Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

AH issue

At the track this weekend, very cold and rainy in the 40's. AH unit is acting weird.

Diesel burner is on heating fine, I can hear it when it ignites and shuts down. We have plenty of hot water.

Bedroom thermostat seems to work fine, we keep it at 68 at night and it maintains that temp fine. When heat exchanger comes on it blows hot air.

Problem is the living room. As long as the thermostat there is demanding heat (set at 75 and room temp is 70) the heat exchanger fan blows air, but it is cold air. It does not blow hot air unless the bedroom thermostat is also demanding heat. So when we close the bedroom door at night the heater there runs sparingly. As a result he living room will get ice cold.

It seems like each thermostat is properly controlling their respective heat exchanger, but only the bedroom thermostat controls the circulation pump.

Any ideas?
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

I hope I can help you, since mine did the same thing. It was wired backwards and piped backwards.

So here is what you have to check:
1. Thermostat in the living area we will call it zone #1.
thermostat needs to be wired to zone #1 and fans (exchangers) wired to
zone #1 fans. Important! pump #1 on the Aqua Hot needs to physically
go to the exchangers in the living area.
So: when zone #1 thermostat calls for heat: pump #1 runs and
exchangers #1 run until thermostat is satisfied.
2. Same thing applies to bedroom thermostat zone #2 exchangers#2 and
pump#2.

Mine were backwards in the pump flow (going to wrong exchangers) and in the wiring (going to wrong exchangers).

If you need to talk it thru pm me and I will give you my cell#

If it is like mine, it is kind of mind blowing, but an easy fix on the Aqua
Hot control panel
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #3

Yep, same problem. Swapp 4ed
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWVK View Post
Yep, same problem. Swapp 4ed
Tstat & fan wires, zone 1 to zone 2 on aqua hot control panel in aqua hot bay. All good now
Old 05-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

Me too.

I have added a thermostat in the wet bay and another heat duct that runs

down low in the back of the wet bay, and now have a zone #3 with two

heat ducts in the wet bay. Works pretty good so far. Used the cozy

exchanger that was under the washer/dryer.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Me too.

I have added a thermostat in the wet bay and another heat duct that runs

down low in the back of the wet bay, and now have a zone #3 with two

heat ducts in the wet bay. Works pretty good so far. Used the cozy

exchanger that was under the washer/dryer.
Nice addition, should keep it warm in the wet bay.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I hope I can help you, since mine did the same thing. It was wired backwards and piped backwards.

So here is what you have to check:
1. Thermostat in the living area we will call it zone #1.
thermostat needs to be wired to zone #1 and fans (exchangers) wired to
zone #1 fans. Important! pump #1 on the Aqua Hot needs to physically
go to the exchangers in the living area.
So: when zone #1 thermostat calls for heat: pump #1 runs and
exchangers #1 run until thermostat is satisfied.
2. Same thing applies to bedroom thermostat zone #2 exchangers#2 and
pump#2.

Mine were backwards in the pump flow (going to wrong exchangers) and in the wiring (going to wrong exchangers).

If you need to talk it thru pm me and I will give you my cell#

If it is like mine, it is kind of mind blowing, but an easy fix on the Aqua
Hot control panel
Thanks for the info, I'm sure this is what's wrong. It was dark and raining hard so I passed on trying to sort it out. We had a power hookup so we just ran the fireplace and a space heater in the living room to stay warm. Sunday was sunny and warm so I will mess with it next weekend.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Noted. We had Aqua Hot come in a while back. I ran into their local rep back at the Tampa show and was a little sideways. They had just been in to audit and signed off on everything we were doing. With the issues we have seen and how some of it was plumbed I said that there was no way they really did an audit. So I sent them all of our plans and said I wanted their engineers (not a field guy) to review all of the designs, not just the install. Then I wanted them out to do training with the engineers, sales and installers. I am not looking for a "stamp of approval" I want them to make sure that we are installing it the right way AND plumbing it the way that it makes sense (not just the way that is easiest).

THey're supposed to be out again in June for a follow upend additional training.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

I had the same issue with my Aquahot, the Zones were wired incorrectly, the Rear Zone worked fine, the Front would only come on once blowing heat, then would only blow cold air. So the wiring was corrected in the Aquahot bay. Now a I think I have a similar issue with my Air Conditioners, the rear seems to work, defining baking in the front, even while parked in the shade. Both of my A/C's will blow cold air when they start. How Manufacturers the Thermostat? I would like to trace out all of the wires while I wait for 6 weeks to get mine services
Old 05-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

Finally got home and got a chance to work on this more.

When I turn the diesel burner on you getting the proper indications on the panel, it lights, and as soon as it does the pump 2 and pump 3 LED's come on. Once the burn shuts off the pump 2/3 LEDs go off.

When I turn the bedroom thermostat on and it demands heat, it turns on the heat zone 1 LED and pump 1 LED. It blows hot air.

Turn bedroom thermostat off, turn living room thermostat on and it demands heat, it turns the heat zone 2 and pump 2 LED's on, but it only blows cold air. I confirmed if I turn the bedroom back on to demand heat, it turns on and blows hot air and the living room now blows hot air too. So, same goofiness as before.

But, the LED's indicate it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I think I read the living room was supposed to be zone 1 but that shouldn't make any difference.

I also checked the outlet hoses coming out of the top of the unit and confirmed pump 1 or pump 2 hoses were getting really hot when they were supposed to.

My best guess was that the water plumbing to the heat exchangers was goofed up. i didn't want to mess with swapping plumbing so I just swapped the power plugs from pump 1 to pump 2 and visa versa.

That did the trick. living room now gets hot even when bedroom is off and the bedroom still works fine. I did notice that both heat exchangers now blow much hotter air than before. Not sure why it was even working before the way it did but at least it works right now.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 05-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #11

I will move the living room thermostat wiring to zone 1 and bedroom to zone 2, then swap the pump wires back. Then it will be 100% correct. Sounds like this was the same issue that many others had too.