

Dean Loucks (who did the mask design on the DX3), does in fact do custom paint. He has done some for RV shows and that price tag is normally about $30,000. I recall one he did for Damon that was a 30' Class A and it was with flames...super cool. We charge nowhere near that.

There are some areas that we do not cut and buff....typically fenders or tight areas with lots of ridges to prevent anyone from burning through the paint. For example, on the 3 series, we do not cut and buff below the belt line. Too many odd angles and protrusions.

So, anyway, if you can post some pictures of the issues it would be help to all to see what you consider horrible.

Class A's have the benefit of painting some parts before they are installed. We try and do that were we can...like the awnings. But unfortunately, the cab is the cab and we have to tape around all of that.

PS. Not trying to defend our paint. Just explaining some of the process (not cutting and buffing certain areas) and genuinely asking for pictures. I have seen some horrendous over spray (clearly our fault) that someone didn't notice. And some that was really light on the edge of a window that they claimed was mass negligence.
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #35
Commercial Member

No worries. I'll check out the pictures in our system.

And understand seeing things others don't. Having been in RV's now for 16 years (production line, engineering, purchasing before that)...I see what a lot of people don't. I don't bash my competitors, but when I walk some of the product people rave about...I cringe. Often times, I see people say "you should do this like these guys...and I'm thinking, I hope you are telling them they should do this like us...because I see when they skimp on parts, or installation, and where things will break on the first trip".

Old 04-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #36

Congrats and Welcome

We got the Isata 5 at DeMartni and are very happy with their service and Brent Demartini our salesman. We were there Tuesday and Brent told us he is getting a DX3 and has Force HD on order. The Dx3 is supposed to be there for the RV show on April 28. He said it is a 37TS with the 50 tv, fold out couch/bed. Give Brent a call, set up an appt to see it. Let him know Steve and Kacy from Sparks refered you.
Isatago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isatago View Post
We got the Isata 5 at DeMartni and are very happy with their service and Brent Demartini our salesman. We were there Tuesday and Brent told us he is getting a DX3 and has Force HD on order. The Dx3 is supposed to be there for the RV show on April 28. He said it is a 37TS with the 50 tv, fold out couch/bed. Give Brent a call, set up an appt to see it. Let him know Steve and Kacy from Sparks refered you.
Hey thank you so much for the information I really appreciate it. I have looked at their web site and they do not list the DX3, Force or XL's so I figured they did not sell them. I will definitely drop your name when I talk to them. This will make seeing one in person much easier.
How do you like your I5 so far, does it have good power? They are pretty cool looking.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #38
Commercial Member

They are a new dealer for the M2. That's how we get you...the 3, 4 and 5 series. Once they get a little taste...then they take on the big trucks.

I think we tried to steal them one to get something in stock sooner...but it still may be a bit.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #39

Clhjsh,

We love the I5. Some problems, most repaired already at DeMartini. Both recalls on the 5500 chasis on our unit. No dealers in our area Reno/Sparks wish to handle repairs. We do have a Cummins Care Center that can willingly service the 6.7 Cummins and Onan. Still checking with FCA to get a local service center to make warranty repairs. This is the main reason DW and I are thinking of upgrading to a DX3 in a few years. The I5 has all the power we need. Tows our 75 anniversary Jeep Wrangler unlimited with no problem. Straight up Donner summit barely slowing us down to 55.
Isatago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #40
Commercial Member

We are begging Ram to do a better job of pushing their dealers on the service end.

According to them...IF you sell the 5500, then you must service the 5500. Including all up-fits, etc. If you can't, you need to explain why. Either provide them a sublet facility or describe the facility upgrades and time frame that will allow you to do so. Or stop selling it. they call them a "Business Link" facility if I recall correctly.