Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Atwood Water Heater

I have a 2015 REV RB with the Atwood water heater. It has been at the dealer many times and was replaced by Atwood because it would overheat and boiling steam would come out of the shower.

They were recalled because of mine.

The recal added a restrictor plate and a label covering it. This made it not work at all. I had to remove the restrictor plate and reset it to the previous position or it would not fire up. It still overheats and pops the over temperature breaker. That requires going outside and getting a screwdriver and removing the outside cover and reset the breaker.

The new REV's now come with Truma hot water heaters / furnace.

What is the possibility of having the defective Atwood replaced with a Truma AquaGo hot water heater?

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I've asked Atwood what they are willing to do in the case that they can't get their on-demand heater operating properly. We had a customer with the same issue and their water heater was repaired by Atwood and is working just fine now. Some of that is removing the restrictors in the faucet so that you get enough flow on the hot water side to activate the burner.

The new REV's come with the combi because we needed to cut weight in order to comply with the new EPA emissions curb weight.

The Aquago will fit in the exact same hole as the Atwood. So for a cost it can certainly be upgraded, but unless Atwood is willing to foot the bill, we are depending on them to make their unit operate properly. If not, we will pressure them for other alternatives. Part of the issue is we do have customers with Atwood's that are working just fine, so I'm not sure the root cause.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I've asked Atwood what they are willing to do in the case that they can't get their on-demand heater operating properly. We had a customer with the same issue and their water heater was repaired by Atwood and is working just fine now. Some of that is removing the restrictors in the faucet so that you get enough flow on the hot water side to activate the burner.

The new REV's come with the combi because we needed to cut weight in order to comply with the new EPA emissions curb weight.

The Aquago will fit in the exact same hole as the Atwood. So for a cost it can certainly be upgraded, but unless Atwood is willing to foot the bill, we are depending on them to make their unit operate properly. If not, we will pressure them for other alternatives. Part of the issue is we do have customers with Atwood's that are working just fine, so I'm not sure the root cause.
The dealer removed all of the flow limiters on every faucet and the shower sprayers, and it still has the problems.

The day we bought the REV, we were there all day waiting for the walk through because the water heater wouldn't work. They swapped parts with the other REV on the lot and finally swapped the entire water heater.

We took the REV out camping that weekend. On the first night the Atwood failed. It happened while we were asleep, it was 3 AM. Boiling water and steam poured out of the overpressure valve and the handle on the valve banged the water heater cover like hitting a trashcan lid with a jack hammer. We took it to the dealer the next morning.

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

PM me your VIN, Contact info and dealer.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Love my Rev

[QUOTE=Tom-n-Dale;1268796]The dealer removed all of the flow limiters on every faucet and the shower sprayers, and it still has the problems.

The day we bought the REV, we were there all day waiting for the walk through because the water heater wouldn't work. They swapped parts with the other REV on the lot and finally swapped the entire water heater.

We took the REV out camping that weekend. On the first night the Atwood failed. It happened while we were asleep, it was 3 AM. Boiling water and steam poured out of the over pressure valve and the handle on the valve banged the water heater cover like hitting a trashcan lid with a jack hammer. We took it to the dealer the next morning.

So the water was heating up at night when no water was even being used ? is it fixed now ?
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

1-877-546-9074 is the number for the Atwood recall center.

Tags
heater, water, water heater