Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Counter top Pop Up electrical outlet

One observation my DW made was there is no outlet to plug the coffee maker into on the kitchen counter of the Isata 3. I guess you have to run an extension cord from underneath the upper cabinet down to the counter top.

I saw this one on another MH & thought it might work on the Isata 3.

Here's the specs on it:
$59.84 Providing a practical solution to power and charging needs, giving you access to power outlets and then neatly retracts, hidden from view. Unit must be plugged into an electrical outlet with GFCI protection.
Features include:
Attractive black plastic housing.
Specially designed handle for easy pull-out.
No wiring necessary, easy to install and features a 6' power cord.
2 - AC receptacles, 120V / 60Hz.
2 - USB 2.1A charging/data ports, charge via 120V.
12 amp.
Requires 12" space under work surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop up outlet.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	145045  
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
That actually looks pretty cool

The "where" might be a consideration ... some countertops will see plenty of water - spillage - mess ... while others would be excellent for placement.

(Edit/add) - "generally" USB charge ports tend to be not-long-lived.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

We have our Kerig plugged into just that outlet you mentioned and put a small command clip to hold it out of the way. My only concern adding the outlet you posted would be using up any precious counter top space that is already limited. Will follow to see where you located it.
milkman55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
We have our Kerig plugged into just that outlet you mentioned and put a small command clip to hold it out of the way. My only concern adding the outlet you posted would be using up any precious counter top space that is already limited. Will follow to see where you located it.
Ya, that's a real concern. I did see one on-line that was flush with the counter top when not in use. Not sure why there isn't a wall outlet in the kitchen area.

We're still in the looking stage before we order a Sprinter. Hope we're not causing any trouble

Regarding the USB port, there was a model that only had a 120v outlet. Here's the info on that:
$55.61 Carlon RWSR Retractable Work Surface Receptacle, With 6' AC Power Cord, Black RWSR Item: 0067676 Cat: RWSR Mfr: Carlon UPC: 034481009849

Dave
Attached Images

caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Our new cardinal 3250 RL has this little feature in the counter top. Very handy for a coffee pot or slow cooker
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Considerably more expensive, but we put a couple of these in when we had our granite counters put in our home. They are good for spills and have held up beautifully.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2799366...d-power-strips
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

I have this in my 5er and it works great. Came already installed
Phoenixscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Our coffee pot doesn't have a very long cord, but it's long enough to plug into that under cabinet outlet. I would want to make sure any added outlets in the kitchen sink area were protected by a GFCI.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #9

I have an Isata 3 and have no trouble plugging in the coffee maker to the outlets under the cabinets. It isn't very far and my cord is pretty short on the coffee maker. Additionally I found a coffee maker that only draws 900 watts so it can be run on my inverter so you don't have to worry about the quiet hours for the generator in the morning.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

This looks like a really good idea except:
1. Longevity. This is a slide mechanism and it would have to be held from the back while plugging a cord into the outlet, then holding it from the back to unplug. Some plugs can be pretty difficult to seat/unseat. Reviews of similar devices state they may be cheaply made.
2. "Unit must be plugged into an electrical outlet with GFCI protection". Unless this is installed by the factory, there are no outlets concealed under the counter or inside the kitchen cabinets. This would also be true for a bricks and mortar install. Wiring could be a challenge.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I had the exact issue since the Kuerig mini has a short cord. I bought an outlet and tapped into the outside outlet that was accesible from the under counter cabinet. I carefully cut a hole in the knife board behind the stove and mounted it from underneath with short screws.
Hope this gives you some ideas. I can't see spending 60 on that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00189-20110817-1646.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	145065
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Commercial Member

We have looked at the "pop-up" outlets on numerous occasions. We did not pull the trigger for a few reasons.
1. It is 110V. Which is fine, but that means the USB's need 110V as well. I would rather have native 12V USB's (that we install) so that you don't need 110V to operate. Either that or you have to have that power strip plugged into an inverted plug for the USB's to work. Most people assume you just plug into USB port and it works. Well...not quite.

2. Finding an area for that to install. In a 5th wheel you tend to have a lot more counter space so finding someplace to put it is easier. See 3...

3. What goes up, must come down. So you find a good spot to put it up, but you still need a blank cavity down below to plug into. Also, it has to plug into a GFI so not only do you need to plug it in, you really need access to the plug you are plugging into. So in the end you need a lot more space for it than you think.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #13

we've seen those actually in units where the sink is in the island and didn't care for that because of being there where water is near by, but also saw one on a table that popped up for use. that Idea I liked, because we like to put our toaster at the table so we can toast bread for breakfast while we eat. (our new Chappy has an outlet at the table in the wall.) we actually walked away from a rear Kitchen floorplan because of lack of outlets in the kitchen area. it had NONE at all, even near any of the counter top area on a wall or such. I asked the salesman how would someone use a coffee pot? He said He hadn't noticed that the entire kitchen was without any outlets at all
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #14

We have the exact same pop-up electrical outlet on our Cardinal 3250, but we rarely use it for our coffee maker - - - takes up too much valuable cou9nter space, and we have a separate niche where the coffee maker lives very comfortably. The utility is very handy for charging cell phones and the like, but it is usually submerged to make room for my cooking paraphernalia.

I'd go for an inexpensive extension cord.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #15

use it all the time on our cardinal 3825 for Keurig and an electric griddle.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #16
"On the road again"

Came as standard equipment on our Cardinal 3456RL and we love it. Ours has electric plugs plus two USB plugs. And, the island is huge so we have plenty of space to utilize this nice feature.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, pop up