Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #41

Open neutral?
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes...that's the point. If he's reading voltage, then there could be an incoming power issue.
There is an internal trailer wiring issue. He has 120 volts on the buss bar of the panel or he would not have 120 volts output on the breaker. If the breaker is off there will be no voltage on the output side. I dought three breakers went bad unless the rig has been hit by some inruse of unwanted voltage. Now, mind you, we have to assume he knows what he's doing, But I think he does,

Time to call an electrician.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Now, mind you, we have to assume he knows what he's doing,
Well...there are two hats and a 1970's polo riding on this. He never shut off the GFI breaker to see if that cut power to the AH...so the whole process is suspect now.

I used to know a line electrician that had shaky hands. He'd point and be like "just hook that wire to that wire and this wire to this wire" of course in the process of shaking he just pointed to about 46 wires. Not sure how he ever stayed alive.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #44
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Well...there are two hats and a 1970's polo riding on this. He never shut off the GFI breaker to see if that cut power to the AH...so the whole process is suspect now.

I used to know a line electrician that had shaky hands. He'd point and be like "just hook that wire to that wire and this wire to this wire" of course in the process of shaking he just pointed to about 46 wires. Not sure how he ever stayed alive.
Was his shaking in sinc with 60 Hz, if so maybe he got touched by a higher power.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #45

Great minds think alike. I started doing some more in-depth testing.

1-The AH breaker, now that I switched it to match the labeling, does in fact turn the electric element on/off, but I was still seeing screwy voltage readings at the AH terminal strip (same screwy readings at bedroom breaker panel.

2-With shore power plugged in and using the AH breaker:
ON OFF
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 82.2v
L1 to G = 0 L1 to G = 20v
N to G = 120v N to G = 120v
(this DOES NOT look right)

3-Then I unplugged shore power and started the generator since it should be a known good source of properly wired power, using the AH breaker:

ON OFF
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 13.7v
L1 to G = 120v L1 to G = 13.7v
N to G = 0v N to G = 0v
(this is what I would expect to see except the 13.7v, probably a grd loop)

This to me indicated something amiss with the shore power.

I tested my 30a RV wall outlet and it tested as it should as shown for the TT-30R outlet on the included wiring diagram.

Did the same test on the other end of the 30a shoreline cord with it plugged into the outlet, tested correctly.

Then I plugged the 30a to 50a adapter required to plug the DX3's 50a shoreline, onto the 30a shoreline. Here is how it tested:

What it is What is should be
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 120v
L2 to N = 120v L2 to N = 120v
L1 to L2 = 0v L1 to L2 = 0v
L1 to G = 0v L1 to G = 120v
L2 to G = 0v L2 to G = 120v
G to N = 120v G to N = 0V

So, it turns out the 30a to 50a plug adapter (brand new) was defective. When it was made they simply swapped the L1 and Neutral wires. That is so stupid you have to laugh because crying doesn't do any good. I cut the adapter cable apart and spliced it back together with butt splices for temporary use, went inside and tested the breaker panel and now everything is good!

Now we can focus back on getting the wiring and conduit for the AG wrapped up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	163106  

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #46

I have a T shirt that says "Nothings Easy".

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #47

Quote:
There is an internal trailer wiring issue. He has 120 volts on the buss bar of the panel or he would not have 120 volts output on the breaker. If the breaker is off there will be no voltage on the output side. I dought three breakers went bad unless the rig has been hit by some inruse of unwanted voltage. Now, mind you, we have to assume he knows what he's doing, But I think he does,

Time to call an electrician.
Yee of little faith....read on grasshoppa........

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
I have a T shirt that says "Nothings Easy".

I want one that says "Come at me Bro".

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #49

Randy - - Absolutely outstanding!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #50

Who was the vendor for 30/50 amp adapter? They are selling a simple product that can costs folks thousands of $$ in damage to an RV/components. Folks should know.

IRT AH. Is Dynamax taking steps to do a safety recall on units already delivered? Unterminated electrical wires can cause a fire or worst get somebody seriously hurt. How does Dynamax communicate these type of safety issues they are made aware of with their customers? Email, phone, letter?
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Randy - - Absolutely outstanding!
Dag nabit. I was on the phone tonight after a swim meeting with the EE. He suggested that it was likely a bent tab on the female 50A shore cord. Then I thought if you run the gen the would immediately tell us if that was the case. I didn’t even get to look smart. He suggested to use a 30A adaptor because that would also tell you (if it was right)

Plus that 30A to 50A adapter was left out of the equation from the start. So we were at a disadvantage.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #52

RV Randy,WOW, what a troubleshooting job, well done. I agree that having a 12 volt & 110 volt wiring diagram would be really helpful when trying to trace down wires. Hopefully Brian will get the pdf files on line, I know he is trying.
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Dag nabit. I was on the phone tonight after a swim meeting with the EE. He suggested that it was likely a bent tab on the female 50A shore cord. Then I thought if you run the gen the would immediately tell us if that was the case. I didn’t even get to look smart. He suggested to use a 30A adaptor because that would also tell you (if it was right)

Plus that 30A to 50A adapter was left out of the equation from the start. So we were at a disadvantage.
There ya go. That is the #1 problem with these types of forums. You never get all the info for a decent diagnostics. I sure hope WMTIRE is following this. Me and him got sideways on those adaptors just a few days ago. I fell somewhat vindicated. Glad the problem got solved.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
There ya go. That is the #1 problem with these types of forums. You never get all the info for a decent diagnostics. I sure hope WMTIRE is following this. Me and him got sideways on those adaptors just a few days ago. I fell somewhat vindicated. Glad the problem got solved.
I'm reading this but not sure what you may mean by we "got sideways". If you are talking about the thread where you stated they didn't make a certain adapter (which allows a 30 amp RV to be plugged into a 50 amp outlet), and then I showed you they did in fact make it.... then I'm absolutely confused by your comment. The adapter being used by the OP in this current thread, isn't even the same type you stated we may have gotten sideways on. (The OP is using an adapter to plug a 50 amp RV into a 30 amp outlet)

It was nothing we certainly got sideways in my opinion, and you even admitted you learned about it.

You may want to PM me as to not hijack this thread.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post
IRT AH. Is Dynamax taking steps to do a safety recall on units already delivered? Unterminated electrical wires can cause a fire or worst get somebody seriously hurt. How does Dynamax communicate these type of safety issues they are made aware of with their customers? Email, phone, letter?
Well, thanks for asking. We do have a process and I am always excited to talk about it.

1. We have at minimum a monthly GM report that goes to our office of corporate compliance. On the report, we list any trends in claims, damage, safety issues etc that can come up in ANY number of data collecting methods. Including reports from NHTSA, service calls, forums, phone calls, emails, etc. But, we do not have to wait for the report, we can report anything at any time if we deem it necessary.

2. When something is reported, the OCC begins an investigation into the issue to determine the best course of action. Whether that be to monitor, TSB, recall or whatever. We don't have forever, we have a matter of days to figure out what is required.

3. Weekly, the OCC committee meets to discuss the items that were reported. Just finished one up about 5 minutes ago. That committee is made up several key members of the company including the head of engineering, corporate compliance, service and General Managers. They then vote on actions.

A perfect example of that, is right here on this forum. A member posted something about an exhaust pipe. I happened to read the post, the customer didn't even report it...they were just mad that they had mentioned something to the dealer about it and the dealer said "oh, they're all like that". I reported that to the OCC and we were "notification to recall" in less than a week.

So its not so much that we have a way to communicate these things...the government sort of mandates the way we report this things. It's not exciting to have an issue, but it is exciting to see the system work the way its supposed to.

This has also already been reported and investigation is under way.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #56

Wow...that’s good stuff.

You guys really have it together.
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #57

I gotta say government requirement or not you all seem to have a very sound process to get things right. And frankly your hands on leadership is most impressive. I agree with some others on this forum, I don't understand how you have the time to do all this (great time manager maybe?), but the fact that you do is certainly one of the reasons that Dynamax has a great product and that customers have to wait 6 months to get one. Keep up the great work!
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Wow...that’s good stuff.

You guys really have it together.
No, not really. But we're trying. I still scratch my head sometimes and wonder how we can catch it all.

And thanks Casey.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Great minds think alike. I started doing some more in-depth testing.

1-The AH breaker, now that I switched it to match the labeling, does in fact turn the electric element on/off, but I was still seeing screwy voltage readings at the AH terminal strip (same screwy readings at bedroom breaker panel.

2-With shore power plugged in and using the AH breaker:
ON OFF
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 82.2v
L1 to G = 0 L1 to G = 20v
N to G = 120v N to G = 120v
(this DOES NOT look right)

3-Then I unplugged shore power and started the generator since it should be a known good source of properly wired power, using the AH breaker:

ON OFF
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 13.7v
L1 to G = 120v L1 to G = 13.7v
N to G = 0v N to G = 0v
(this is what I would expect to see except the 13.7v, probably a grd loop)

This to me indicated something amiss with the shore power.

I tested my 30a RV wall outlet and it tested as it should as shown for the TT-30R outlet on the included wiring diagram.

Did the same test on the other end of the 30a shoreline cord with it plugged into the outlet, tested correctly.

Then I plugged the 30a to 50a adapter required to plug the DX3's 50a shoreline, onto the 30a shoreline. Here is how it tested:

What it is What is should be
L1 to N = 120v L1 to N = 120v
L2 to N = 120v L2 to N = 120v
L1 to L2 = 0v L1 to L2 = 0v
L1 to G = 0v L1 to G = 120v
L2 to G = 0v L2 to G = 120v
G to N = 120v G to N = 0V

So, it turns out the 30a to 50a plug adapter (brand new) was defective. When it was made they simply swapped the L1 and Neutral wires. That is so stupid you have to laugh because crying doesn't do any good. I cut the adapter cable apart and spliced it back together with butt splices for temporary use, went inside and tested the breaker panel and now everything is good!

Now we can focus back on getting the wiring and conduit for the AG wrapped up!
Now the bigger question. How many more are out there?? I think a recall may be in order.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post
Who was the vendor for 30/50 amp adapter? They are selling a simple product that can costs folks thousands of $$ in damage to an RV/components. Folks should know.

Not sure a recall is appropriate. I'm sure Dynamax has already taken steps in their QC process to determine what happened on the assembly line to prevent similar issues. And, keep in mind the dealers that are getting paid to PDI these vehicles should have caught it too.

The more visible, time consuming issue turned out to be the defective adapter which was not Dynamax's issue. But they stayed engaged and worked with me to get it sorted out.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"

Tags
electric, heating