Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Best Way to Attach Solar Panels on DX3

I am planning on doing 400 watts of solar on my DX3. I hate the thoughts of screwing into the roof but if that is the best way so be it. Looking for input from others with solar and how the factory does it.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

I used industrial strength 2 inch Velcro around all the edges. Held for 4 years. This was on a forest river solera with a fiberglass roof which I didn’t want to punch holes in. Traded for an isata 3, which came with panels
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

I never thought of that one, I have been researching adhesives to glue the panels on with. My DX3 has a curved textured fiberglass roof over top of plywood. One thing I am not sure and would like to find out is if the fiberglass roof is glued or bonded to the plywood underneath. I wouldn't want to glue to the fiberglass if it wasn't bonded to the plywood.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

I used the flexible panels 100w each. I think that’s what dynamax uses. Reason I used industrial strength Velcro is panel is still removable Incase have an issue with one, but really is stuck on good
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

How are the solar panels attached from the factory? I've got the solar panels on my DX3 from the factory but never noticed how they were attached. I can take a look or perhaps Brian can tell us.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

I watched a YouTube video where the guy used EternaBond and went around the panel with it.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Commercial Member

We use 3M VHB tape. There are (4) metal ringed grommet holes at the corners, so we were putting a screw in each just to be safe. Then we go around the perimeter with dicor self leveling sealant at the edges to keep the wind from trying to get under the panels. So far so good.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

Brian, are you installing the flex panels or ridged?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Flex. We just liked the lighter weight and we can go fastener-less installation.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We use 3M VHB tape. There are (4) metal ringed grommet holes at the corners, so we were putting a screw in each just to be safe. Then we go around the perimeter with dicor self leveling sealant at the edges to keep the wind from trying to get under the panels. So far so good.
I added two more panels and also used 3M VHB tape (on Amazon) then went around them with Dicor Sealant. Worked well.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #11

I would think that panels are heavy enough to simply lay on the roof with the help of caulking/silicone adhesive, which at least would give you the ability to move them in the future without leaving any holes. I think any concern about them blowing off while driving is less than we fear.

spread the word!

https://www.rvt.com/rvdetail.php?id=8180893&preview=1
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel