Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #1

Anyone using Tyron straps in their wheels?

All,
My dealer has made me aware of the Tyron safety straps that mount on the rims to keep the tires from coming off in the event of a blowout. This serves to help keep control of the vehicle and keep the tire from coming apart and causing damage to the rig and to the wheel.

From my research on the product it seems they work perfectly and add a great deal of safety while driving.

I'm planning to have them installed only on the front tires since the rear has a set of four so one blow out will not likely cause an unsafe situation.

Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBee View Post
All,
My dealer has made me aware of the Tyron safety straps that mount on the rims to keep the tires from coming off in the event of a blowout. This serves to help keep control of the vehicle and keep the tire from coming apart and causing damage to the rig and to the wheel.

From my research on the product it seems they work perfectly and add a great deal of safety while driving.

I'm planning to have them installed only on the front tires since the rear has a set of four so one blow out will not likely cause an unsafe situation.

Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I had them installed on my first class A, they are very pricey. I also had issues getting my front wheels to balance properly with them installed so there was always a little steering wheel shake. I had them removed for that reason.

They are supposed to help but only if you have a front tire disintegrate all at once, they make no difference on a slow leak. And, it takes a special tool and knowledge to dismount a tire with Tyron's installed. So if you need a tire changed on the road it may be a challenge to find someone who can do it.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

So has anyone ever had a blowout while at highway speed on any tires? I’d be interested to know how things went with regard to vehicle control, tire staying on the rim, coach or wheel damage.

Thanks
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

I installed a Safe-T-Steer, if you look at their website it shows multiple videos where it helps with blowouts on the steering wheels. It also helps keep the wheel centered on the highway. The installation is pretty simple, the adjustment part takes the longest. Some people found a shop to install and adjust. They are made in Georgia, but that is a drive for California people. lol.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
I can chime in here. We had Tyron bands on our class A. On our way to Florida on I95 doing about 65mph and my FIRST TIME driving after about 45min passenger front tire blows, sounds like a gunshot. Now I had recently taken the drivers course at Lazy days, they said in case of blow-out gently accelerate to maintain control cause the coach may swing side to side, then ease down. Well, I immediately eased my foot of the gas and guided the coach to the side of the road. What I felt most was a severe vibration like my teeth were chattering so hard they might crack. Once stopped I broke into tears and never drove it again

However, the bands totally did their job. The tire never came off the rim, there was no damage to rim or side of coach. After removed there was a hole in the sidewall.

So for us, they work
Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

I had an inner rear tire blowout at 70 mph. A very loud boom. The rig was a little unstable but we made it to the shoulder. The valve core in the outer wheel had a slow leak which caused the inner tire to become overloaded and it blew. Unfortunately, I had purchased the coach only a couple of weeks before the incident (used) and had planned to replace all 6 tires. I just had to take one 1500 mile round trip, then was going to have them all replaced. I ended up 400 miles short. The replacement tire from the roadside service cost me $700 (tire and service). The damage to the cargo bay from the tire, and to the baggage doors from the guardrail was a $10k insurance claim. I drove 400 miles home and had all six replaced.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #7

Wow, these are great real world examples. It seems the Tyron straps would be a good insurance policy in the event of a blow out (at least on the steer wheels) although damage to the coach from a rear blow out is clearly possible.

To me a the cost is small price to pay to have peace of mind on what are critical items on the coach that, should they fail, you want to mitigate any damage while also safely getting out of the road.

My logic on this is if a blow out occurs, you want to be able to maintain control, get out of traffic and on to a safe place to manage the next stage, which will take awhile to sort out.

I'll be installing them on my coach. We are going to be living in it so it's a small price to pay for the safety and insurance they provide. I had run flats on my BMW to reduce the probability of calamity for exactly the same reason.

Thanks for all your great inputs.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Bellabee looking back I agree what RV Randy said. It may be tough to get someone who knows how to deal with the bands if god forbid you ever needed them. The guy that changed our tire had a helluva time getting the tire off, actually told us if we knew there were tyrons on he might not have come Didn't seem like he had the right equipment, used a crow bar
Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Bellabee looking back I agree what RV Randy said. It may be tough to get someone who knows how to deal with the bands if god forbid you ever needed them. The guy that changed our tire had a helluva time getting the tire off, actually told us if we knew there were tyrons on he might not have come Didn't seem like he had the right equipment, used a crow bar
Guys, I'm not trying to talk you out of them, only to help you make an informed decision. Go check on some of the other RV forums too. I did and most of them shy away from the Tyron's and suggest you have a good quality TPMS system and possibly a Saf-T-steer steering stabilizer installed.

If you decide to buy them, I do suggest you buy them from someone other than the dealership. This is one of the items dealers mark up a ton and then pay a tire shop to install. They always pitch this stuff to you at time of sale, like clear bra and upholstery protection because it only adds a little to the loan most folks get. They make a lot of money off of these add-ons. You can get the same exact stuff else where but way cheaper.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #10

If you watch the YouTube videos on installing them it’s very simple. Only two fasteners with a specific torque. The only items to know is the proper orientation and ensuring equal gap on both sides. Nothing tricky or complicated. A competent tire service tech should have no issues. In my case I never let anyone work on my stuff unless I get good answer to how they will do the work. Any doubts and I say no thanks. I’m an extremely detail oriented person and know what is required to service any of my rigs. I mostly do my own work unless I don’t have the proper tools or equipment to complete it right. I will be paying a reasonable price for both the product and installation service or I won’t authorize it and find another service or do it myself. Thanks for the inputs. Much appreciated.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Team

There is a similar discussion going on about this over in the Berkshire subforum:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-179163.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #12

I had them on my 5th wheel. Fortunately we never had a situation where they were tested. I did have a hard time finding tire shops that would work on them and keeping them balanced was difficult.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #13

What is the best TPMS out there?
37ForceHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ForceHD View Post
What is the best TPMS out there?
CONTINENTAL PRESSURE CHECK

https://www.continental-truck.com/tr...ipressurecheck
JAKEMON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags