Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Another Dynamax Horror Story

We were camping last weekend and it was pretty windy but thanks to the crappy Dynamax product....my rv broke.

So someone was coming out and the wind caught the door and the shock that keeps the door open broke...what gives Dynamax!?!?

How could you guys knowingly use a part that would fail under 40 MPH winds. Totally unacceptable. This is all your fault.

I find it ridiculous that my coach can't hold up to winds like that without a part failing. I'd like to start a warranty claim and expect to be reimbursed for mental anguish and also expect you to fly someone down from the factory to replace it.

Or I guess we can settle for y'all selling me two shocks so I have a spare...

Any chance I can get a part number and a parts dept contact to order from?

And yes...that was a very sarcastic post
Ryan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

uh, speechless.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

What was the wind speed? I hold onto my door as there is no device other than just the hinges. Was it a gust of wind?

I would like hear how this turns out.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

It was probably about 20 sustained that day. A buddy was coming out and as soon as he opened the door, the wind caught. The shock slowed it down but it was enough to break the end of the shock. The ends are just made of plastic. Kind of a good/bad thing because it's the weakest link and you don't have to worry about anything else bending or breaking but when it breaks the door will slam the window. Luckily the shock was the only thing that broke so it's all good.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

I was kidding about it being a Dynamax problem...it would've happened to any door on any coach. The circumstances were just too perfect that day.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #7

I am thinking my screen doors on the house might get a little jacked in those conditions.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

O my this also just happened to me! BUT my door has NO shock. Wind came up as I opened door and blew it into the side view camera leaving me with a hole in the door and broken side view camera housing. Was planning to inform Dynamax Monday as this HAS to be addressed and FIXED! I cannot understand no prevention measure being thought out. There are No Stops or Shocks on my door. Hopefully we as well as you can get this issue resolved!
J nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

All sounds normal to me...it's just part of the journey!!!
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

If mine came without one, I'd definitely add it. I'm buying two because I'm sure it will happen again at some point along the way
Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #11

I personally saw a 25 knot wind catch an airplane door and slam it into the fuselage. For what it cost to do the repair one could have bought a new DX3 and a Tesla toad. And, the support rod that was supposed to prevent that costs about $8,000. Sometimes stuff just happens.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
We were camping last weekend and it was pretty windy but thanks to the crappy Dynamax product....my rv broke.

How could you guys knowingly use a part that would fail under 40 MPH winds. Totally unacceptable. This is all your fault.

lol. That pretty much sums up my Friday interactions (but without the sarcasm). To be fair at least one or two people were pretty understanding.

Not sure which night show it is where they read mean tweets about themselves...but maybe I'll start a thread with mean emails I get. Some of it gets pretty ridiculous.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol. That pretty much sums up my Friday interactions (but without the sarcasm). To be fair at least one or two people were pretty understanding.

Not sure which night show it is where they read mean tweets about themselves...but maybe I'll start a thread with mean emails I get. Some of it gets pretty ridiculous.
That would be Bret Breir on Fox News. He gets a kick out of it...He is on at 6 PM Monday thru Friday EST
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #14

No soup for you!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

Same thing happened to the door on my 2017 FR3-30DS.. if the piston itself was not damaged, the ends are replaceable.. I think I ordered 3 of them on-line for less than $10.. now I have spares !
BILL49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

sarcasm

Quote:

So someone was coming out and the wind caught the door and the shock that keeps the door open broke...what gives Dynamax!?!?

I find it ridiculous that my coach can't hold up to winds like that without a part failing. I'd like to start a warranty claim and expect to be reimbursed for mental anguish and also expect you to fly someone down from the factory to replace it.

I like sarcasm,one of my favorite modes of conversation !!!!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #17

It would have been fun to see the expression on bclemens face as he was reading the post and before he realized it was sarcasm.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:

Happened to me last year on the PA Turnpike. I was already pissed because of the idiots at the plaza couldn't figure out how to get their credit card machine to work so I could get fuel.

But I quickly found the replacement part. Yes I knew it was windy, and I was tired. So it should have been prevented by me holding the door. Looking at it all, I think that the only thing that could be improved upon is a rubber bumper to shield the door from smashing into the side of the RV for when this happens.

In my opinion the strut is a fuse. The fuse did what it was supposed to. It broke the plastic end of the strut instead of ripping the ball bolt our of the floor or the door. Easy fix though. Went to Future Sales and got a new one in three days.

Strut - Entry Door (125719-R) 125719-R 1 $19.95 $19.95
Sub-Total: $19.95
UPS Ground: $14.89
Total: $34.84

Here is the LINK>
https://www.shoprv.parts//online/ind...earch=125719-R
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #19

The problem of a stiff wind blowing the door open as one exits, breaking the strut and slamming the door against the side view camera appears to be a fairly common problem that is looking for a solution.

Traveling across the Northern Plain states on I-90 or I-94, stiff, steady breezes are common. It's tough to avoid a problem with the door, between not expecting such a strong wind and a wind so strong the wife cannot hold onto the door.

A very heavy duty strut is required.

Alternatively, I have seen storm doors on houses as well as doors on motorhomes, a chain with shock absorber which is connected to the top of the door and door frame to limit door travel. For a Dynamax, to mount such a chain, a hole would be required in the screen door to allow the chain to pass through to the door. So far I have been reluctant to do that. But I know there will be situations where I, or especially my wife, will be caught unexpectedly and unable to prevent the door from blowing open, breaking the strut and denting the door on the side-view camera.

Another option, which my prior motorhome used, was to place a stop and latching mechanism on the outside wall of the motorhome. The door can simply be opened or, alternatively, opened and latched to hold it open. The latch would be mounted so as to prevent the door from hitting the camera. In this situation, the strut would be eliminated.

Has anyone found a good solution?

Gerard
2016 DX3
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #20

"Has anyone found a good solution?"

a) when it is windy outside, keep your hand on the door handle and hold onto the door if you go out. Move slowly and pay attention. Then shut the door - don't leave it open.

b) Or use another door if you have one

c) Or stay inside.

d) Or stay in one place and build a porch around the door.

e) Accept you own an RV. Pretend like it isn't a stick and brick house. Start weaning yourself off being dependent on a warranty and start fixing things yourself. And have fun!

e2) Carry a tool kit. It may be unpalatable because it reduces ones joy of being able to post a B&M.

f) put bclemens in a bottle, rub the bottle, and see if he pops out so he can fix it for you.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote