Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Air Dump

There has been some negativity lately with the new Dynamax (since Forest River bought them out). It actually makes me somewhat mad, because they make our newer units sound like junk (which they are not).

But, they are having a discussion with older Dynamax being able to dump all the air from the suspension when you park before leveling, to help drop the rear of the coach before putting the jacks down, can help keep the tires on the ground if it is way out of level. Supposedly Freightliner can add a switch that dumps the air from the bags before leveling. Most of the posters said they use auto level, which I do not feel is a good way to level a coach, I have never got it level even after multiple calibrations to the system. Manual level works the best (my opinion obviously).

What are your thoughts on this issue, it is is true, I wouldn't mind figuring this out and modifying.

Sorry for the long post, coffee kicked in early this morning.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

I am reading what you are accurately describing. I have no comment on their Dynamax statements. Regarding the air dump switch- I am very interested in a switch to dump both air tanks. In my view, it would be much easier than going underneath to pull the release valves.

Mike
2016 Force HD

Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Air dump switches can be added by a Freightliner dealer and is installed right in your dash. Usually a pretty painless and fairly priced for all the added benefits that it provides.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
GM

Just to add a little history on this item.

Yes, we used to have a manual air dump. We got rid of it, to protect the consumer from themselves. (damned if you do, damned if you don't).

Customers would dump the air. Then forget to flip the switch back. So then they would complain about ride quality and damage to the air bags. Which was all our fault of course
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

My 2011 Dynaquest XL has a dash dump switch but it dumps automatically when the jacks are put down. I do not see the need for the dash switch since it is dumping when you use the jacks so I guess they did away with it which is OK because my dash is covered in switches that I am explaining to other drivers or significant others!

David Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner chassis
Cummins 330 HP/1000 torque
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2008 Corvette - 2011 BMW 335xi - Honda Valkyrie
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #6

I'll probably do this at some point. Looked into doing it myself and didnt look too bad but glad to hear Freightliner will do it for me. Had a few spots now where this would've come in handy.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Customers would dump the air. Then forget to flip the switch back. So then they would complain about ride quality and damage to the air bags. Which was all our fault of course
That should have never happened. With most coaches with a dump valve installed, a low air buzzer would sound alerting the driver until bags/suspension reached proper inflation.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

I for one would like the dump switch just haven't gotten around to getting an estimate.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

I too will add this after my last trip. DX3 with a 24' enclosed trailer was just a bit long for my campsite. The crown of the site landed about where my rear tires were. Being able to drop the rear 5" or so would have kept my fronts on the ground during an autolevel. I haven't had any issues with the autolevel but haven't used it much. Coach worked great on our 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer to northeast Iowa. Lost a couple of the little screws in the blind valences and the little cover over the entry door started rattling in a 20+mph cross wind. Since it was held on my doublesided tape, I just ripped it off and will reinstall when I get a chance.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

Let us know about install of dump valve please.. as far as leveling I only use manual. Haven't even tried auto.