Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
GM

BIRD and now the BIM For Battery Management

Some of you already have experience with the BIRD. That is the Bi-Directional Relay Device. That manages how the batteries charge by monitoring voltages and then using a solenoid to latch/unlatch. We use a Trombetta solenoid, which is well regarded and can be purchased off the shelf.

Precision Circuits, who makes our Multiplex wiring control systems, also developed one and we have been incorporating it into new designs and when we change designs. Serves a similar task, connects the chassis and house batteries, it just does this in a different manner and it eliminates the solenoid.

I have posted info about both here for comparisons. As this is a running change, you will likely see both in the field and even both on the current lines that we produce today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD Sales Flyer.pdf (1.59 MB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf 00-10041-2xx-Battery-Isolation-Manager-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 71 views)

Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Our Force 34 is currently sitting on your lot and almost done. I'll review which one we have when we go to pick it up at Dylans in a month or so.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Thats a better system for sure....nice upgrade!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Some of you already have experience with the BIRD. That is the Bi-Directional Relay Device. That manages how the batteries charge by monitoring voltages and then using a solenoid to latch/unlatch. We use a Trombetta solenoid, which is well regarded and can be purchased off the shelf.

Precision Circuits, who makes our Multiplex wiring control systems, also developed one and we have been incorporating it into new designs and when we change designs. Serves a similar task, connects the chassis and house batteries, it just does this in a different manner and it eliminates the solenoid.

I have posted info about both here for comparisons. As this is a running change, you will likely see both in the field and even both on the current lines that we produce today.
So with my 2019 DX3 37BH when I turn off house battery switch it does not turn them off. I was advised by Dan to start the coach with the house switch off to trick it. That did work, but not permanently. We determined to replace the BIRD. Brandon sent me the solenoid and the BIM. Should I use the BIM in place of the solenoid?
Thanks
BrianSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
western NC mountains!

bclemons, it certainly looks as though the BIM is a much simpler and easier way to accomplish the task - are there any overall differences or drawbacks to the BIM versus the former BIRD?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSB View Post
So with my 2019 DX3 37BH when I turn off house battery switch it does not turn them off. I was advised by Dan to start the coach with the house switch off to trick it. That did work, but not permanently. We determined to replace the BIRD. Brandon sent me the solenoid and the BIM. Should I use the BIM in place of the solenoid?
Thanks
Not in conjunction with the BIRD. It should be BIRD + Solenoid. The BIM is a device that replaces both.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

When replacing the Bird with the BIM. There is a purple and light green wire together on the solenoid. Purple goes to bird. Where does light green go? The Bird has CO+ red wire, IG+ dark green wire. if IG+ dark green wire goes to ig on BIM, Then what to do with light and dark green wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_061208.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	202540  
BrianSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
GM

As far as I know we have not proposed replacing the BIRD with the BIM.

If there is an issue with the BIRD or the Solenoid, we would replace the Bird and the solenoid. While I believe you could replace the BIRD/Solenoid with the BIM, that is not an official method from us. I would have to take to service to see why they would even be suggesting this if that was the case.

Just to be clear...the BIM is not a plug-and-play replacement for the BIRD.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
GM

I did confirm...

"What was intended to be sent was a Bird and Solenoid. What got packaged and shipped was a Solenoid and BIM. I shipped him a Bird last night after hours Next day air. There is a UPS drop box just down the street. His service appointment is today. They will receive the Bird today. "
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #10

I shipped him a Bird last night after hours

Glad you shipped it and not flipped it!

Tags
battery