Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #1

Can someone with a Force review this particular feature of your RV

The hot water.....

Trying to figure out if we can be happy with the 10 gal LP/electric tank..

It will mainly be two of us, with occasionally 1 or 2 more. Is there enough hot water.. or is it something that you just have to constantly compromise on.

Wondering if you can crank it up enough to get a solid shower in. Just a general review of the system would help me make a decision... I keep going back and fourth on weather the force is adequate. Can you run the electric and LP heaters at the same time?

Thanks.

It's seems that buying an RV for a first timer is a really tough decision
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
Just a member

Unless you plan to have a nap in the shower, 10 gal is more than adequate. Just the two of us with a 6 gal H2O heater in our TT and we do just fine.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo9 View Post
The hot water.....

Trying to figure out if we can be happy with the 10 gal LP/electric tank..

It will mainly be two of us, with occasionally 1 or 2 more. Is there enough hot water.. or is it something that you just have to constantly compromise on.

Wondering if you can crank it up enough to get a solid shower in. Just a general review of the system would help me make a decision... I keep going back and fourth on weather the force is adequate. Can you run the electric and LP heaters at the same time?

Thanks.

It's seems that buying an RV for a first timer is a really tough decision
Had a 6 gal LP/Electric for years, yes a 10 gallon will be more than adequate and reheat time is very quick...

To be honest LP/Electric is MUCH more trouble free and cheaper than Aqua Hot, had the 6 gallon for over 10 years and replaced the anode once, never a proble with tank or plumbing, replaced one circuit board for auto ignite, like $27 bought a spare and kept it for years and never had another issue...

Yes, you can run electric same time as gas, the gas heated quicker on mine so the electric really didn't ever kick on while both were on, IF we were hooked up to electric we would use it and save the propane...

So 10 gallon LP/Electric Water Heater is a non-issue to be completely honest...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

I agree with the responses so far. We have a 2015 DX3 with the 10 gallon gas/electric hot water, we don't usually take long showers because we boondock often but we have taken very adequate showers without running out of hot water. The water comes out very hot so mixing with cold gives you more then 10 gallons. If the wife and I need to take back to back showers I run both electric and gas for quick recovery time.
Webefine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Home is where we park it

Plenty of hot water

Deb and I full time in our Force 37BH and have never had any problem with a lack of hot water. As others have said, both propane and electric can be used at the same time, but we rarely need to do so. The sole water heater negative on our 2016 model is the lack of a switch to turn on the electric heating from inside the motorhome. As delivered the exterior water heater cover panel had to be removed to access the on/off switch. Easily fixed with the addition of a lighted and labelled A/C switch in the power line to the water heater.
markdebzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Another good point if you live in the southern US: I owned the Komfort Karry-All 36 FKA for 13 years and NEVER once have had to winterize it...drain all the water from the lowest point drains, pump the water pump until it sucks air...leave all the faucets open in bath and sink and outdoor shower...

Never a broken line and never ever winterize absolutely NO problems with hot water heater freezing either, it drained empty at the lowest point drains...

So thats MUCH better than the finicky high maintenance high priced high cost MUST/SHALL/WILL winterize Aqua Hot, in my book, it is over rated as far as I am concerned and it uses LOTSA diesel as well and I don't think the winter heat is very good from it either, but i will see this winter...

Actually I would rather have the 10 gallon Hot Water LP/Electric to be honest...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

this is our second Force with the 10 gallon. No issues, and sometimes we have 5 people using the shower. I did not want to lose the outside storage compartment for the Aqua Hot and that was our main reason for not going with the DX3. Love the 10 gallon water tank. We would consider maybe going to an instant 10 gallon at some point, but not needed at this point.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
This is our 1st RV with aquahot. We love it. EVERYONE can take a real shower, as long as you want, while washing dishes, running the washer. If its just the 2 of us and no other hot water needs at the time well sometimes just use the electric. We are not super handy and winterizing it was a piece of cake. It also provides very nice heat on cold nights. More and more motorhomes are being equipped with it. Can u be comfortable without it. Yes.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

I'm kind of surprised the Truma on demand isn't offered. As long of a shower you want in our little Isata 3.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

This is good information and has honestly swung me a bit....yet again....

I sort of suspected this might be the case. As with everything... there are always pros and cons.... as long as there are workarounds, I can usually adapt and be OK with proven simplicity. I just wanted to make sure I would not be making the wife have a bad experience and start out our new hobby with big comfort strikes against it.

I've come to the conclusion that I can't have it all in my first RV. So, even though I may want other things down the road.. the learning curve just has to come with time.

But the information here has been very helpful. Thanks.

One other question.. Can you add a tankless style into the system aftermarket if the need arises.... I know you probably can't add aqua hot, but more of an additional on demand heater for shore power or via propane. Seems like it could be done for much less than 20+k LOL.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

Can someone with a Force review this particular feature of your RV

Suburban and a few others make one that takes the same size hole in the outside. Your only issue is having the new cover painted to match the rv. Our HD has a lot of paint on that door.

Oh Suburban on demand is about $500 and you add a switch and the cover.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
I agree with the responses so far. We have a 2015 DX3 with the 10 gallon gas/electric hot water, we don't usually take long showers because we boondock often but we have taken very adequate showers without running out of hot water. The water comes out very hot so mixing with cold gives you more then 10 gallons. If the wife and I need to take back to back showers I run both electric and gas for quick recovery time.
Same here...especially when grand children visit...Lots of hot water!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Suburban and a few others make one that takes the same size hole in the outside. Your only issue is having the new cover painted to match the rv. Our HD has a lot of paint on that door.

Oh Suburban on demand is about $500 and you add a switch and the cover.
Cool. I can do paint work on my own if I can get the paint codes... If it is one solid color it would be super easy, but if it spans colors it would be a bit more involved but still very doable.

Would stick with it stock for a while and see how it performs, but nice to know there are solutions if it is an actual problem area.

I'm curious to learn how easy it is to do modifications and maintenance in one of these compared to most things I've worked on. Hopefully there are access points to run new wiring or whatever. Will be Interesting to see what my first project is...
Old 06-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

We have a BH so it all goes in under the bed. Some work to get under there but doable.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
Retired Army Paratrooper

We have never had any lack of hot water either.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Truma is now standard on the 2019 Force..

But for those asking, Truma makes a larger door that is designed to retrofit an existing 10 gallon water heater. You just have to live with the painted black door unless you want to paint to match.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote