Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 AM   #1

Custom mods that the manufacturer should have done...

There may be another thread like this but nothing I had seen. Why doesn't everyone list any custom mods that they have done that they think the manufacturer should have done. Post pics so others can see and list your RV so people can get an idea what will work on their RV.

Of course, I start this thread at 1:32am because I can't sleep and don't have pics but my only mods are..

2018 DX3

1)ordered T stop for refrigerator doors

2) installing top cupboard shocks to keep vertical doors open

3) installed curtain rail behind driver's seat all the way across for privacy. (I hate the cheap stick on window sunshades they offer)

4) getting done now, orange LED strips down entire length of RV and enclosed trailer. Both sides in bright orange.

5) Installed camera on back of trailer with a switch on the dash to view behind the trailer, not just the RV.

6) Future mods.... upgrade the speakers and stereo up front.

I'll post pics when I get my DX3 back from the stereo shop.
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Good idea, good topic. I am currently doing all of the mods I can to my HD, taking pics along the way. I will probably post them all at one point if possible.

some of them so far.

1. Changed all exterior lights to clear LED, blends in better with body/paint scheme.
2. Painted extra set of truck mirrors in black to match body, getting another set of truck steps powedercoated in black to match cab. Going for stealth look on this unit.
3. Building and adding custom shelves (this weekend) to the cabinet behind the bedroom TV, cabinet over kitchen sink, under bath vanity and over stereo in front of the coach.
4. Changed exterior speakers to polk, using high end speaker carpeting in exterior TV cabinet, adding 1" thick TV swivel to exterior tv.
5. Changing dash to carbon fiber
6. adding mudflaps (others have done that here)
7. Caulked all exterior cabinets where plastic meets the metal, helps cut down on dust/mist
8. added 50amp cable door with rollers in floor of cabinet, makes pulling that huge cord in/out much easier
9. upgrading under hood airhorn
10. changing grille to Caliber 9 custom, all black (of course)
11. Changed kitchen faucet to black Delta
12. my fingers hurt from typing. I will add more later
Old 04-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1) I agree....we're trying to use a nice stainless steel one, but we can't get the fridge mfg to sign off on putting screws in the door. Double sided tape...might be an option.

2) Long story you can see elsewhere. Fix a problem, create a problem. I think we have it worked out now.

3) This was not our idea. We got this from customers. I saw LOTS of people forgoing the curtain for the sun shades. I called the company and got them to get them to us with our logo. While I agree the curtain looks better, it is not as functional. The solar shades protect the dash and does not let heat build in the cab area (a curtain does). When we were at our dealer show in Sept, the cab was roasting in the sun. We put those heat shields up, swiveled the seats and the temp dropped 20 degrees. There is a better looking option that has magnets...but they are heavier, don't roll up as cleanly and are 20 times the cost. I have thought about doing both...solar shields and the curtains...but know that ALL of you will pay for them both, regardless if you only want one. So that's sort of the catch 22 there.

4) We have tested color changing LED lights....but they all still come from China and they were very finicky to install. My proto in June will have color changing, app controlled LED's. They are just not ready for primetime.

5) Is this still a "MFG should have installed" or just a mod? I'm not sure this is something I would ever do...too many issues.

6) Agree. We have been working with JBL and I think they have a system...but the M2 is not really set up for good sound. So you really need to add speakers, not just upgrade and that is a whole other issue. WE have looked at locating more speakers in the ceiling, just over the Driver/passenger.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Ideas for Isata 3

My new Isata 3 is supposed to come off the production line on or about May 3. For the past 6 months I have been educating myself regarding my purchase. I have had numerous phone calls with the Dealer in Grand Rapids where I am buying the coach which have been most helpful. I have also lurked on this Forum extensively which has been a great source of information. In the spirit of constructive criticism, based on what I’ve learned, here are my suggestions on how the Isata 3 could be improved by the manufacturer. Comments from existing Isata 3 owners would be appreciated.
1. Make and market the Isata 3 as CPAP ready: Install 12 volt DC outlets next to the bed or put the existing 120 volt AC outlets on the inverter circuit. There are already USB 5 volt outlets and 120 volt AC non inverter outlets present, so this a very inexpensive modification/ upgrade which many customers would use.
2. Make and market the Isata 3 as TPMS ready: Install metal valve stems and metal extensions on the inner wheels so that the purchaser does not have to replace the rubber stems and extensions after delivery. Again, this could be done by the manufacturer at far less cost than after market and would be something many customers would appreciate.
3. Consider a slightly larger inverter, i.e. 1600 watts and put the microwave on the inverter circuit. This would allow for the brief use of the microwave without starting the generator and the brief use of slightly larger appliances.
4. Fix the display so that the side view cameras don’t blind you at night when you use your turn signals if that really is a problem.

