Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide Question XL 3801 TS

I re-posted this with a more accurate title. My error in posting the first one:

While doing a little maintenance work I noticed the cables on the outside of my bedroom slide were loose, actually had a bit of droop to them. When I went inside under the bed the cables labeled OUT were very tight, but the cables labeled IN were very loose. So loose the little carriers that the cables are mounted to were hitting the bed frame on both sides. I am assuming that is not the way it is supposed to be and I need to adjust the cables so there is at least enough tension on them to prevent the carriers from hitting the bed frame as they move.

However, before I do something that will jack up my slide mechanism I thought I might put it out here on the Forum and see if I could get some experienced advice. Thanks in advance!
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #2

They definitely need to be adjusted. Unfortunately I haven't had to do mine yet so I don't have any details on the how.

I'll just wait here to see who else can help as im interested in the details also
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

FOURWHL - Is your slide extended currently? If so, can you send me a picture of the cable on the outside of the slide. I posted the original question under a much less descriptive title and another poster commented that a factory rep told him there should be slack in the cable when extended. Makes no sense to me, especially after I noticed the carriers hitting the wood frame under the bed. I don’t have to bring the slide in for another two weeks, so I am hoping to get an answer before I do and potentially cause damage. I tightened the cables just enough to take the slack out but now so there is extreme tension like there is on the “OUT” cables.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

If you have the Norco slide out system that I have on mine. Yes you can adjust the cables and No there should not be tension on some of the cables and slack on the others. Here is a video of how to adjust the cables. This video shows the in/out adjustment on the top of the slide. Mine is on the bottom.
If you have the Norco slide out system, answer me back and I will send you a picture of my cables top and bottom, there is no slack on either the top or bottom. Not tight like a guitar string but not loose either

joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

joet19711 - That is the system I have only mounted under the bed. I did adjust the slack out but not to guitar string tightness. I did not, however, use the middle nut on the carrier bracket at all. I only used the upper and lower 3/8” nuts. Everything is straight up and down. I will say the OUT cables are extremely tight, like a guitar string but that is the way it came from the factory. Mine IN cables were not as loose as the video shows or the slide probably would not have worked. If you PM me a picture that would be great. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
joet19711 - That is the system I have only mounted under the bed. I did adjust the slack out but not to guitar string tightness. I did not, however, use the middle nut on the carrier bracket at all. I only used the upper and lower 3/8” nuts. Everything is straight up and down. I will say the OUT cables are extremely tight, like a guitar string but that is the way it came from the factory. Mine IN cables were not as loose as the video shows or the slide probably would not have worked. If you PM me a picture that would be great. Thanks for the information.
Here you go, also had mine adjusted at the factory in April and they had to
take a link out of a chain. The chain stretched. Take a look at that on the real loose cables. Mine are tight but not too tight and are not loose.
If you push your finger down on the cable and it moves a little its ok.
again, not too tight or too loose, sounds dumb I know LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	botom cable.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	206184   Click image for larger version

Name:	top cable.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	206185  
Old 06-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
I re-posted this with a more accurate title. My error in posting the first one:

While doing a little maintenance work I noticed the cables on the outside of my bedroom slide were loose, actually had a bit of droop to them. When I went inside under the bed the cables labeled OUT were very tight, but the cables labeled IN were very loose. So loose the little carriers that the cables are mounted to were hitting the bed frame on both sides. I am assuming that is not the way it is supposed to be and I need to adjust the cables so there is at least enough tension on them to prevent the carriers from hitting the bed frame as they move.

However, before I do something that will jack up my slide mechanism I thought I might put it out here on the Forum and see if I could get some experienced advice. Thanks in advance!
They are supposed to have some slack, about 1/2 inch. I just replaced the gear box on my bedroom slide and to describe the process would take a whole page on this forum. It is fairly complicated but certainly doable. I have the Bal Accuslide system and went on the internet to download the installation, maintenance and cable adjustment manual. The diagrams are a little hard to figure out but stare at them long enough while looking at the actual slide cables and it begins to make sense. A manual is, I would say, a necessity, without it well good luck.

