Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

Accuracy of LED level indicators

My 2018 REV is equipped with led indicators for battery, grey, black tank, water and propane. When black tank is empty, indicator shows full, when propane indicator shows empty, the most propane that can be pumped is 7 gallons and the capacity is 12.2 gallons. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Richard L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

I am new to the camper community, but, I have heard these indicators are not accurate for very long. The sensors become corroded or dirty, or even blocked, and have to be cleaned or replaced.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

The topic of the accuracy of these indicators has been discussed since the beginning of the RV craze.

They’re pretty to look at, but don’t bet everything on their true status. Only experience and time will let you know how you’re set.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

you can trust indicators about as much as an rv sales person.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
My 2018 REV is equipped with led indicators for battery, grey, black tank, water and propane. When black tank is empty, indicator shows full, when propane indicator shows empty, the most propane that can be pumped is 7 gallons and the capacity is 12.2 gallons. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
I've owned many RV's never had an accurate gauge yet. Over time you'll learn the delta between what's in your tank and what the gauge is saying. I check mine every day, probably dump every 4 - 5 days depending on travel and usage. There are several threads on here about better more accurate tank sensors that you can use to replace yours, I may try that myself.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

For me the tank indicators are new on the RV scene........ so I don't pay any attention to them. They have never been known to be accurate.

of course our first camper only had one tank to keep track of......... one black/ grey combined waste tank.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Ditto on all the rest. Gray water indicator is my worst. As mentioned experience is the best indicator for the emptying of the tanks. The propane in my case as well as the batteries have separate readouts (from the led's) that are more accurate as well.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
When black tank is empty, indicator shows full,

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
I tend to agree with the other posts that these LED indicators are just "ballpark" indicators and that experience help determine which ballpark they're in . .
That said, the black tank indicators do get "gummed" up, leading to a false-full reading. I have had great success with Caravan RV Holding Tank cleanser in getting those black tank sensors operational again (https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Full-...rds=rv+caravan)
This stuff also eliminates "nasty black tank" smell from that time you returned from camping thinking "Oh yeah, I'll go dump the tanks tomorrow" . . . Fast forward six weeks and you've got one nasty nasty tank!!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

I have pondered the subject of more accurate tank indicators for some time. If we start a trip fully charged, loaded, emptied, etc. we won't strain the capacity of anything. For long trips, we tend to stay at full hookup sites which allows us to continue freshly loaded, so to speak. We have the capacity for long weekend trips.

Reasonably accurate sensors are quite expensive and solve a problem that I cannot convince myself that I have. You are correct if you surmise that our LED sensors are pretty worthless.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Agree with all of the above comments regarding RV gauges. They do help but are not highly accurate. One additional comment on the propane gauge. Propane tanks can only be filled to ≤ 80% of their stated capacity depending on the ambient temperature. Thus if you have a 12.2 gallon capacity propane tank that is completely empty, when you get it filled they will only put approximately 10 gallons or less into it. So your gauge may not be so far off as you think.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
As others have already mentioned, the sensors are notoriously inaccurate. However, my first time out with my TT, they showed my black tank at 2/3 after only 2 days, 2 people. When my shower backed up, I realized the gray and black tank wires were crossed. Your holding tank issue could be that simple.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I won't add to the inaccuracy posts other than to say they are... well... inaccurate. [emoji16]

I have found through the years, if I hold the button for 15-20 seconds rather than just a quick press, it is less inaccurate.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, led