Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

A Few DX3 Questions

So I will be submitting a one month notice to my boss here in a few hours and will be retiring, but I have some more pressing things to attend to such as upgrading from our Lexington and ordering a new DX3. We will probably order the unit in the next 6 months to a year from now but we have a few questions. We have searched the forum and on-line and that has answered most of our questions but a few remain.

1. I have seen threads on the forum regarding custom paint jobs but would it be possible to order the DX3 with a Dynaquest paint job in Velocity Red ?

2. How about the DX3 Sunset scheme except substitute the Velocity Red color for the Sunset Red color?

3. Or finally use the DX3 Sunset paint scheme and substitute 2017 GMC Acadia Red Tint Coat for the Sunset Red color?

Of course I would love to go thru a DX unit and kick the tires so to speak but Reno Nevada seems to be a black hole in the middle of dealers that handle the line and the dealers may or may not have one in stock so any thoughts? I was thinking an RV show but which shows would have a DX?
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
So I will be submitting a one month notice to my boss here in a few hours and will be retiring, but I have some more pressing things to attend to such as upgrading from our Lexington and ordering a new DX3. We will probably order the unit in the next 6 months to a year from now but we have a few questions. We have searched the forum and on-line and that has answered most of our questions but a few remain.

1. I have seen threads on the forum regarding custom paint jobs but would it be possible to order the DX3 with a Dynaquest paint job in Velocity Red ?

2. How about the DX3 Sunset scheme except substitute the Velocity Red color for the Sunset Red color?

3. Or finally use the DX3 Sunset paint scheme and substitute 2017 GMC Acadia Red Tint Coat for the Sunset Red color?

Of course I would love to go thru a DX unit and kick the tires so to speak but Reno Nevada seems to be a black hole in the middle of dealers that handle the line and the dealers may or may not have one in stock so any thoughts? I was thinking an RV show but which shows would have a DX?
I know Dynamax does custom paint jobs with customer requested colors, but Brian Clemens will need to answer those questions and quote the price.

Almost every unit shipped is either built for specific customers or the ones ordered for dealer inventory go in a day or two.

You may want to post up on this forum and find out if anyone lives close to you that has one they are willing to show.

The other option is to go back to Elkhart and arrange a factory tour, they always have DX3's of various models in production. But they do not keep "showroom" models on hand.

Good luck with your choice.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #3

If you feel like going to Tennessee in June there will be about 50 Dynamax there.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

Gotta say I'm jealous. Glad to see your priorities are in order though
Old 04-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts,
I would love to do the factory tour but Elkhart is a bit of haul from Reno but once retired who knows and I like the idea of someone local I may have to look into that.
The Tennessee idea is really good since everyone is an owner and could tell us the good, bad and the ugly but i like the thought. Maybe Lexi needs to go on a long road trip.
Yes I think I do have my priorities in order. A wise man once said "A man has got to know his limitations" (Dirty Harry).
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

1. we prefer not to put an XL paint job on the DX3.
2. yes
3. yes

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #7

Thanks BC I appreciate you time and response.
I understand item 1 and pretty much knew what the answer would be but had to ask!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
Thanks BC I appreciate you time and response.
I understand item 1 and pretty much knew what the answer would be but had to ask!
Enjoy your retirement. I have loved every minute of it.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

We have a new DX3 37ts Sunset and love it might be having to sell it in the near future because we are building a new house and not sure we can afford both. It's a 2018 with about 6,000 miles. Just FYI in case you might be interested. Terry 828-446-2434
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #10

Congrats on your retirement. In June I will have been retired 5 years, sure doesn't seem like it, but there have been no regrets and my 5th wheel keeps me occupied in the most positive of ways.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Wagon trail RV in Vegas. No dealers in SLC. Not sure about Sac or Bay Area options.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Last year wife and I went to Las Vegas to drive a DX3; it was the wrong model but Nanci was very nice and accommodating to allow us a short test drive. Haven't done any other business with them but if you do give her a call let her know her kindness and knowledge got her this reference from Utah:

Nanci
Sales Consultant
Wagon Trail RV, NV
Creston RV, MT
Van City RV, MO
702-202-2601 Office
307-315-5308 Cell
www.wagontrailrv.com

I hope this isn't running afoul of forum rules? If it is please delete and I will PM. Thanks..
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
Wagon trail RV in Vegas. No dealers in SLC. Not sure about Sac or Bay Area options.
I got your PM thanks.
For us it is Vegas, So. Cal and Boise Id. It seems odd to me but DeMartini in Grass Valley Ca. sells the Isata's but not the Force, DX or XL's?
Wagon Trail or it now seems to be Van City Rv in Vegas only shows one in stock with sale pending.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #14

Wagon Trail is a nice place and a great dealer. When we get our rig we'll use them for service.
mike_soca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

I purchased my DX3 with the sunset orange custom paint job signed by whoever... I will say this. I love my DX3 and love the paint job for what it is but as far as quality, it's HORRIBLE.