Interesting to note that bedroom slide moves in and out very easily now and my next project is to loosen the cables on the dinette slide, they are very tight and motor seems to be working hard which is a symptom of tight cables and eventual motor failure. The gearbox failed on my bedroom slide due to poor design so I plan on buying another for the dinette. I was told to make sure I ordered the upgraded gearbox which I did.

I found the video a previous poster put up very confusing and not really informative. There are better ones out there.

Good luck and don't get discouraged, I spent the better part of a day figuring it all out and when I do the dinette adjustment I think it may take me less than an hour.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Think you should have used middle nut on carrier if I am following what you did. For every adjustment you do to one of the color coded cables ( the 3/8 nut) you must do an opposite adjustment on the opposing cable. For example: the red adjustment box, probably left front, the top cable screw adjusts the room bottom (opposing cable left rear top). Think you really need to download the manual. Not able to get you link right now but you can google ACCU SLIDE EXPANDABLE ROOM SYSTEM SERVICE MANUAL. www.norcind.com.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #9

Crazy timing. When we got home yesterday afternoon I noticed that the outside bottom cable at the back of the slide had slack in it. The other three are tight. It made a little noise when I had taken it in earlier yesterday morning. It still slides in and out, but it looks like this particular corner is not going out all the way.

Joe - any advice on how to remove the 'flooring' under the wardrobe/bunk beds to access these adjusters? Are there screws hidden the carpet?

Thanks!
JT
Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Crazy timing. When we got home yesterday afternoon I noticed that the outside bottom cable at the back of the slide had slack in it. The other three are tight. It made a little noise when I had taken it in earlier yesterday morning. It still slides in and out, but it looks like this particular corner is not going out all the way.

Joe - any advice on how to remove the 'flooring' under the wardrobe/bunk beds to access these adjusters? Are there screws hidden the carpet?

Thanks!
JT
Yes, the screws are hidden in the carpet, they are located up towards the top

1/2" of that board, look around you will see them, the adjusters for the aft side cables are located about in front of the bed, the cables for the fwd side
cables are like under the bunk bed. that what they look like under there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	206297  
Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Yes, the screws are hidden in the carpet, they are located up towards the top

1/2" of that board, look around you will see them, the adjusters for the aft side cables are located about in front of the bed, the cables for the fwd side
cables are like under the bunk bed. that what they look like under there
Thank you, sir.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you, sir.
Your welcome
Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Here is the service manual. Page 6 is for cable adjustment...and in the troubleshooting section it says "problem, cable sagging 1 or more inches"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slide Out Rear - accuslide_service-manual.pdf (1.31 MB, 90 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Think you should have used middle nut on carrier if I am following what you did. For every adjustment you do to one of the color coded cables ( the 3/8 nut) you must do an opposite adjustment on the opposing cable. For example: the red adjustment box, probably left front, the top cable screw adjusts the room bottom (opposing cable left rear top). Think you really need to download the manual. Not able to get you link right now but you can google ACCU SLIDE EXPANDABLE ROOM SYSTEM SERVICE MANUAL. www.norcind.com.
that would be Norco Industries | Home
Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

One of my cables had pulled out altogether...the nut and isolator must have worked themselves loose. Took a little while, but I was able to get it all reconnected.

The manual mentions locktite...anyone use it on these cable connections? There was no sign of it on any of the other nuts.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
One of my cables had pulled out altogether...the nut and isolator must have worked themselves loose. Took a little while, but I was able to get it all reconnected.

The manual mentions locktite...anyone use it on these cable connections? There was no sign of it on any of the other nuts.
I wouldn't, will make it a struggle to adjust in the future. The nuts on all my cable ends had a small block of foam pushed through the end of bolt and over top of nut to prevent it from coming loose. they called it a cable lock anti-vibration lock.

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide