Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

can i get stain color

I have a 2011 302st..we've taken out the sofa and put in two recliners and a table between. we also took out the little cabinet under the tv and extended it...looks great and lots more storage..challenge is now to match the stain. is there anyway to find that? or brand? it is the orangy color...
thanks
quilttours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Native Hardwoods makes all of our doors. They can normally get you stain...but really, due to aging, it is better to take off a door and have a local shop color match.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Native Hardwoods makes all of our doors. They can normally get you stain...but really, due to aging, it is better to take off a door and have a local shop color match.
When I built my console for in between my theater seats the local paint store matched the stain for me and did a great job.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Remember when matching stain, it is usually critical to know what type of wood you are staining. I have found this especially true in matching stains in an RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilttours View Post
I have a 2011 302st..we've taken out the sofa and put in two recliners and a table between. we also took out the little cabinet under the tv and extended it...looks great and lots more storage..challenge is now to match the stain. is there anyway to find that? or brand? it is the orangy color...
thanks
BC is right on, I had an Entertainment Center built in the cabover bunk area and the best way to match that was to go to a professional cabinet finish shop. All they do is match stains for a living and mine came out perfect. It's work for you, you have to build it, then take it all apart for finish work, then carefully so as not to mar the finish, put it all back together. But you'll really like the finished product. Good luck.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Helpful to start with the right stain

Thanks all, good advice, but it comes down to the fact that we are that cabinet shop. And we can fiddle with the stain and come up with something, but it is always nice to start with the same colors and just intensify to make it match with the aging woods. Yes we have cherry wood and cherry "sun burns" and it ages and deepens the color...knowing what stain they used and color just helps jump ahead of the matching game. We have to match colors in business jobs off and on and it is a long process. We have had our cabinet shop for 25+ years and prior to that we had a body shop, so matching color has been a part of our lives forever. But just like matching color on a car, it is just easier to use the color it started with than to guess at what color it is and then start doctoring it up....there was a label of with some info on it in the one cabinet and thought maybe there was some history or information I could get from Dynamax. But it looks like we are on our own. thanks again.
quilttours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I never said you were on your own...I know Native has shipped quarts of stain out to customer before. It just always matches better in those cases when they get them locally matched.

https://www.nativehardwoods.com

I am not 100% sure....but you could be wanting Early American Cherry. which is a reddish color. Or if you have a picture of it, I can get the name. Most of them are custom colors that they mix.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilttours View Post
Thanks all, good advice, but it comes down to the fact that we are that cabinet shop. And we can fiddle with the stain and come up with something, but it is always nice to start with the same colors and just intensify to make it match with the aging woods. Yes we have cherry wood and cherry "sun burns" and it ages and deepens the color...knowing what stain they used and color just helps jump ahead of the matching game. We have to match colors in business jobs off and on and it is a long process. We have had our cabinet shop for 25+ years and prior to that we had a body shop, so matching color has been a part of our lives forever. But just like matching color on a car, it is just easier to use the color it started with than to guess at what color it is and then start doctoring it up....there was a label of with some info on it in the one cabinet and thought maybe there was some history or information I could get from Dynamax. But it looks like we are on our own. thanks again.
Agree with BC, you aren't on your own, you've come to the right place that's what this forum is all about. I contacted Native Hardwoods in Indiana and they were very helpful with repeated emails asking about the glass, the glass finish (proprietary process and hard to do), and the hardware I needed. I'm sure they'll give you their stain specs. Call them or email them, the VP reached out to me. Good people back there in Elkhart. Jeannie@nativehardwoods.com Good luck.
NativeHardwoods.com
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'm a woodworker and this is good advice. Stains will change over time and you may need custom matching.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Remember when matching stain, it is usually critical to know what type of wood you are staining. I have found this especially true in matching stains in an RV.
Also, use a pre-stain wood sealer. This allows for a more uniform stain consistency. Otherwise, you will get a patchy looking job. At first, I though this was a gimmick to sell something, but it is clear, dries fast and really does work.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #11

Match Stain

We took a panel to ACE and had them make paint that matched exactly. This didn't make sense to me but wife insisted and to my Suprise it looked good and matched exactly.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote