Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
GM

Chassis is the biggest price difference. So to compare apples to apples, you probably need to look at Class A DP's about $20k less to get a feature comparison.

It is what it is. They get a rail chassis with no dash, no cab and surround that with aftermarket dash, fiberglass, wood and plastic.

Our Cab is aluminum and steel (crash tested with crumple zones and reinforcements), automotive style doors and windows, robust hood, max insulation package, automotive designed dash and components all built with (non elkhart, in) union labor of course.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Chassis is the biggest price difference. So to compare apples to apples, you probably need to look at Class A DP's about $20k less to get a feature comparison.

It is what it is. They get a rail chassis with no dash, no cab and surround that with aftermarket dash, fiberglass, wood and plastic.

Our Cab is aluminum and steel (crash tested with crumple zones and reinforcements), automotive style doors and windows, robust hood, max insulation package, automotive designed dash and components all built with (non elkhart, in) union labor of course.
So, it's mainly a cab thing? That makes sense. For me , I would have to weigh the pros and cons. I was just interested in why people choose the Super C over a Class A.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

So Rugged Brown, I have a larger family and we do a lot of driving to destinations which means long days at the wheel, and kids need to be able to sleep while we are rolling. Class C's with the cab over offer the most # of dedicated beds without converting tables and sofas, which in some cases are not even usable when all closed up. In my current rig, if I fold down my sofa, there is no longer a path from the cab to the rear without exiting the vehicle or just stepping on the bed.

Some other elements to consider -
  • Service - where and who is qualified to work on the chassis that the manufacturer just wrapped a big house on. Besides that consider things like basic fluid checks and belt replacements on a Class A that has a house wrapped around the motor. Most mechanics curse working on Vans, but a RED is a real PITA.
  • Parts - Right up front is one of the biggest most fragile pieces of a Class A, the windshield. Look at replacements costs and where you can source one, and then where can you get a shop willing to install a 8'wide by 5' tall piece of glass? How many truck stops do you drive by, yeah you will likely find parts for your super c there...
  • Handling - Class A's drive differently due to the position of the driver either over the steering tires or in front of them. BTW, what weight was that class a chassis built to handle, and did the RV manufacturer lengthen the frame, thereby making it weaker.
  • Towing - Not what you are thinking, what if your rig need to be towed? Where and how would this happen on a Class A? Did the RV maker provide provisions for this? As the M2 Chassis is a commercial rig, it is familiar to recovery rig operators and less likely that it would get damaged in transit.
  • Space & Floorplans - online and from friend who own them, they generally feel that there is a lot of wasted space and that class C's have much more efficient use of the space.
  • Cab - Consider the amount of thermal transfer from a single LARGE pane of automotive glass that is common in Class As and then the awkward side windows which are rarely easy to open or have shades made for them. Few Class A's have an adjustable visor to shield you from the sun as it gets lower on the horizon.

I liken it to this Class C = Vehicle with a house strapped to it. Class A = Chassis with house that has a dashboard and windshield.

Challenge just about any Class A manufacturer to show you how they reinforce the seatbelt tiedowns... This is entirely up to the RV maker to offer occupant protections, where as in the Class C's you inherit any of the safety standards forced onto the parent vehicle that the cab and chassis came from.

I keep thinking I may be in the wrong line of work...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
So, it's mainly a cab thing? That makes sense. For me , I would have to weigh the pros and cons. I was just interested in why people choose the Super C over a Class A.
Driving/handling/ride quality - Super C vs Diesel Pusher

You should read thru this thread first.

Branson, MO
jeffseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #15

It is a personal preference thing also. I think the Dynamax looks mean coming down the road, class a looks like a bus. Solely my opinion, don't need anyone yelling at me today.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2