Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

AC problems? Anyone have any?

I noticed this weekend it seemed a little warmer than normal in the bedroom. (get yer mind out of the gutter...lol) We had the thermostat set for 67 and had to turn the fans on.

Today I realized if I turn the thermostat to 60 and on cool and automatic, the fan starts to blow but on low. Clearly if you have it on auto and set it for 60, the fan should be blowing on high until it reaches the temp you have it set for.

So my question is, has anyone had any issues like that and if so, was it the air conditioner or the thermostat controller? I remember in my Newmar, when the air conditioner got low on freon, you replaced the whole unit, they don't recharge them.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Pull the grate and check the baffles first thing. Lots of them ended up not secured and the Tstat sensor is up on the return side so if it’s not separated from the cool air coming out it’ll think it’s much cooler than it is
Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

You might want to post both your AC maker/model and your T-stat maker/model.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Pull the grate and check the baffles first thing. Lots of them ended up not secured and the Tstat sensor is up on the return side so if it’s not separated from the cool air coming out it’ll think it’s much cooler than it is
Good idea... I'll check it out. Is the baffle the entire bottom grate part of the ac unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You might want to post both your AC maker/model and your T-stat maker/model.
That might be a good idea...lol.

Mark
Old 06-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Check your filters to see if they are clean or need cleaning.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #6

I believe the baffle is up above the grate. Haven't had to do mine so flying a little blind but Joe is an expert. Helped somebody their first day at the rally
Old 06-11-2018, 06:02 AM   #7

Joe helped me fix mine here at the rally. It was the baffle. If you remove filter and shine a torch you can see if it’s slipped. Set your temp to 70, leave for a while and then check van temp by holding the sleep button for 5 secs. When mine was set at 70 the van was 80 and the thermostat was reading 62. With the baffle slipped down cold at blows directly on the thermosister. I put mine back in place, taped it and now it’s perfect.
Bob
Motorhome1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I noticed this weekend it seemed a little warmer than normal in the bedroom. (get yer mind out of the gutter...lol) We had the thermostat set for 67 and had to turn the fans on.

Today I realized if I turn the thermostat to 60 and on cool and automatic, the fan starts to blow but on low. Clearly if you have it on auto and set it for 60, the fan should be blowing on high until it reaches the temp you have it set for.

So my question is, has anyone had any issues like that and if so, was it the air conditioner or the thermostat controller? I remember in my Newmar, when the air conditioner got low on freon, you replaced the whole unit, they don't recharge them.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

I have a older 2007 GS 350 and I had some issues with cycling between heat and cool. It turned out stink bugs shorted out the electrons on the ac units . We came close to a fire situation.
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Check your filters to see if they are clean or need cleaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome1 View Post
Joe helped me fix mine here at the rally. It was the baffle. If you remove filter and shine a torch you can see if it’s slipped. Set your temp to 70, leave for a while and then check van temp by holding the sleep button for 5 secs. When mine was set at 70 the van was 80 and the thermostat was reading 62. With the baffle slipped down cold at blows directly on the thermosister. I put mine back in place, taped it and now it’s perfect.
Bob
Thanks guys, yes, I pulled the filters and they were "moderately" dusty. Rinsed them out and they're good to go.

I did pull the filter and look and everything appears to be in it's place. Having said that, I did set the thermostat to 60 in front and rear and they read 55 and 59 respectively.

I then set the temps to 73 front and rear and they where showing they were both off by 5-6 degrees (cooler)

I talked to my tech at the dealership and he said because I had it set for 67 at night, it may have frozen the coils and just needed to warm up. I'll pay attention to it and see if it changes but it might possibly be user error.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #10

I had some loose wires on mine. Sometimes it worked fine other times it cycled hi then low real fast or the compressor would not come on. It was the wires around the box under the filter not sure witch one I redone them all.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

My Isata 3 was acting the same way and had the unit replaced under warranty.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Bob
torch, ahhh ...you dont hear that often on this side of the pond[emoji12]
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Oops......my wife keeps correcting me. Of course I meant flashlight.
The Brit keeps coming out at times!
Motorhome1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Oops......my wife keeps correcting me. Of course I meant flashlight.
The Brit keeps coming out at times!
Funny thing is it doesn't matter where you're from, the wives ALWAYS will keep correcting you.

You know why I'm so ballsy to say that... she's not on here.

Mark
Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #15

Just an update... so I took Joe's advice and looked for a loose baffle. There was a foam backed "plate" that looked like it had folded over a bit since the duct tape had apparently broke loose. Not sure if that was the problem but I straightened it up and retaped it. For the last hour, it's been cooling 4 degrees less than what I have it set for. I'll let it run the rest of the day and see what happens.

Mark
Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

What are refering to as the baffle? Im having a similar problem with the rear not getting as cold as it has. I pulled the filters on the front and rear units and everything above them looked about the same.
Thanks
Gas-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #17

Nevermind. I found the other post with more info and pictures.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas-man View Post
Nevermind. I found the other post with more info and pictures.
Did it help? Mine did, I cleaned the filters and put the baffle back where it belongs and it works perfect.

Hope you got it fixed.

Mark
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #19

Mine was in place, or close to it. I'm going to tape/seal it up while I have it apart to be certain. I can feel a little cold air on the return side.