Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #1

Chassis battery disconnect shutting off in storage

So I noticed a couple weeks ago when o would go to my 2015 DX3. - the battery disconnect at the door was off on the chassis - I thought perhaps my wife was confused and pushing the wrong switch thinking she was turning off the lights - this was not the case . So I charged them manually and thought that perhaps I had left something on or perhaps the batteries were not fully charged when I replaced them a month ago . In any case that did not solve the problem either - I spoke with Brian at dynamax and he is very helpful and had hoped that would solve the problem as well - it did not . My 2015 has the “ old” system in it I will provide pictures of the bay for information sake . I am staring from the beginning and I have disconnected the batteries and I am taking them both to full charge and then I will load test them and check them again . I am looking for any thoughts anyone might have on what to check or replace to track this problem down ?

Thank you in advance for any ideas and ideas that you have !

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	210618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	210619Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	210620
Old 07-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you are asking. My 2016 has a disconnect near the drivers seat for the engine batteries. I have a coach disconnect near the front coach door that disconnects everything in the coach. I also have a battery disconnect near the batteries. I leave mine plugged in all the time.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

I have a manual shut off for the house batteries as well as the chassis and a “remote “ shutoff for both sets of batteries as well - the house batteries nothing seems to be different- but on the chassis batteries the “remote “ shutoff is “ turning itself off “ when I leave the coach in storage with it connected to shore power - it did not so this in the past - I am trying to track down the problem - I do believe your system and mine are different from a conversation I have had with Brian( from dynamax)
Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I was actually thinking about that today when I came across some old info, that I didn't even know I had.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5301008.000 mobac.pdf (42.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf 5301008.100_MOBACINSTALLMANUAL.pdf (177.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf MOBAC Features[2].pdf (52.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf Training Disk 3 Battery Products Part 1-2-c.pdf (91.7 KB, 40 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #5

Update - I have had the batteries checked at a battery shop - they are good - I only purchased these in May but I am starting there
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

So I believe the chassis batteries are required to run the transfer switch - I took the batteries out to get them checked and found out last night the fridge had defrosted - what a mess - just an FYI so you can learn from my mistakes.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

So yesterday I shut off the manual switch to the cab located under the drivers seat( this should serve the purpose isolating that part of the coach is isolated from the other chassis wiring - I left a trickle charger battery tender as well - in any case the chassis remote disconnect did not turn itself - so I am hopeful that it will now be ok with a night without tender - if this works out it will at least tell me the system is working correctly and there is a drain in the cab section - we’ll see - just keeping you up to date on this as someone else may have this problem in the future !
Old 07-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

update

it's only been a day but the unit did not shut itself down overnight which leads me to believe that there is a small power drain occurring in the "cab" portion of the unit that has been isolated , this perplexes me as well as I would think freightliner would have the appropriate things shutting down to prevent this , if we go another day I will begin to try and try the "drain " down . but I'm not really sure where to begin as I have not changed anything that should be able to cause this . I am open to any ideas??
Jpheifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
So I believe the chassis batteries are required to run the transfer switch - I took the batteries out to get them checked and found out last night the fridge had defrosted - what a mess - just an FYI so you can learn from my mistakes.
Batteries don't have anything to do with Transfer Switch. Transfer Switch is 120 volt AC.

I'm still not understanding what is happening with your coach. Are you leaving your coach plugged in?

I have a 2016 and it has a BIRD device. I would suspect yours does too. This controls a relay which connects house batteries and chassis batteries. If plugged into shore power the BIRD will connect both sets of batteries so they all charge. When the coach is started after the chassis batteries charge back up the BIRD device will connect both sets so that your house batteries now charge.

The BIRD device can go bad as can the relay it controls. A volt meter is your friend.

If you turn off the disconnect under your seat this should prevent battery drain on your chassis batteries. If your chassis batteries are discharging fairly quickly with the seat control off then you have a parasitic drain. You can connect a meter in the AMP setting to see what the drain is (amp wise).

If it is a fairly high load then start pulling 12 volt chassis fuses one at a time will tell you when the load ceases and you can narrow it down.

We just need to know what exactly are your symptoms so we can help.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Batteries don't have anything to do with Transfer Switch. Transfer Switch is 120 volt AC.

I'm still not understanding what is happening with your coach. Are you leaving your coach plugged in?

I have a 2016 and it has a BIRD device. I would suspect yours does too. This controls a relay which connects house batteries and chassis batteries. If plugged into shore power the BIRD will connect both sets of batteries so they all charge. When the coach is started after the chassis batteries charge back up the BIRD device will connect both sets so that your house batteries now charge.

The BIRD device can go bad as can the relay it controls. A volt meter is your friend.

If you turn off the disconnect under your seat this should prevent battery drain on your chassis batteries. If your chassis batteries are discharging fairly quickly with the seat control off then you have a parasitic drain. You can connect a meter in the AMP setting to see what the drain is (amp wise).

If it is a fairly high load then start pulling 12 volt chassis fuses one at a time will tell you when the load ceases and you can narrow it down.

We just need to know what exactly are your symptoms so we can help.

I understand you have a different system than I do the change occurred between your year and nine - so how your coach works is completely different - I have left a detailed explanation of what I am doing - I currently think I may have isolated that the “cab “ or freight line portion of my coach may be draining the batteries to the chassis while I am plugged in in storage .
Old 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #11

So I am going to class this up as I have concluded the mocab is working as designed and the “drain “ is in the cab portion of the rig so I will search for the cause of this and look for a solution when we are traveling.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, storage