Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Cushions, dinette

I have an Isata 4 with a u-shaped dinette. See pics below. I would like to know what others have done so they can use this as a bed. I was sent a long cushion, 4x5x40 but it doesn't fill in the gaps. I configured the way the videos for the 3&5 showed. I don't like that the cushions are rounded. Any ideas? The back cushion is not square and only 1 inch thick.(see last 2 pics). It needs a square cushion.

Susan NClick image for larger version

Name:	9931.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	213039Click image for larger version

Name:	9932.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	213040Click image for larger version

Name:	9930.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	213041Click image for larger version

Name:	9946.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	213042Click image for larger version

Name:	9936.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	213043Click image for larger version

Name:	9952.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	213044
sneuzil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Your first pic is the closest to correct...you just need to wedge that final long cushion into the gap. It might need to compress some of the other cushions, that way it is a tight fit.

I posted earlier, what makes a good bed, makes a bad dinette and what makes a good dinette makes a bad bed. This is the compromise. IF all the cushions were perfectly flat/square, then it would be worse than sitting in a church pew. The back cushions are slightly rounded because it allows for a small "angle" when sitting. The lower cushion is slightly larger than the top cushion which lets you lean back and still have lower back support.

There are a few things you can do...put the bumpy part at the end, so its really just taken up by the pillow or where your legs are. OR, you can flip it over and it will be flat on that side...still leave it for your legs.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

Thank you bclemons. Next question....I was writing to ask about putting a shelf in the top part of my pantry and was told engineering said they could not support doing this. I had asked for a set of rails to build it myself. But then was told to buy them at HD or Lowe's. If engineering doesn't support it why suggest buying my own?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Always Learning

Trust me, get an air mattress to fit the space. Your guests will appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuzil4 View Post
Thank you bclemons. Next question....I was writing to ask about putting a shelf in the top part of my pantry and was told engineering said they could not support doing this. I had asked for a set of rails to build it myself. But then was told to buy them at HD or Lowe's. If engineering doesn't support it why suggest buying my own?
I would also recommend buying rails locally. Some of our stuff (especially interior walls) end up getting "cut to fit" as each unit might be a little different. Plus it would be cheaper.

Engineering likely did not sign off in that they did not specifically design the upper section for shelves, so that is the corp response. It will likely be fine, but that would be a DIY project. If you post a picture of the location and plan, I'd be glad to give my personal opinion.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

Even with those white shelves I still have wasted space above. But I need to be able to slide them out so I can get to the items in back Click image for larger version

Name:	1566442343186.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	213059Click image for larger version

Name:	1566442371383.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	213061
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member

If you're looking to just do a sliding shelf, then just a 3/4" butcher block slab or wood slab attached to two drawer guides would work fine. The front of the drawer guide would just screw to the face style....the issue is going to be installing the BACK of the guide as it would need to be spaced off the wall the same as the fronts are.

If this were me...if I am not installing more drawers, (which would be harder) and I just wanted a sliding shelf to set my rack on...

I would measure from the inside edge of the cabinet to the edge of the stile where the drawer guide is attached (both sides). I would cut a shim that is the same thickness on either side that is the same height as my drawer guide. Use construction adhesive to put those into place...if you can get a screw into the front and back sections as an extra precaution great (that way if there is no backer to screw a drawer guide into, you should be fine screwing into the shim and wallboard...but not too long of a screw). Then you screw the front of the drawer guide into the side of the face stile (just like the existing ones) and the back into the shim material...the 2nd part of the drawer guides to the 3/4" board. You've got yourself a slide out shelf and you can set whatever you want on it. The shelf would have to be centered though or it won't slide past the door latch.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1566442343186.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	213083  

Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Retired Army Paratrooper

I agree with what BC is saying, no need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Like he said though make sure your screws are not too long.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #9

Gave up the use as a dinette for this space. Too tight. Made new cushions to fill it as a day bed with backs and lots of pillows. Honestly Dog sleeps here most nights and we use it as a big couch/day bed. Have not set up table since 3rd trip 3 years ago.... HOW WE ROLLL:::.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote