Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Battery Tender for 2006 Dynaquest 320

Would anyone have recommendation for Battery Tender for 2 Chassie and 6 Deep cell Batteries. Would like to add Tender while still in RV.
Rlynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Team

The deltran battery tender is fine for a simple 12V battery. I like the CTEK products for more complex systems. They have a family that does more than just keep battery topped off and also have higher current models.

ctek.com

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #3

One of these should be good for your House Battery bank:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G7200-Ul...o+genius+g7200

The 3.5 amp size would be good for your Chassis bank.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #4

Smile Covering RV and solar panels on top

Thanks for the Battery Minder idea. Since covering I will lose the solar charge to
Chassie batteries during storage.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

Don't know your unit but the batteries (house and chassis) are usually only joined when the engine is operation.

Some systems will charge the start batts while the house is shore powered.

You might consider 2 batt tender chargers , one for each bank of batteries.

Better safe than sorry.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

Question House Batteries when Coach Disconnect off

Question: Are the coach side Batteries still getting charged when the coach
disconnect is off and still plugged into shore power.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

I can only speak for my 17 Rev which requires "house" power to be on to charge the house batteries from either shore or generator power. Easy to check with a volt meter at the batteries under various conditions. A call to the factory will also provide info on your specific model.
droadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

6 deep cycle batteries whether 12V or 6V is gonna be around 600 amp hours or more.... something capable of putting out 6-12 amps at FLOAT voltages (13.2>13.5V) should be able to keep up with parasitic and self discharge losses during storage.

Why not just run your converter off of household current with adapters. No need to buy anything if you have a modern 3 stage or better converter. If you still have the 2006 original converter...your money and your batteries would be better served by buying a modern 3 stage converter to take care of them on the road AND in storage.

Also... if charging your house bank does NOT bring up the chassis bank as well...you can install a trik L start device with 3 wires that will top up your chassis batteries AFTER your house batteries are full. Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Hope this is helpful.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #9

And, since the rig is going on 12 years old, I would get all of the batteries tested to see how they are holding up. Unless they've been replaced recently, they are getting to the age where the batteries could have weak cells and beginning to lose significant capacity. I think some of the dedicated battery shops like Interstate Batteries offer to check and load test your batteries for free.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
6 deep cycle batteries whether 12V or 6V is gonna be around 600 amp hours or more.... something capable of putting out 6-12 amps at FLOAT voltages (13.2>13.5V) should be able to keep up with parasitic and self discharge losses during storage.

Why not just run your converter off of household current with adapters. No need to buy anything if you have a modern 3 stage or better converter. If you still have the 2006 original converter...your money and your batteries would be better served by buying a modern 3 stage converter to take care of them on the road AND in storage.

Also... if charging your house bank does NOT bring up the chassis bank as well...you can install a trik L start device with 3 wires that will top up your chassis batteries AFTER your house batteries are full. Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Hope this is helpful.

^^^^what he said^^^^

If your is like mine it came with the Xantrex converter and is a 4 stage charger that is capable of running a low amperage charge continuously without harm to the batteries. Thats what I do.

Tags
battery