Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Coach keyless entry stopped working

Our coach keyless keypad and keyfob just stopped working. It always worked before, perfectly. Now it seems no power to it at all. Also, the handle outside the door won't light up either. Are these related? Any ideas, anyone? I tried searching the forum but can't find the solution.
Thanks,
Linda
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Ignoring that the door handle won't light which is bothersome, I understand that the key pad gets its power from some contacts near the bottom of the screen door. You might make sure that the contacts are clear and shiny.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

Check fuses of course but don't forget the electrical connection at the bottom of the door, that's for the electric door button and probably the electric step too. If the door/switch alignment is off you might be loosing contact and break the circuit.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Ours has an intermittent issue. I believe its the contacts on the door. If I give the door a tap in the area of the contacts it starts to work again. The contacts are nice and clean. They are spring loaded, so I lubricated with silicone. Still have issue.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Linda I know you have an Isata and not sure this will be any help but I know on the Force there is a fuse under the entry steps. Just an idea.. Good luck
Old 11-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Ours has an intermittent issue. I believe its the contacts on the door.

I have solved many problems with Contact Cleaner. I got a spray can at ACE. Spray it everywhere and work everything while it's still wet. Its worth a try.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

I added dielectric grease to the contact too. Cut down on the contacts getting surface rust
Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Dielectric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I added dielectric grease to the contact too. Cut down on the contacts getting surface rust
Dielectric means "non-conducting." Might be better to use a graphite-filled, conducting grease, although you're probably finding that the mechanical scrubbing that occurs when the door is closed is sufficient to make good contact.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Dielectric means "non-conducting." Might be better to use a graphite-filled, conducting grease, although you're probably finding that the mechanical scrubbing that occurs when the door is closed is sufficient to make good contact.

Larry

Are you sure about that? I have used it in electrical sockets and light sockets on vehicles for years. According to permatex most dielectric grease are conducive
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKKnight View Post
Our coach keyless keypad and keyfob just stopped working. It always worked before, perfectly. Now it seems no power to it at all. Also, the handle outside the door won't light up either. Are these related? Any ideas, anyone? I tried searching the forum but can't find the solution.
Thanks,
Linda

Fuse for this is in the stair steps cable harness. A meter check/ test lamp (12v) at the contacts will verify if power is available. If no power at the contacts then check/replace the fuse near the upper part of the steps assembly. If you have power then clean the contacts and see if you have power at the keypad (press any key they should light up) If lights come on on the keypad then enter your passcode. If it locks but won't unlock ( or vice versa) then call challenger door. There is a known issue with the poplocks keypad. Talk to Arlen at challenger door.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #11

Yes I am sure.

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I have used it in electrical sockets and light sockets on vehicles for years. According to permatex most dielectric grease are conducive
Yes, I am sure.

A dielectric (or dielectric material) is the insulating material inside a capacitor which separates the two metal plates. It does not conduct (no continuous electron flow) but charge does move towards the metal plates. That's why a capacitor blocks DC but (to an extent) conducts AC.

Another example: When installing a domestic water heater in a home with metal piping it is common practice to install "dielectric unions" (see picture). They break the metallic path between the hot and cold water loops to prevent erosion of the water tank liner and pipes.

Here are some definitions:

A dielectric (or dielectric material) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material as they do in an electrical conductor but only slightly shift from their average equilibrium positions causing dielectric polarization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Dielectric, insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material.
https://www.britannica.com/science/dielectric

What is a Dielectric? - Definition from Techopedia
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/603/dielectric
A dielectric material is a type of insulator which becomes polarized when it comes in contact with an electrical field. It can easily support an electrostatic field even though it is not a conductor of electricity.

Are you sure you weren't reading a disclaimer from Permatex, perhaps saying that the product wasn't a perfect dielectric? Why don't you post their statement?

Larry
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the input. Apparently the contacts were misaligned. DH adjusted and it works now. Not sure how they misaligned but we've had trouble with the door closing properly since we got it. Dealer has adjusted this door twice now, and DH once and still wonky.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #13

That's great! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Yes, I am sure.

A dielectric (or dielectric material) is the insulating material inside a capacitor which separates the two metal plates. It does not conduct (no continuous electron flow) but charge does move towards the metal plates. That's why a capacitor blocks DC but (to an extent) conducts AC.

Another example: When installing a domestic water heater in a home with metal piping it is common practice to install "dielectric unions" (see picture). They break the metallic path between the hot and cold water loops to prevent erosion of the water tank liner and pipes.

Here are some definitions:

A dielectric (or dielectric material) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material as they do in an electrical conductor but only slightly shift from their average equilibrium positions causing dielectric polarization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Dielectric, insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. When dielectrics are placed in an electric field, practically no current flows in them because, unlike metals, they have no loosely bound, or free, electrons that may drift through the material.

https://www.britannica.com/science/dielectric

What is a Dielectric? - Definition from Techopedia

A dielectric material is a type of insulator which becomes polarized when it comes in contact with an electrical field. It can easily support an electrostatic field even though it is not a conductor of electricity.

Are you sure you weren't reading a disclaimer from Permatex, perhaps saying that the product wasn't a perfect dielectric? Why don't you post their statement?

Larry

Dielectric unions and diectric grease are two different things. I appreciate your input but you are wrong with the grease. It is made for electric sockets and light sockets, which wouldn’t work if it didnt conduct. Here is the definition from permatex.

Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. Extends the life of bulb sockets. Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. Also prevents spark plugs from fusing to boots. Required for modern high energy ignition systems.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #15

Dielectric grease

I
Quote:
Dielectric unions and diectric grease are two different things. I appreciate your input but you are wrong with the grease. It is made for electric sockets and light sockets, which wouldn’t work if it didnt conduct. Here is the definition from permatex.

Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion. Extends the life of bulb sockets. Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connection. Also prevents spark plugs from fusing to boots. Required for modern high energy ignition systems.
The permatex explanation of what dielectric grease does never says it conducts electricity, it even says it prevents voltage leakage..... Dielectric grease is not a conductor.
harleybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #16

Coach keyless entry stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybiker View Post
I

The permatex explanation of what dielectric grease does never says it conducts electricity, it even says it prevents voltage leakage..... Dielectric grease is not a conductor.

Ok so explain how a light bulb still works if you put it in the socket? You guys are arguing semantics . I added it to the door contacts, they still work, so they are still conducting.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Ok so explain how a light bulb still works if you put it in the socket? You guys are arguing semantics . I added it to the door contacts, they still work, so they are still conducting.
Think about it this way Halla. If dielectric grease was a conductor then it would connect the ground and hot sides of your light bulb causing a dead short, just as if you removed the bulb and stuck a screwdriver in the socket and touched the side of the socket to the button on the bottom. Hence a dead short. Dielectric grease will keep the moisture out of a connector or socket without causing a short. The light bulb still makes it’s normal connection despite the grease.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Dielectric Grease vs Conductive Grease

Interesting. I never really thought about it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #19

As I said above...

Quote:
As I said above, it is likely that the scrubbing action of inserting a lamp into the socket displaces enough grease that electrical contact is made.

Halla, if you are so certain that dielectric grease conducts, please try this experiment and report the results:
  • Place a dollop (maybe marble-sized) onto a sheet of glass or plastic.
  • Take your ohmmeter probes and measure the resistance from across the glob of grease.
  • Report the resistance.
  • No fair touching the probes inside the greaseball.

Larry