That’s it! After 6 month of research that is all I can come up with. I can’t wait to get my coach, go on the factory tour, and drive it 2,400 miles home to Washington state!
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

3) This was not our idea. We got this from customers. I saw LOTS of people forgoing the curtain for the sun shades. I called the company and got them to get them to us with our logo. While I agree the curtain looks better, it is not as functional. The solar shades protect the dash and does not let heat build in the cab area (a curtain does). When we were at our dealer show in Sept, the cab was roasting in the sun. We put those heat shields up, swiveled the seats and the temp dropped 20 degrees. There is a better looking option that has magnets...but they are heavier, don't roll up as cleanly and are 20 times the cost. I have thought about doing both...solar shields and the curtains...but know that ALL of you will pay for them both, regardless if you only want one. So that's sort of the catch 22 there.
I like the idea of having the sun shades to protect the interior, my wife freaks out that while the lights are on you can see that .0000563" gap around the window.

Quote:
4) We have tested color changing LED lights....but they all still come from China and they were very finicky to install. My proto in June will have color changing, app controlled LED's. They are just not ready for primetime.
This was just a mod that I did. There is a company that is called Boogey lights and they make a superior LED light bar. The company I am having mine installed literally stopped installing LED's until they used the Boogey lights. Now, that's all they use and haven't had any problems.

Quote:

6) Agree. We have been working with JBL and I think they have a system...but the M2 is not really set up for good sound. So you really need to add speakers, not just upgrade and that is a whole other issue. WE have looked at locating more speakers in the ceiling, just over the Driver/passenger.
That would be nice.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #6

Isata 3.fw...we bought curtain rod at Ross for $16 and screwed two curtain rod hangers into ceiling at seam just behind cockpit. Curtains were hemmed to floor length. You could add insulated curtains for more temperature control if you wanted. We stopped the rod just short of the above the door TV so it blocks the upper left view a little bit.
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

Yup, would love maybe a 2000 watt inverter for sure!
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

I should have posted that my list is things I am doing, not things I feel Dynamax should add. Sorry I half read the post.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

Custom mods that the manufacturer should have done...

Isata 5, Removed accordion door, added pocket door. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	168061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	168062
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I should have posted that my list is things I am doing, not things I feel Dynamax should add. Sorry I half read the post.

All except number 9! LOL We need a decent air horn. I hit the air horn and thought something was wrong. Lol. That’s one of my mods in the future.

Mark
Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
No such thing as a perfect house (or motorhome). I have always felt that a house is not a home until you put at least one hole in the wall (intentional hole). Always like to put my personal touch on things and make it a bit different.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
No such thing as a perfect house (or motorhome). I have always felt that a house is not a home until you put at least one hole in the wall (intentional hole). Always like to put my personal touch on things and make it a bit different.
I had to laugh when I read that... many years ago I painted a very expensive set of Harley Tanks for a guy. He came, looked at he paint job, took his key out and cut a 2-4” scratch in the tank. 🙄

I was like WTF?

He just looked at me and said “there, now I don’t have to worry about the first scratch”

Okaaaay....
Old 04-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #13

Orangecrush, would you believe at 60 I still have friends that I won't wear new running shoes around because they have to step on your toe to scuff it. They get the Okaaaay and the head shake.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
Orangecrush, would you believe at 60 I still have friends that I won't wear new running shoes around because they have to step on your toe to scuff it. They get the Okaaaay and the head shake.
LMAO, I completely understand... it’s like they’re still in high school. Why in the hellbdo they feel the compulsion to dirty my brand new shoes??? 🤣🤣🤣
Old 04-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #15

I would add raising the trailer hitch higher at the factory and trimming the side rails on it too. When you see the bare chassis at the factory this would be like a 1 hour job. Once the rear cap is installed its still doable but takes a lot more time.

With the long rear over hang on these things, getting almost 4" more ground clearance helps a lot.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I would add raising the trailer hitch higher at the factory and trimming the side rails on it too. When you see the bare chassis at the factory this would be like a 1 hour job. Once the rear cap is installed its still doable but takes a lot more time.

With the long rear over hang on these things, getting almost 4" more ground clearance helps a lot.
I agree about raising the hitch. I had to add a 4” raised receiver just to make my trailer level.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #17

Wife’s improvements

Dimmer switch on LED interior lights. Play the television sound thru the stereo speakers. Schematic of the walls so she can put hangers up for pictures and such. (She is sitting here telling me this off the top of her head). I personally like it like it is.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1. Multiplex allows dimming. Working on that and is already on most models.
2. That should be available on all 2019 models and most 2018 models (if not all)
3. Is your picture 300 lbs? Otherwise, a hollow core door anchor works great. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Bra...CABEgJi0_D_BwE this will work. My favorite...velcro for bouncing RV pictures.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #19

I'd sure like to see pictures of those curtain rods and curtains behind the driver.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #20

Thank you bcclemons....my hubby was kind enough to give my suggestions. I hope to add some art to the walls but am unsure where due to hidden pipes or wires. The TV would be better to pkay through the wall speakers, like when a dvd is played. Again, thank you!
Ggmlowry is offline   Reply With Quote