I had paint overspray (and I don't mean a dusting) on rubber around both my windows, I had paint on my glass, the orange peel was terrible... trash in the paint, spots that were wet sanded but never buffed completely. Even the VIN decal and tire pressure decals were based off to put the custom paint job on and it looks like Helen Keller masked them off.

Granted, I'm in the bodyshop business for over 38 years and am extremely anal about paint (thus the reason why our body shop paints all of Nascar's Rick Hendrick's museum and private cars)

If I had the opportunity to order, I think I'd order a single color and either take it to a custom paint shop or have it wrapped with graphics.

My .02 worth

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I purchased my DX3 with the sunset orange custom paint job signed by whoever... I will say this. I love my DX3 and love the paint job for what it is but as far as quality, it's HORRIBLE.

I had paint overspray (and I don't mean a dusting) on rubber around both my windows, I had paint on my glass, the orange peel was terrible... trash in the paint, spots that were wet sanded but never buffed completely. Even the VIN decal and tire pressure decals were based off to put the custom paint job on and it looks like Helen Keller masked them off.

Granted, I'm in the bodyshop business for over 38 years and am extremely anal about paint (thus the reason why our body shop paints all of Nascar's Rick Hendrick's museum and private cars)

If I had the opportunity to order, I think I'd order a single color and either take it to a custom paint shop or have it wrapped with graphics.

My .02 worth

Mark

Why wouldn’t you take it to your body shop to paint it? The size?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Why wouldn’t you take it to your body shop to paint it? The size?

It depends on the graphics. In my particular case, the graphics are custom with a lot of fading and shadowing. Custom paint like that is way above my ability. I bought my RV already built and didn't realize the paint was so bad upon delivery.

The problem with that is I live in NC and purchased the RV in KY. At that point, I had driven 9 hours to get there... not much I could do about it and besides, the dealer would probably send it to a half ass bodyshop.

Not sure how much you realize this but most planes, busses, RV's and huge items have HORRIBLE paint jobs. The detail isn't there. On the custom painted ones, they are better but to someone who is not in the business, they look great.

Mark
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
It depends on the graphics. In my particular case, the graphics are custom with a lot of fading and shadowing. Custom paint like that is way above my ability. I bought my RV already built and didn't realize the paint was so bad upon delivery.

The problem with that is I live in NC and purchased the RV in KY. At that point, I had driven 9 hours to get there... not much I could do about it and besides, the dealer would probably send it to a half ass bodyshop.

Not sure how much you realize this but most planes, busses, RV's and huge items have HORRIBLE paint jobs. The detail isn't there. On the custom painted ones, they are better but to someone who is not in the business, they look great.

Mark

That’s probably me. Truthfully, I don’t even know what to look for besides overspray on rubber. My DX3 should arrive in a month or so. I ordered it in a Ford Oxford White solid. I hope it turns out nice since it’s just a solid paint job and it should save them some labor.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
That’s probably me. Truthfully, I don’t even know what to look for besides overspray on rubber. My DX3 should arrive in a month or so. I ordered it in a Ford Oxford White solid. I hope it turns out nice since it’s just a solid paint job and it should save them some labor.

Don't get me wrong... the custom paint jobs on the DX3's look decent, great if it's moving down the road. I just think for what they're charging and if they are going to supply a "custom" job, they should be much better quality. Look at a paint job on a Newmar RV, literally flawless. No orange peel, no masking, no overspray, every part of the body painted without trim on it.

Basically the difference between one of our custom 20K and a 2500 scuff and shoot from a local bodyshop.

Mark
Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

We have the same color and ours was built for the dealer show so we didn't have any of the paint problems EXCEPT The swirl buffing marks. No over spray, really an amazing paint job but my husband is like you and so we took it to a special body shop in LA, Calif and they worked on it buffing, polishing and I don't know what all for almost 3 days and end the end it was $4800. but looks perfect, then we put one of the professional protection on it, another $1995. and it couldn't be better, just hope we never wreck it because I don't know who could match it. I am sure with your knowledge it's even more frustrating. Rarely can you find anyone in any occupation that really takes pride anymore. So Sad.
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote