Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

Are these Equalizer Leveling Jacks fully retracted?

We hear a popping thud noise every once in a while during turns, sounded like it was coming from the rear axle area, but then noticed it seemed to only happen when the turn included a level change and could be the sound of something hitting/scraping...

For anyone else that has the Equalizer 4 Point Hydraulic Leveling Jacks, are these what yours look like after using the "All Retract" button and/or do they scrape every once in a while?

This picture is the rear of our Isata 3 (SFW ) and for perspective, the drain tube hangs just about an inch lower than the jack feet, which are both just a couple inches above the cement parking block shown:

I haven't been able to catch it happening visually yet, but with as close as they come in the tests we have tried, it seems these rear ones are catching the pavement in certain areas...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Yes they are
Devenhallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #3

You might examine the mount points. Most jacks (the complete unit) can be adjusted if there are multiple mounting holes. You might be able to move it up a notch or two.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
hhl

Popping thud sound is most likely your Hellwig sway control. Your levelers look okay. Mine never scraped, 2018 with 13000 miles.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhl View Post
Popping thud sound is most likely your Hellwig sway control. Your levelers look okay. Mine never scraped, 2018 with 13000 miles.
Thanks, so would that indicate a problem with the Hellwig sway control or just a normal noise to get used to? Also, would it make sense that it would happen only on turns where there is an incline/bump like a parking lot entrance?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

If you are actually dragging your footpads, you should see evidence on the footpad itself. Might have to use a mirror to see the bottom, depending on your agility
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
hhl

On my 3 FW mounting bushings were lubed on anti swaybar and mounting bolts were torqued to 80.
Not as loud now but you still can hear it. Yes on turns incline/bumps.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

paint it

put some paint or tape on the foot and see if it is marked up when you get to your next destination. But, I would suspect the sway control also.
Jeff
jjfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfishing View Post
put some paint or tape on the foot and see if it is marked up when you get to your next destination. But, I would suspect the sway control also.
Jeff
I was starting to lean that way too after seeing some of the old threads about the sway thud/clunk issue that appeared to be corrected years ago though...

Still a possibility but after making a right turn into a slightly raised Tractor Supply parking lot, heard a distinct pop on back right and then back left soon after which really seemed like the leveling feet based on our position.

Just got these pictures from the bottom of the two rear leveling feet, didn't even think to get pics of the front two while I was under there, but I will do that later just to compare:

Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

I just measured mine. 6 5/8 inches clearance to the ground. Also, mine are mounted a bit forward of yours, maybe 6 inches to align with the center of the spare tire. Tanks are empty and no cargo inside.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Retired Old Fart

If you are not positive the pads are scraping regularly and it was not just a random parking lot thing, hit the pads with some paint to cover the existing scrape marks and check it again after the next trip. If it happens again, it's not random and is scraping often enough to be a problem. If the paint is still good when check, just check it every so often for new scraping marks.

Also you don't really want to leave that steel exposed anyway as it will start to rust if you do. So paint is a good idea even if it was a random event.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
Commercial Member

95% of the popping noises are the Helwig sway bar. Having them re-torqued to the proper spec takes car of it 90% of the time...

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
95% of the popping noises are the Helwig sway bar. Having them re-torqued to the proper spec takes car of it 90% of the time...
I had mine re-torqued and they are still noisy. Do you recommend lubricating them as mentioned above? Thanks.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Commercial Member

The other issue I think I posted was a space might be needed if the receiver is too wide. I'll have to track down that...ok, nevermind. I guess I had the installation saved.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 135007254 Installation.pdf (1.21 MB, 52 views)

Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #15

Quote:
The other issue I think I posted was a space might be needed if the receiver is too wide. I'll have to track down that...ok, nevermind. I guess I had the installation saved.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
Commercial Member

The “end link” bolts are at the ends of the bar. The U-plate bolts mount the U-plate that goes over the D bushings. But I’m not sure it matters which is which as it says to tighten them all to 75 ft lbs. so thats everything you’re pointing at. End link bolt (1) u-plate bolts (2). So (3) each side. Total of (6)

Old 05-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
The “end link” bolts are at the ends of the bar. The U-plate bolts mount the U-plate that goes over the D bushings. But I’m not sure it matters which is which as it says to tighten them all to 75 ft lbs. so thats everything you’re pointing at. End link bolt (1) u-plate bolts (2). So (3) each side. Total of (6)
Perfect, thanks, and for one more dumb question because clearly there ARE dumb questions after I realized how obvious the answer to my last one was

Where can I find the recommended torque specs for my standard Isata 3 wheels so I can make sure the torque wrench I order from Amazon can handle those too? Hopefully that's not as controversial a topic as tire psi...
Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

Most tire shops would be able to give you that info. I did a quick google search and found 140 ft lbs for 2010-2016 sprinter 3500, so I think that would get you in the ball park for torque wrench buying purposes.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
Most tire shops would be able to give you that info. I did a quick google search and found 140 ft lbs for 2010-2016 sprinter 3500, so I think that would get you in the ball park for torque wrench buying purposes.
Thanks and yes I had come across some of those estimates, just thought it was based on the exact wheel manufacturer and couldn't find who that was on mine to see if they had a chart, but sounds like the torque wrench I ordered can at least get me in the ballpark either way:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Torque.../dp/B00C5ZL0RU

Will update when it gets here and I'm able to check/tighten my sway bar...

Tags
equalizer, jacks, leveling