Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #41

That’s how I determined the wire colors, by using the installation drawings for the QD generator that you can get on line. I disconnected the plug then referenced the terminals to the wire colors.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #42

I forgot to mention that I do have the gen. manual
Also I called magnum up and asked about, what I thought was the correct wiring, wire color to what etc. I just compared my drawing (5500 gas) to the 8KW Diesel and everything is just about the same.
Now I just have to get started.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
The wiring diagram for AGS - QD with Onan connectors Attachment 176414
This is a big help... thanks Dennis
Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #44

Our AGS has been road tested now...started on high temp in house and low house battery voltage. [emoji106]
Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #45

AGS questions

I am finally getting started on my AGS. (Told you I was slow)
I have the controller mounted, my wires are ran, but nothing connected. Same color as the wires coming out of the generator. I mounted a water Proof box with a terminal block inside to make connections. It is mounted in a good location near the generator. The wires coming out of the generator go right beside the box so everything is easy to get to. Power from the batteries is a separate cable that also runs right beside the box. I should be able to make any kind of connection needed. (Proper)
When I called Sensata about my controller they told me that mine would be set up like figure 2-10 Three-Wire Momentary Control in my owners manual. That diagram looks good but I think the drawing from the file that bclemens supplied, about the same, but looks better. Attached This diagram shows a generator start/stop switch. Like mine that is mounted on the dash.
I had the same questions when I was only looking at the diagram that is in my owners manual.
My questions:
When looking at the generator start/stop switch, that is on my dash it appears that the wires from that switch are cut and then ran directly to the control unit. And no longer run to the generator?
The same thing with the generator hour meter?
The diagram in the manual shows a view that says inside generator. And there is a start stop switch in the generator, seen when you take the cover off of the generator.
Is the controller kind of taking the place of the cut wires, if they are cut?
(Cummins Onan 5.5 HGJAB)
(ME-AGS-S)
Again thanks for any help I appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA12786-9E83-4D15-86F7-A53F1F55845F.jpeg
Views:	2007
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	177679  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #46

With the Cummins Onan connectors I used, part numbers on photo, I did not have to cut and splice any wires. Just cut the 60’ long connector to terminate in the AGS.
I installed mine in the same compartment as my inverter, auto transfer switch. This is Dmax installs it on the new DX3.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #47

AGS

That connector you showed us before is the best. But I don’t know why but I can’t get to where it plugs into. I don’t know if they cut the wires short or the wires are wedged against something. I can get my arm in there but just touch the connector with a couple fingers. So I started looking and found where the wires come out. I can sit up straight and work on it easy. I won’t just be splicing wires. I have everything to do it right. The control box will be less than 10’ from the gen. It’s mounted inside the motor home now. But if I can get to that connector I don’t mind starting over.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #48

You don’t want to eliminate your remote gen switch. The only time I turn my AGS on is when we leave for the day with RV off campground or boondocking.
Seems that there has to be a plug-in for your remote at the generator. This is where you connect the Y connector to connect your existing remote and the new AGS.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #49

AGS

There is a plug, I can touch it. It is at the back of the generator. I can pull on the cable but the plug won’t pull out enough to see it. I’ll mess with it again in the morning. Just plugging in that “Y” connector would be great.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #50

There is a clip on one side of the plug that you have to lift to separate the generator plug.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #51

AGS Works

I have my AGS working. First try. I did try to get to that plug again but it must be caught on something in the back.
I used a 2 conductor #12 wire suitable for wet locations for the cable from the battery. From the control box I used #14 wire, correct matching colors, oil and gasoline proof etc. I put it in plastic conduit like is used on the motorhome. The cables go into a water proof electrical box. In that box I mounted a heavy duty five gang terminal block.
The diagram that DLfishing provided was great it’s exactly like mine even though mine is a stand alone
Control.
Thanks for taking the time to help me with it.

Tags
generator