Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Before my wife makes me disassemble my Isata 4

How could a mouse get in? She saw a tiny mouse crawl out from under our fridge. I will get him out, but how on earth did he get in? Everything seems so tight and I don't think a mouse can crawl up waxed paint (heat and fridge exhaust). We use our camper weekly and keep it in our garage which is pest free, so we are very confident it got in over past day or two at our current campground. Yes, we are next to the dumpster.....

Any tips would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	183094  
jalans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

Having a DX3 I can’t offer any detailed suggestions but waging this war currently in my barn I can suggest:

Get a can of great stuff and stick your head in every storage bin, crawl under and look under every cabinet. I agree they’re really well sealed but I did find a few spots that could use some more. I also put wire mesh over the heater duct in the wet bay. Thought I had it sealed up but seems they’ve found a new entrance.

For catching them I’m having good luck with the glue traps. Not the most humane but keeps the mess a lot more under control than the snap traps. At this point I’m about to resort to a 5 gal bucket.

Also, somewhat on topic if anybody knows of a feral cat looking for a hunting ground I can recommend one....
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
RV There Yet?

I think you all need to get to know Shawn Woods and Mouse Trap Mondays on Youtube! We live next to a humane society that feeds the feral cats, so we do not have any mouse or other rodent issues.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalans11 View Post
How could a mouse get in? She saw a tiny mouse crawl out from under our fridge. I will get him out, but how on earth did he get in?
Supposedly, if you can stick a ball point pen through a hole, a mouse can get in. Those little devils can scale pipes. They can jump too.

If you're up to it, I'd suggest crawling under that rig and seal any opening. Someone said that fine steel wool works because they can't chew through it.

Then I'd move if possible.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #5

Had mouse in my I5. I think it got in before I picked it up. Where it got in from is a mystery. Used glue trap.
Now when I store it I put in a couple of glue traps. The wife reads about using peppermint and other oils to keep out mice. Don’t know if it works but haven’t had any since the first one.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

They usually climb up the tires to gain access. In my winter storage I put glue traps around the tires to catch any before they get in. I then use the mouse trap boxes like you can get any any home supply store. Of course there is the primitive snap mouse traps, but most seem to use the boxes these days.

There are lots of gaps a mouse could work through. Just think about your slide, it could never move in and out of things were so tight even a mouse could not get through.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

They like to climb power cords too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

On two different trips to NV desert locations camping only overnight I got mouse nests in my TV... pesky suckers...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Supposedly, if you can stick a ball point pen through a hole, a mouse can get in. Those little devils can scale pipes. They can jump too.

If you're up to it, I'd suggest crawling under that rig and seal any opening. Someone said that fine steel wool works because they can't chew through it.

We had a “resident” in our over the winter. While things are sealed really good from factory I did find a few areas that were less than the size of a dime opening. So I took great stuff and made sure every suspect area was sealed. I then removed all food sources and put in 2 Tomcat Kill and Contain traps and two bags of Shake Away Mouse Repellent bags (one up front and one in the back).

We never caught anything but we have also not seen any further signs of the visitor. So don’t know what worked but so far we are visitor free.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
2014 SunSeeker 2300

It is encredible how small of a hole they can jump to and squeeze through. Any place that a pencil will fit, so will a mouse. Someone suggested steel wool which is good idea but that stuff rusts. I would suggest the same thing only made of brass. Tires are usually the way they gain access so cover the ground around the tires with traps. Sticky or live. Just do it. Seal up every hole that has wiring, big or small or any water line or anything coming through. Plug them all!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

Really ugly campground
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #12

We finally resorted to poison after it chewed the water lines behind the hook up panel. We had water going everywhere. Thank goodness it didn’t die in the camper but we were at our wits end. We could hear it at night chewing on stuff.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanmcnabb View Post
Really ugly campground

Doesn't add to the conversation and not even troll worthy.... Epic Fail.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
Ree

Irish spring bar soap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalans11 View Post
How could a mouse get in? She saw a tiny mouse crawl out from under our fridge. I will get him out, but how on earth did he get in? Everything seems so tight and I don't think a mouse can crawl up waxed paint (heat and fridge exhaust). We use our camper weekly and keep it in our garage which is pest free, so we are very confident it got in over past day or two at our current campground. Yes, we are next to the dumpster.....

Any tips would be appreciated!

I have heard mention of irish spring soap as a deturant. Since we like the smell, and rodant do not, I bought two packages and place them around our TT and so far so good. I even pulled the drawers out near the floor and put some back there and in the under storage.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

If you do this, make sure it's stainless steel wool. Regular steel wool will rust.

In another post I just read, someone figured out that if they lit up their trailer with lights, the mice stay away. YMMV (Your mileage may vary)!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #16
Commercial Member

you need more cats.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #17

Over the years we’ve had good luck keeping mice and other critters out by using both fresh cab botantical rodent repellant and bounce dryer sheets original scent.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
I have heard mention of irish spring soap as a deturant. Since we like the smell, and rodant do not, I bought two packages and place them around our TT and so far so good. I even pulled the drawers out near the floor and put some back there and in the under storage.
Even if it doesn't work, at least the mice will be clean and smell nice!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Even if it doesn't work, at least the mice will be clean and smell nice!
Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. Domesticate them. Free pets...they keep the crumbs cleaned up so it does not attract bugs.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #20
clr

We travel with a cat he seems to take it personal if a mouse enters his home. We did have a mouse problem years ago in a storage area right next to a composting site. The old fashion snap traps with peanut butter on them took care of that problem. You can also secure some cat hair and place it into a small fabric type bag and the mice will smell the cat and move on to easier pickings next door. You do have to replace the hair about every year.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote