Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Arlo Cameras for RV security review

I was looking for a security system for the RV that also incorporated cameras. In addition to verifying the validity of an intrusion, I also wanted to be able to check on the dog when she is left in the coach. I purchased the Arlo system. They offer the Pro2 system, but for RV security it's not needed. I purchased the one camera system. All of the Arlo cameras are weatherproof and totally wireless. They are powered by a rechargeable battery with a 3 to 6 month battery life based on the number of alarms etc, perfect for an RV. It comes with a nice magnetic mount which allows for infinite adjustments. Set up is easy and no subscription is necessary. You will need Wi-Fi. We already had a hotspot for the laptops and Ipads so it just attaches to it and uses the shared data. Arlo only uses data when you have an alarm or you view the live camera. The camera can be triggered by motion or sound or both. You can receive an alert via phone notification, email, text or all three. The phone notification is the fastest with a one to two second delay once the alarm is triggered. The camera will then begin recoding to the cloud. It has a built in siren (which is scary loud even inside of the cabinet) with the option for auto trigger or you can manually activate it. You can arm and disarm from your smartphone. The system also has two way audio so you can yell at the dog or the thief in your RV. You can add as many cameras as you would like. I may add one on the exterior. I have tested the system several times and so far I am very pleased. The system was $252.00 from Best Buy. Additional cameras are $149.00. It also works with Samsung smart devices like door sensors, smoke alarms etc. It is the perfect system for store and restaurant parking lots.

Here is the magnetic wall mount. I just used some 3M double sided tape to mount it.

Camera mounted up.

I mounted the system above the door in the small cabinet. The hotspot is mounted to the left.

Here is a live view of the RV in storage.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sweet!

I'm a firm believer in using the technology available now days. Nice setup!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
OYO

We use this system at our summer home. Works great.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Nice setup and nice review; thanks for taking the time to post it.

Any chance this setup has the ability to tie into the coach batteries...either for its own power or simply with a sensor? Being able to remotely check the voltage and get an alarm on low voltage would be a nice addition.
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post

Any chance this setup has the ability to tie into the coach batteries...either for its own power or simply with a sensor? Being able to remotely check the voltage and get an alarm on low voltage would be a nice addition.
The AC adapter is 12 Volt, but it has to have internet to function.

It will interface with Alexa and more importantly IFTTT which interfaces with all kinds of stuff. So you could probably set up something with a battery monitor.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the pics and for the review
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

Nice review, thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Team

There are three versions of the Arlo camera. The one reviewed here appears to be the Pro ( mid range). They are very convenient and easy to set up if you have internet and do offer security that works for an RV. They are a little slow to start recording so some initial activity may be missed. You will also need 120VAC to power the base. As for the battery level monitoring, is should be able to be accomplished with a small micro-controller and ADC, assuming you have internet and WiFi.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post

Look at the Samsung smart devices. They are compatible.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 02-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
There are three versions of the Arlo camera. The one reviewed here appears to be the Pro ( mid range). They are very convenient and easy to set up if you have internet and do offer security that works for an RV. They are a little slow to start recording so some initial activity may be missed. You will also need 120VAC to power the base. As for the battery level monitoring, is should be able to be accomplished with a small micro-controller and ADC, assuming you have internet and WiFi.

The camera reviewed was just the Arlo , not the pro2. The pro2 has some added features but the camera needs to be hardwired. ( pre motion recording and constant recording) You can mix standard and pro2 cameras on the same base unit. The pro 2 will allow masking to block out areas for motion detection.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

We have used the Arlo camera system in our homes in AZ & WA for several years. Email notification is great when motion is detected & uses WIFI. Access apps for pc or smartphone. Video of motion detection is stored online. We use the Basic plan which is free & no wires! Easy install & reliable.

We also installed the Ring Doorbell. I can answer the doorbell from AZ at WA home from Smartphone or pc app. Cost is $30 yr plan. Security cameras are available with Ring also.
paulab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #12

I got the Arlo system for my home for Christmas. It was easy to install and easy to operate. I want to add a few more cameras and Amazon has the refurbished Arlo for $84.99 and the Arlo Pro for $149.99. I want the pro for the front door so that I can yell if needed.
glb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #13

ARLO Camera and WiFi

I was curious as to how you powered the system when in storage. Do you have an inverter running off your battery? I’ve been considering doing something like this but am concerned about draining the trailer battery in short order.

I like you setup.
MadDog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Thank You. You confused me as the Arlo ( not pro) does not come with rechargeable batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
The camera reviewed was just the Arlo , not the pro2. The pro2 has some added features but the camera needs to be hardwired. ( pre motion recording and constant recording) You can mix standard and pro2 cameras on the same base unit. The pro 2 will allow masking to block out areas for motion detection.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #15

Nice idea.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog2020 View Post
I was curious as to how you powered the system when in storage. Do you have an inverter running off your battery? I’ve been considering doing something like this but am concerned about draining the trailer battery in short order.

I like you setup.
My unit is stored indoors plugged into 115v AC so the batteries are being charged and the unit has 115v AC supplied to the outlets. I drop the inverter draw to a max of 15 amps as not to trip the breaker

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #17

What hot spots are you finding that work well with these systems
Could not tell what you are using from the picture
Phoenixscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #18

I am using the AT&T nighthawk from Netgear.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 02-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #19
Team Watts

Send a message via AIM to TeamWatts
I use Arlo (standard) and Ring at my house. have been working on ideas for external security system on the DX3 Internal is easy with they setup you have shown here. Yes, the wifi must be set up to receive and send files and alerts. I am hoping to get a company my wife's company is a distributor for to look into adapting their system (Hyndsight Vision) to assist. Right now, it is a system for towing vehicles, trailers, monitoring inside horse trailers, stalls, back of boats, row boats etc.
Chuck, Army (Ret) & Patricia, Barber
TeamWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #20
Team Watts

Send a message via AIM to TeamWatts
Does not come with rechargeable batteries but I purchased rechargeable ones for my cameras. great investment.
Chuck, Army (Ret) & Patricia, Barber
TeamWatts is offline   Reply With Quote