Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #21

replacing Attwood with Truma

I have an Isata 5 with this hot water heater. Yes, it works, if one is on full hookups and has no concern for water usage or waste tank capacity. I have been using the bathroom sink on low flow hot when taking a shower. It works but fills up both tanks. (I believe the bathroom sink drains to the black tank) Also, when doing dishes it requires full hot continuously which of course empties the fresh water and fills the grey tank. I have an appointment with a Truma dealer in Wisconsin to replace my Atwood on June 24th. He is asking what are the correct model/part numbers for this change.

Can somebody give me those part numbers to facilitate this change?

I guess I will just paint the door black. Sad as the paint job is terrific but it has been six months of hot water misery and can not continue.

It will be great to rid of this millstone. The rest of the experience has been great.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #22

Our River Stone Legacy came with the Girard II on demand and it has been great for us both hooked up and running off the fresh tank
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #23

Davinthekeys, anxious to hear how the conversion goes. If you are happy with the place that installs it, please share their name.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #24

La Mesa in Sanford FL. Amazing service on our Charleston, the changeover to Truma was completed on time and within agreed upon price. Service writer (Dallas) kept us informed and insured we were back on the road quickly.

2015 Forest River Charleston 430 RB
2017 GMC 1500 Denali

Harley2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #25

Does anyone know the model number for the Truma heater and if it's a direct swap for the Attwood? Will the Attwood cover work on the Truma so the paint scheme is maintained?
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Truma is "sort of" a direct replacement for the Atwood. I think we shim each side 3/4" for a tighter fit. We use the AquaGo Comfort. #78101-01 Door is
77001-01. (at least in production...not sure if that is the old or new door)

The old door is a wider flange and when we have done a replacement we use this door. You can get the door black or white...we always use black and if there is a teeny bit of non-paint exposed, once you end up sealing the door it covers. I was going to have my service tech take pictures of the next one he does so we have some general instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Door.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	144301  
Attached Images

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #27

Thanks Brian. Would appreciate pictures and instructions for the Isata 5 Attwood to Truma conversion.
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #28

Brian, I am also interested in changing out my Atwood for a Truma. Is it the same for a 2016 Isata 3? Any information would be greatly appreciated I too am pretty fed up with the Atwood and will do whatever it takes to change it out.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #29

Truma ! Truma! Truma! Truma!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 AM   #30

In theory the concept for the Atwood is great , it "should " save propane when dry camping.

Is there no factory system to adjust the minimum water flow to keep the unit operating? Which seems to be the usual problem.

For many campers that chose full hookup campgrounds the units that use power pole electric make more sense.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #31
Commercial Member

The issue is pre-recall the Atwood needed a 0.5gpm flow rater. Post recall, they over compensated in my opinion and that is more like 1.5gpm.

The Truma is about 0.5gpm but has a mixing tank to accomplish this. They have tested down to 0.25, but only guaranty 0.5. They do make a "retro kit" that has the widest flange which will cover the Atwood door and you can get it in white or black. The Truma is about 3 times the cost of the Awood and I think over $1000 to have installed at a dealer.

The other option you might want to consider is the Girard. The 3rd version is out and that one is tested to 0.8gpm. Same price as the Atwood and they also make a retro kit door in white or black. They were by the other day as we were looking at their awnings. We might test one out here on a customer coach who is replacing their Atwood. I'll let you know how that one works out.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Brian, I am also interested in changing out my Atwood for a Truma. Is it the same for a 2016 Isata 3? Any information would be greatly appreciated I too am pretty fed up with the Atwood and will do whatever it takes to change it out.
Yes...if you see my post above, it should be the same for any model year.

As a side note, I have seen Atwood offer to change out to a 6 gallon tank under warranty. We have not done one as I think the space is a little tight, but I think they are aware there is an issue.

Tags
heater, show, shower, tank, tankless, water